Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2002, 09:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 15
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to jpdst29

1g Wheels and Tires Size Questions [merged]fit fitment

All 1g wheel and tire size questions from the newbie sections are merged here.

hi,
i am interested in putting 18" motegi MR-7 wheels on my 1991 plymouth laser. my only problem is i do not know if they will fit in the wheel well with tires. if anyone out there has 18" wheels on their laser....please let me know so and also tell me what size tire you have on the wheel. i would also like to know how snugly they fit in the wheel well. if 18's dont fit i guess i will have to go for 17 inch wheels. what is a good size tire that would fit a 17" wheel?

thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me

jerome

Last edited by wret; 03-11-2008 at 08:04 AM.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 09:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 51
Photos: 3
Send a message via ICQ to 1_fst_rs Send a message via AIM to 1_fst_rs
i have 18 inch focal r3 rims on my laser rs
and i cant think of what size tire right off hand... but they fit and have about 2 inches or so.. no rubbing
Visit 1_fst_rs's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-09-2002, 07:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Zookeeper/Founder

Tech Posts: 3,243
Photos: 31
Classifieds Rating: 32
One of the guys at MachV just sold a 1G that had 18x8 inch wheels on it, so I think you'll be okay. I'm pretty sure that's the largest you can go.

FP HTA76-powered road race 91 GSX (resto-mod)
97 Talon TSi AWD daily driver
View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-09-2002, 08:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,326
Photos: 5
Reputation: rdrkt is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tordrkt is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tordrkt is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tordrkt is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tordrkt is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tordrkt is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
these are Konig 18s in this picture
Visit rdrkt's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-09-2002, 10:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 49
Photos: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to Jayrock39
You can find the proper size tires to fit the rims you choose for your car at some tire and wheel websites like www.tirerack.com and maybe www.discounttire.com .
Visit Jayrock39's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-03-2002, 11:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 22
would 50 series make my car too low to drive? i like my car low. i might just buy 55

Old 07-05-2002, 11:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 21
Send a message via AIM to fast4dr
A 225/55/16 would be taller than your original tire. I would go with the 50's instead of a 55's it will be to tall in that width. 225/50/16 look nice and still ride real good. Remember 50% of 225 is the sidewall height versus your 55% of 205. 55% of 225 would be to tall.

Russ

Old 07-16-2002, 03:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

what tire size?

the stock is 205/55/16

should i use:

225/45/16
or
225/50/16?? thanx

Old 07-16-2002, 03:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 229
Photos: 5
how much space do you want between your tire and wheelwell?
Visit curtis_rak's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 07-16-2002, 03:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

my car is quite low. im using skunk2 coilovers. i have 1 finger gap right now.

Old 07-18-2002, 07:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 28
Send a message via AIM to DrunkenMime249
i'm just a bout ready to buy the '91 gs-x that i've been looking at, but it has practically NO tread. i'm going to have to get new tires before i really give it a good driving. but which ones?

if anybody wants to recommend a size (stock rims) and/or brand/type that has worked well for them in the past i'd be greatful. nothing too expensive preferably, ### there's a good chance i'll have to get new ones when i replace the stock rims, but that won't be for a little while yet.

Old 07-18-2002, 09:45 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 13
Send a message via AIM to getboosted
i want to know the largest width to put on can a 285/55/16 fit on the front of my 1g gst need a larger contact patch and major stares from the mustang guys how about 305s

Old 07-18-2002, 09:55 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,642
Photos: 9
Reputation: Tevenor is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toTevenor is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toTevenor is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toTevenor is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toTevenor is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toTevenor is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to Tevenor
Quote:
Originally posted by getboosted
i want to know the largest width to put on can a 285/55/16 fit on the front of my 1g gst need a larger contact patch and major stares from the mustang guys how about 305s
Now that's funny. Its a joke right? Cause I am laughing.

The largest I know of is 275/40/17's and that is on Dennis Grants car. His rims I believe are 17x10 with a +12 offset on a 2G. I doubt seriously it would fit on a 1G.

I fellow racer and member of this board runs 245 width and 17" tires on the street but he has to use a spacer on his 1G. I run 235/40/17 tires on the street with a +35 offset.

So in short, I don't think you can fit 285/55/16 and trying to get a contact patch like a Mustang is just silly.

Old 07-18-2002, 05:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,185
Photos: 9
i think 215/50/16 is the widest you can safely put on the stock Tsi/GSx wheels. Any wider and it rubs, and causes other probs.

I think

Old 09-27-2002, 03:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 26
Send a message via AIM to talon90
Question

tires and rim.....?

i have my eagle talon with the stock 16 inch rims and i was looking at some new rims but i was wondering my tire is 225/50/16 and if i went to 17's then what size tire would i need to get so that my speedoimeter wouldn't be all messed up if u know and could he it would be appreciated thanx......David

.....................DSM's FOREVER

Old 09-27-2002, 04:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 3,367
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: candela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tocandela is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to candela
does that last sentence mean? As long as you get something reaonably close youll be fine, cause Im sure even stock your speedo isnt perfect. Those 225/50 isnt stock anyway... If you get a 215/45/17 or a 225/4017 those are both within about a .5" of the stock 205/50/16's and should be fine for the speedo...

Old 09-27-2002, 04:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 258
www.speedandstyle.com

cheap ass wheels WITH tires

and you can always dick around with the speedo

Old 10-13-2002, 03:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 222
Send a message via ICQ to Nomad666 Send a message via MSN to Nomad666 Send a message via Yahoo to Nomad666
Question

Perfect wheel size for talon tsi?

Hey, I was wondering what size wheels would make my talon go its fastest? Since u go faster with bigger wheels. Thanx. BYE

Old 10-13-2002, 03:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 163
Photos: 7
Send a message via MSN to jay-d
say what??.. uhm.. i think u mean like.. the lighter the rim.. you'll go faster.. but anyhow.. you want.. like.. uhm... light rims.. these are ## sizes

205/55/R16 = stock 16" Rim
215/45/R17 = 1" bigger.. 17" rim
225/40/R18 = 2" bigger.. 18" rim

now.. if ## not sure what that means.. i'll explain

The 205, 215, 225.... is the width of the tire.. in MM i believe.. the 55, 45, 40.. is the percentage of the previous number.. = the side wall.. so like.. for ex. if you have 205 width.. 55% of 205 is how big ## sidewall is.. on a 16" rim.. your overall diameter is 24.9".. and you want to stay about the same.. and those are the sizes for staying in an around that area. Now if you want 18" rims.. you're gonna need a high offset.. .. no lower then +40mm offset.. if u h ave lower then that.. you're gonna need to roll ## fenders and it might cause steering problems cus ## tire might dig into the wall inside ## wheel well.. hope that hells..
Visit jay-d's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-13-2002, 04:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 222
Send a message via ICQ to Nomad666 Send a message via MSN to Nomad666 Send a message via Yahoo to Nomad666
Trust me man. If u have larger wheels like 17in or 18in wheel then each rotation is larger therefore u go faster. Atleast thats what i was told.