The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1g Wheels and Tires Size Questions [merged]fit fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdst29

Probationary Member
Apr 29, 2002
Pennsylvania
All 1g wheel and tire size questions from the newbie sections are merged here.

hi,
i am interested in putting 18" motegi MR-7 wheels on my 1991 plymouth laser. my only problem is i do not know if they will fit in the wheel well with tires. if anyone out there has 18" wheels on their laser....please let me know so and also tell me what size tire you have on the wheel. i would also like to know how snugly they fit in the wheel well. if 18's dont fit i guess i will have to go for 17 inch wheels. what is a good size tire that would fit a 17" wheel?

thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me

jerome

K, I'm almost ready to get my tires, FINALLY, but I ahve one more question I think. If I go with a 215/45R16 instead of my stock 205/55R16, is that gonna mess up my gear ratios much, and how muchoff will it put my speed/odometer? Will stock 16" wheels handle 45s? Or are they too wide?

I'm not sure about the odometer reading but try this link for some useful information:

http://www.dsm.org/menu.epl?item=46

BTW, 45 is the aspect ratio (i.e. tells about the height of the side wall) 215 is the width of the tire. When I first got interested in upgrading my tires I visited dsm.org and found out that 205 on a 6" wheel is too wide. I believe most people go wider for extra traction in straight line racing. However, there is a greater amount of tire unsupported by rim which is not great for cornering. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

I was always told that 205 or 215 was the height of the sidewall and 65, or 55 or 45 was the width and then the size of the rim that it fit on.(16, etc)

Originally posted by Grinder5
I was always told that 205 or 215 was the height of the sidewall and 65, or 55 or 45 was the width and then the size of the rim that it fit on.(16, etc)

in 205/55/16, the 205 is the tire width in mm, the 55 is the sidewall height. It is a percentage of the width. so 55% of 205. Last of all, the 16 is the rim size.

BTW, I think the widest tire that can go on the stock 16" rim is a 225/50/16.

If you go with a 215 width, go with a 215/50/16 or 215/55/16

Originally posted by ImportModder

in 205/55/16, the 205 is the tire width in mm, the 55 is the sidewall height. It is a percentage of the width. so 55% of 205. Last of all, the 16 is the rim size.

BTW, I think the widest tire that can go on the stock 16" rim is a 225/50/16.

If you go with a 215 width, go with a 215/50/16 or 215/55/16
Right on about the tire specs and info, looks like a 225/50/16 would just about be perfect. As far as the 215's, use the link that Red P5 posted, and you'll see that your ratio's with a 215 are just too far off to get close to stock, I'd go with the 225/50's.:thumb:

well i was looking at the wheel selection on tirerack.com and saw that the gsx had so many more options than the tsi. they even get 18's... WTF???i called them and asked why that was and guy said the breaks are diff size... i might be stupid but why the hell does that matter? isnt it the biggger the breaks the bigger the wheel to fit around it????eh........ thanks....later

Brakes should be the same size. AFAIK there were no major changes in brakes between years within a generation. So if you're looking at wheels for a 1g GSX, then yes, the wheels for a 1g TSi AWD should fit. As far as I know...

so 18's that i see for the gsx will fit on a tsi???(if it makes a diff im talking about 1gen) thanks...later

If tirerack.com says they'll fit on a GSX, they should fit on a TSi awd... if not, b*tch at tirerack.com and get them to replace them with some wheels that do fit :)

If it says they'll fit on a GSX, they should fit on a Talon or Laser

why would they get me a new set of wheels if they already told me that the gsx wheels dont fit the tsi. im just wondering if what they are saying is true. thanks....later.......

they will fit go with 17's, 18's look too big in my opinion. There isnt differences between the 2 cars.

Yes they will fit fine. The bolt pattern and offset is the same for all years.

Wheels will not fit only when you go too small. AWD cars have the bigger brakes so some 16" rims will not fit. If you are looking for 17"+ rims any rim will work... that has DSM friendly specs obviously.

I've got a 92 laser rs turbo AWD with the stock 16in aluminum wheels on it. I'm not exactly sure what they are called but they aren't the standard steel wheels that most of the dsm's have. Anyway I bent one of them and I'm looking for new ones. I found some 15in x 6in aluminum galant wheels(made by enki) that look sweet on my car. They do have a 5 bolt pattern and I think they're from a 94 mitsubishi galant but I'm not sure. Does anybody know if these will fit my car and if so what tire size would you recomend i put on these wheels for best performance.

:cool: :laser: JB

i got a 92 laser rs awd turbo and i bent one of my 16in aluminum wheels that came stock with the car. Found some 15in x 6in galant aluminum wheels(made by enki) that look good on my car but don't know if they will fit. They do have five bolt pattern and i think they're from a 94 galant. Anyone know if these wheels have same bolt specs as dsm. thanks.....jb :laser: :cool:

ummm dont all Galants have the 4 lug pattern which is why the 5 lug conversion is so popular?

I could be wrong but Im pretty sure about it. They should fit no problem cause chances are the guy did a 5 lug conversion and those would then be the same bolt pattern.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back