Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 50
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 0

Engine Removal without Transmission

I'm in the process of taking the block out on a 2G to inspect it, but there is really no need for me to take the transmission out. The engine removal tutorial on vfaq takes the transmission out with the engine. Is there a way to remove the engine without taking out the transmission?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 96
Classifieds Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoshan View Post
I'm in the process of taking the block out on a 2G to inspect it, but there is really no need for me to take the transmission out. The engine removal tutorial on vfaq takes the transmission out with the engine. Is there a way to remove the engine without taking out the transmission?
You can take it out without the transmission, but its probably going to be more of a headache than its worth. It's a lot easier to just take them both out together and disassemble the trans from the block when they're both out. It just saves you from having to go under the car and unbolt the transmission from the block. Is the car fwd or awd?

Old 11-07-2009, 08:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91talontsi0324 View Post
You can take it out without the transmission, but its probably going to be more of a headache than its worth. It's a lot easier to just take them both out together and disassemble the trans from the block when they're both out. It just saves you from having to go under the car and unbolt the transmission from the block. Is the car fwd or awd?
It's an 5sp AWD. Unbolting the transmission sounds a little easier than taking out all of the axles and transfer case though.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 96
Quote:
It's an 5sp AWD. Unbolting the transmission sounds a little easier than taking out all of the axles and transfer case though.
I think i misunderstood what you meant. You want to leave the transmission in the car and pull the block correct? Not remove the trans first and then the block?

Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,585
Photos: 20
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 136
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
Remember you still have to get the bell housing over the flywheel and pressure plate. I'd say to pull the transmission with the engine as one unit. You'll just make more work for yourself by trying to leave it in the car.

Throttle body rebuild kits

Old 11-07-2009, 08:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,548
Photos: 5
There is not enough room; you can only do it that way if it's an automatic.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:35 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Damn, I guess I just gotta suck it up and pull the whole thing then.

It just seems kinda ridiculous that you have to remove the transfer case and drive axles to pull out the engine.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 21
Photos: 2
Send a message via AIM to BullseyeGSX Send a message via Yahoo to BullseyeGSX
AWD Is your friend just remember if you get mad don't take it out on the car !!!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:57 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 127
Photos: 9
Pull them together, it is a pia, but the only way.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2009 RG Ralliart
Tech Posts: 216
Classifieds Rating: 8
Just take out the engine and trans out together, it would be less of a headache trying to pull the engine from the tran while it in the car.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,147
Classifieds Rating: 16
Send a message via AIM to Dsmj89
I also agree on taking out both engine/tranny altogether. Much much easier.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 14
I just pulled mine out its a Fwd but i pulled motor and trans than installed motor then trans puting it back in did not seem to be that big of a problem.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 27
Quote:
Damn, I guess I just gotta suck it up and pull the whole thing then.

It just seems kinda ridiculous that you have to remove the transfer case and drive axles to pull out the engine.
That is the nature of most transverse mounted platforms.

If you can get the car high enough, I find that it is easiest to drop the engine and trans together through the bottom, onto a piece of plywood or a few layers of cardboard. (works especially well when using a lift) You don't even have to pull the driveshaft. Just unbolt the first carrier bearing and it should slide out when you pull the motor. The CV shafts should only take you 30minutes extra.

Remove the radiator with fans to give yourself some working room and just take your time. Replace the timing belt, water pump and all associated parts when you have it out.

Last edited by SharonTampons; 11-24-2009 at 05:46 AM.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 47
Classifieds Rating: 2
To remove the axles You can just unbolt the upper a-arm from the strut mount plate. This saves you from needing to mess with the ball joints

Old 11-24-2009, 01:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 15
I've done it twice already but again it's kinda a pita you gotta put a steep angle on the motor done the same putting it in also. The last time I did when I went to put it togeather I just had the complete short block go in then threw the head on after it was in, also I left the oil pan off as well

but this was on a 1g awd

Old 11-24-2009, 10:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-dsm View Post
..it's kinda a pita you gotta put a steep angle on the motor done the same putting it in also...
Thats why I find it easiest to drop through the bottom for removal and installation. The car has to be pretty low initially to allow enough space for the boom of the cherry picker to lower the engine and trans down onto the wood. Then I use the cherry picker and chain to lift the front of the car, and raise the jack stands as high as they will go. Then slide the motor and trans out, it should clear the bumper permitting that you don't have tiny jack stands. I just remove the cross members and lower motor mounts/brackets and loosen the side mounts, and the it drops straight down without any interference (if you have a lift, position a tire or two under the oil pan and transmission, then lower the car until they are barely touching. Un-bolt everything, then raise the car straight up)

I find that this technique is most helpful on DSMs that still have all of the accessories (AC, PS, Cruise control, Battery tray, etc..) with a gutted, trim engine bay this technique is not really beneficial.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,447
Photos: 41
Classifieds Rating: 5
I was just reading through this thread and everyone is saying its a pia but most are AWD. Has anyone with a 1g FWD 5 speed, pulled the engine out, without the transmission?

I've pulled the engine out a few times but always with the transmission. I would rather just leave the transmission in this time rather then removing the axles and stuff. Has anyone done it?
Visit 9!'clipseDOHC's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 254
If you think it's a PITA to remove the transmission with the engine, try re-installing the engine onto the transmission with it still in the car! You COULD take the alignment dowels out but they're there for a reason. You know like, making sure it shifts into all 6 gears (yes Reverse is a gear) without grinding off half the teeth and that's if you get it into gear at all. It's hard enough getting the two back together correctly with them both outside the car...

Old 05-01-2010, 10:53 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 5
Photos: 14
I would also recomend that when you are removing the engine/trans together to remove the transfer case first...It is only five bolts and makes it a heck of a lot easier to get the engine out of the car. You won't have to angle the engine to get it up and out.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,447
Photos: 41
Classifieds Rating: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz View Post
I would also recomend that when you are removing the engine/trans together to remove the transfer case first...It is only five bolts and makes it a heck of a lot easier to get the engine out of the car. You won't have to angle the engine to get it up and out.
Well I'm FWD so that's not an issue. I went ahead a pulled it out with the trans.
Visit 9!'clipseDOHC's homepage!  View photos of this member's car