The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G TPS Adjustment Breakdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanCollins

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Tully, New_York
believe I have a good grasp of how things work and stuff but i have read so many conflicting things about 1g and 2g that I am lost. I Know I have a 1g TPS but I dont get how its adjusted. When I first put the TPS on I know its should have some spring action to it but when I line up the Screw holes the throttle is slightly open. I think I need to adjust the throttle cable as well but what should I be using as the base in which to set the tension to?

For the TPS, loosely bolt it down so you can adjust it. Hook up the connector and attach a multimeter to the signal wire. At 0% throttle you want to see 0.63v from the TPS which goes to the ECU.

When I adjust the cable, I make it just tight enough that if I go any tighter it pulls the throttle plate open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man I ended up having to go back to my old TPS because the one I got from my friend was bad I guess. Only problem now is getting it to stay at idle after gettin it started. I believe it's the ETC sensor but not sure, the car has had this issue since the day I got it

Ok so another issue now the IPS wire broke and didn't leave enough to solder without replacing the connector.
Can I drive around like that for a little bit until I get a new connector? Thanks in advance I love this site

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick help man, by pin I assume you mean the metal inside the black clip the wire was connected to, And by lead is that the wire itself? Sorry if I sound like an idiot but I'm kinda slow when it comes to wire stuff.

Also as a side note I set my TPS at .90 because I cant get it that low, and i have seen that being under 1.0 is ok. Should I be concerned that I can't get it to .63? Thanks again.

Update: now I can start the car up and it will hold a light idle at 350 rpm but die out in a couple seconds, if I feather the gas I can keep her but if I just hold the pedal soft it will die.

Just put a female electrical connector on the end of your wire, cut off the original harness clip.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Adjusting the TPS is pretty much pointless until you fix the Idle Switch wire. You will have a tough time getting the car to idle right without it also.

The idle switch tells the ECU that the throttle is closed and is used to invoke closed-loop idle-rpm control. It's also used as a double check on the throttle position sensor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back