The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Major GST problems! and i need help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted99_420

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2010
Fort Carson, Colorado
Ok to start off with the problems the main problems are:

#1: it doesnt like to start the starter just clicks then after you turn key to start alot it kicks over and starts, or when you try to pop the clutch and dont succed you can start it with key.

#2: The engine spits and spudders and eventually dies unles you keep giving it gas until its warmed up a little bit.

#3: The oil has a slight smell of gas and i just changed it 250 miles ago (BOV is recirculated)

#4: Bogs down before boost kicks in sometimes

#5: was running 15psi and now it dropped to 10-11psi and occasionally will spike at 13psi

#6: Strange poping sound (like air leaving something) at max boost (10psi mostly) happens a few times a day.

#7: Horn doesnt work even after a new switch, fuse, and entire airbag/horn assembly on steering wheel.

If you guys can help ill be grateful i want this car up to 100% soon so i can begin modding it more and get it tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have a DSM! LOL

#1 - Test for power from the ignition switch at the starter. Sounds like a bad starter solenoid.

#2, 3, 4, 5, &6. Need some more info on what kind of fuel system / ignition system / management system you have. Car won't run 15 psi without some sort of tuning equipment, so if you could provide some setup details it would probably help direct everyone.

#7 - Was the fuse blown? Is the horn assembly good? Sounds like you need a wiring diagram and a test light.

Welcome to dsm's

Have you checked your compression? And is your oil pressure stable or is it low?

Sounds like you have a DSM! LOL

#1 - Test for power from the ignition switch at the starter. Sounds like a bad starter solenoid.

#2, 3, 4, 5, &6. Need some more info on what kind of fuel system / ignition system / management system you have. Car won't run 15 psi without some sort of tuning equipment, so if you could provide some setup details it would probably help direct everyone.

#7 - Was the fuse blown? Is the horn assembly good? Sounds like you need a wiring diagram and a test light.

Welcome to dsm's

yea i have a Doesnt Start Monthly LOL

Found boost problem boost controller is messed up, the rest is just what i had on there when i got the car, stock from what i can tell but idk i havnt looked into it. And as for horn i am going to do that if i dont sell car tomorrow.

Have you checked your compression? And is your oil pressure stable or is it low?

Compression seems fine it starts and runs great after it warms up for about 2 mins. But ill check it one day soon.

For the starter, check the single black/yellow wire going to it. Test the starter by connecting that wire to the battery. If it starts cranking then its not the starter.

For all the rest, boost leak test, compression test, and replace the PCV on the valve cover, and/or add a usplastics check valve (3/8th's).

If you smell the oil right after running the car, you will smell the gas. Its from the exhaust. Which is most likely from it running rich due to the boost leaks.

When is the last time you changed your plugs? Is a CEL up? If so I had similar issues when my upstream o2 went. Is your MAF clean?

Yes MAF is clean but has no honey comb in it which i thought i had in my old GST, and plugs i changed a few weeks ago with Champion which is all i had at the time, and CEL is on and since you said o2 i do remember my gas milage going to crap on the way home from track day, burnt 3/4 tank going 87 miles :mad:

Change those shitty plugs out for NGK coppers, that will probably help some.

I had the exact same starting problem, turned out to be my battery.

1. Bad battery, held a charge but not enough to crank over all the time (just "clicks" on the flywheel), but would start sometimes, after about 20 tries. I ending up replacing the crappy autozone battery with a napa battery and now the problem is 99% fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the exact same starting problem, turned out to be my battery.

1. Bad battery, held a charge but not enough to crank over all the time (just "clicks" on the flywheel), but would start sometimes, after about 20 tries. I ending up replacing the crappy autozone battery with a napa battery and now the problem is 99% fixed.

cool imma pick up a better batter today oh and its an autozone one in there LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back