Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 08:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 999
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to focusedrage

Which way does the oil flow? filter direction

I know i should know this, but i dont, so i would like to know which direction the oil flows through the filter, so that i can set up my new oil system. I have the cooler eliminator housing and hoses and what not, but im not sure which hole in said housing will the dirty hot oil flow out of. Thanks.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,167
Photos: 8
Reputation: BUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Been a while but I'm pretty sure it flows OUT of the hole in the center of the Filter - Thru the bolt of course - TO the Engine. See my Gallery for some 1G OFH pics.
Visit BUCK's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-16-2004, 11:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 231
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to My96AWD
it would have to go the other way or the anti drainback valve would block it up.

Old 05-17-2004, 12:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Classifieds Rating: 2
Yeh, Buck guessed wrong. And about time, I say. It flows from the outside to the inside, goes on to the rest of the engine through the center pipe.
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-17-2004, 07:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,167
Reputation: BUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthyBUCK is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Thumbs up

Pardon me D-Man but that's what I said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK
Been a while but I'm pretty sure it flows OUT of the hole in the center of the Filter - Thru the bolt of course - TO the Engine. See my Gallery for some 1G OFH pics.
Visit BUCK's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-18-2004, 05:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Well, if what you're saying is what I mean, it sounds like you're wording it backward.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2004, 03:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,109
Mine just flows out the bottom of the engine somewhere onto the ground
Visit 1LE's homepage! 

Old 05-18-2004, 09:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE
Mine just flows out the bottom of the engine somewhere onto the ground
Ah, yes. Total-loss system. I think Jaguar invented that.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 999
Send a message via AIM to focusedrage
thanks, i apretiat the help

Old 02-17-2007, 06:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 107

Clean oil from filter.

The center threaded hole on the filter is the clean oil out, and the several holes are the oil inlet into the filter, correct?

Just verifying that the oil pressure sender port on a forward facing filter housing is the clean oil.

Thank you.
Kris

Old 02-18-2007, 12:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Yup, you're right.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 184
Question

Oil Filter flow direction

I was installing my oil cooler this weekend and was thinking; which way does the oil flow through the oil filter? Is it pumped out of that center tube that you screw the filter onto? Ive been searching "How stuff works" as well as this sight and cant find anything on that specific subject.

The reason I ask is I was just looking at the sandwich adapter and wasnt positive on the way it was supposed to go on. It was used so there arent directions but one side had a couple seals on it and the other didnt. I assume the side with the seals mates to the engine oil housing because the oil filter has its own seal and now everything is properly sealed. It looks like there is also a ball and spring style pressure relieve built in so hopefully I have it in there correctly.

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
N/T DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,683
Photos: 18
Send a message via AIM to Locke Send a message via MSN to Locke Send a message via Yahoo to Locke Send a message via Skype™ to Locke
The oil flows into the outer ring of the filter, and out the center threaded part.

You are correct in which way to install the adaptor.

View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-03-2007, 03:36 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The oil flows into the outer ring of the filter, and out the center threaded part.

You are correct in which way to install the adaptor.
Sweet thanks, that puts my mind at ease. One more thing though. I see some kits are like thermostat controlled or something. I dont believe mine is though. Looks like it'll just flow all the time. That shouldnt be a problem though, right?