The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

FIAV blockoff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CvicKila02

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2002
Enfield_CT
hey, i have searched everywhere on how to block off a FIAV. i have checked vfaq, http://www.vallotton.com/fiavblockoff.asp , but on there it doesn't show what part to block off i was wondering if i use jbweld what holes to fill up with jb and what to leave open for the ISC motor since they both share that part.

I found this online somewhere its a FIAV blockoff plate now it only has one small hole in it, is that all the ISC motor needs?

This is the Vfaq homemade blockoff plate, i'm wondering why there is so much more open than the other blockoffplate. If anyone could let me know what to fill up that would be awsome. Thanks

Attachments

• Fiav fix.jpg
    Fiav fix.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 5,092
  • fiav CNC.jpg
    fiav CNC.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 4,145
  • HOMEMADE FIAV.JPG
    HOMEMADE FIAV.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 2,993
The home made plate just blocks off the FIAV but leaves the IAC to function as normal. That is why it has very specific ares cut out. The billet block off plate will remove the entire lower portion of the TB. This will include both the FIAV and the IAC. The holes are the same as the lower portion of the TB.

www.qprinc.com

That is were you get it. I have one on my car and it works very well and looks super nice. My only concern is that I may not be abel to tun my AC becasue that IAC wont be there to compensate for the extra load of the AC compressor. We will see.

CvicKila02 said:
hey, i have searched everywhere on how to block off a FIAV. i have checked vfaq, http://www.vallotton.com/fiavblockoff.asp , but on there it doesn't show what part to block off i was wondering if i use jbweld what holes to fill up with jb and what to leave open for the ISC motor since they both share that part.

Still wondering what numbers on that picture that i should block off with the jb weld 1,2,3,4? I will be filling the holes with jb weld and putting it in an oven at 350 for 15min till it hardens does anyone think that would work to block the FIAV off?

well i am assuming that #'s 3 & 2 should be blocked off and 1 & 4 should be left open for the ISC? is this correct. Please help me if you know my idle is at 3,500rpms after the car warms up and i can't drive the car like that .

i just blocked mine off yesterday. 3 and 4 is all i did. used a product called quick steel, like jb weld howver much faster set-up time. put it in there let sit about an hour then put it back on the car. wish i did it a long time ago to cure my idle surge. oh ya blocked off the egr valve the same way while i was at it. guess what no grounding off the ecu to set biss screw neither :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

i am lost here.

so would it be worth it to buy the billet piece from qpr or just make the block off plate?

need to know soon because i am using a tb from a 90 tsi because my fiav went bad and i am going to sell it when i get my 14b on there and my 18g on my car.

I would just use Jb weld or make your own blockoff plate. I'm going to try building my own blockoff plate out of sheet metal and put it on my car :thumb:

I believe that 2 and 3 are the holes that should be blocked off. If a Wisman on here could give us a final answer that would be great.

At least one wiseman thinks blocking off the FIAV is a horible, getto idea. Often used when somebody can't figure out what's really wrong and the lack of understanding how the FIAV works only supports this.

This is my opinion, we don't need to get into a discussion about why this is the best mod ever. :)

Discussing how you identified that the FIAV was faulty would be useful to others reading this later.

Think about what your looking at and a little testing will confirm how the FIAV works.
This is clearly explained in the second paragraph of the VFAQ quoted.
The third paragraph explains which passage to seal.

#1 in the picture is the common air inlet passage for both the FIAV and the ISC.
#2 is the coolant passage. Coolant comes in one side and exits from the other.
#3 is the air outlet passage for the FIAV bypass.
#4 is the air outlet passage for the ISC bypass.

To block off the fast idle bypass you fill #3 or block it with a plate.

Steve

Well i started this project tonight, and i though i would finish it. I had a very hard time getting the TB off because the throttle cable box was in the way. Then when i got everything off the FIAV is held on by cheap philips head screws which stripped out so i had to cut them off and then use some plyers to twist the studs out. So then i made a trip to Home depo and picked up some screws. ITs late now and i'm calling it a night, things that seem like they take a few min usually take days LOL

i see that some people have blocked off #2 and #3. the wiseman says that you only have to block off #3 but can some one tell me the advantages of blocking off #2 besides that coolant flows in and out.

forget about the coolant passage just reroute coolant line back to heater hose. 3 and 4 are the air passages going to the intake side of the throttle body. who cares what air gets to the throttle body. it the air that gets pass the throttle body plate that matters

STEVENGAD said:
3 and 4 are the air passages going to the intake side of the throttle body. who cares what air gets to the throttle body.
I think you mean the intake side of the manifold. 1 is the intake side of the throttle body.

Steve

I agree with STEVENGAD, after i finished this mod i looked at it and was like WTF why didn't i just loop the coolant lines to eachother and plug up the open ends with jb weld. IMO it serves to do the same exact thing maybe better because now you won't have any coolant going to your tb. If i get any leaks i'm just going to loop the lines and plug the inlet and outlet

i pluged the fiav on my 90 tb. after about 4-6 months it starts to act up again.

any ideas on how to plug it for good so that it will hold up. i know regular welding the hole shuts will fix the problem but i work everyday and need my vehicle.

late last night I tried to blockoff the isc/fiav this is getto and cheap but it worked great,
separated the 2 halves, used some gasket material and made a gasket to go between the 2
the only hole in it were for the screws so it blockedoff everything water hole and all, agood helping of silicon to make sure it sealed tight, then i ran the hose from the thermostat back to the pipe bypassing the throtle body
set the idle at 825rpm and it work great, you have to tap the gas to get it started sometimes
but it is wearth it

I just performed this mod again for the second time this weekend after getting fed up with the idle. It was for the second time because the first time I used rtv to plug hole #3 and it worked great until I had a nitrous backfire which melted the rtv and my surge started again. So this time I put Quicksteel inthe hole and JB Weld on top of that and I'll find out tomorrow if all is good again.;)

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I have been doing a lot of searching to find that qpr throttle body block off plate. With no luck I have not been able to find it. It's a sick piece of work. Sorry I just don't feel like taking out the JB weld to do this mod.:dsm:

Last edited by a moderator:
thegchild04 said:
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I have been doing a lot of searching to find that qpr throttle body block off plate. With no luck I have not been able to find it. It’s a sick piece of work. Sorry I just don’t feel like taking out the JB weld to do this mod.:dsm:

That blockoff was made by Quick Precision Racing. Last I heard was that the owner shut down shop and vanished. You only choice is to either source one used or make your own.

boostedinaz said:
Not entirely true anymore. I saw these the other day. The first link just blocks off the FIAV and leaves the IAC alone. The second removes the entire lower portion of the throttle body just like the QRP.

http://www.jmfabrications.com/catal...id/56?osCsid=26eb738ac12c29991765f91e9ea79a7a

http://www.jmfabrications.com/catal...id/56?osCsid=26eb738ac12c29991765f91e9ea79a7a

You posted 2 links to the fiav and isc blockoff. Here is the fiav only blockoff.

http://www.jmfabrications.com/catal...id/57?osCsid=26eb738ac12c29991765f91e9ea79a7a

I didnt know that JM was making them now. Thanks for the info and links.

92awddsm said:
You posted 2 links to the fiav and isc blockoff. Here is the fiav only blockoff.

Thanks for the fix.

thegchild04 said:
so its only for a 1g TB, i thought you can get them for 2g's? i just checked my tb they look the same why would they say there only for 91-94

Both the 1G and 2G TB's are the same. I am not sure why they only specify those years.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back