Engine Removal without Transmission

Posted by eltoshan, Nov 7, 2009
Maintenance & Repairs - Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions.

1. eltoshan

eltoshan Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I'm in the process of taking the block out on a 2G to inspect it, but there is really no need for me to take the transmission out. The engine removal tutorial on vfaq takes the transmission out with the engine. Is there a way to remove the engine without taking out the transmission?

2. 91talontsi0324

91talontsi0324 Proven Member

pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    You can take it out without the transmission, but its probably going to be more of a headache than its worth. It's a lot easier to just take them both out together and disassemble the trans from the block when they're both out. It just saves you from having to go under the car and unbolt the transmission from the block. Is the car fwd or awd?

3. eltoshan

eltoshan Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    It's an 5sp AWD. Unbolting the transmission sounds a little easier than taking out all of the axles and transfer case though.

4. 91talontsi0324

91talontsi0324 Proven Member

pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I think i misunderstood what you meant. You want to leave the transmission in the car and pull the block correct? Not remove the trans first and then the block?

5. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania
    Remember you still have to get the bell housing over the flywheel and pressure plate. I'd say to pull the transmission with the engine as one unit. You'll just make more work for yourself by trying to leave it in the car.

6. jrohner

jrohner Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Willmar, Minnesota
    There is not enough room; you can only do it that way if it's an automatic.

7. eltoshan

eltoshan Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Damn, I guess I just gotta suck it up and pull the whole thing then.

It just seems kinda ridiculous that you have to remove the transfer case and drive axles to pull out the engine.

8. BullseyeGSX

BullseyeGSX Probationary Member

DSM Profiles:
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    AWD Is your friend just remember if you get mad don't take it out on the car !!!

9. boosteclipse

boosteclipse Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Newark, Arkansas
    Pull them together, it is a pia, but the only way.

10. KevinRR

KevinRR Proven Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Just take out the engine and trans out together, it would be less of a headache trying to pull the engine from the tran while it in the car.

11. Dsmj89

Dsmj89 Proven Member

Miami, Florida
    I also agree on taking out both engine/tranny altogether. Much much easier.

12. DSMizzy

DSMizzy Probationary Member

Jacksonville, Florida
    I just pulled mine out its a Fwd but i pulled motor and trans than installed motor then trans puting it back in did not seem to be that big of a problem.

13. SharonTampons

SharonTampons Probationary Member

orlando, Florida
    That is the nature of most transverse mounted platforms. :thumb:

If you can get the car high enough, I find that it is easiest to drop the engine and trans together through the bottom, onto a piece of plywood or a few layers of cardboard. (works especially well when using a lift) You don't even have to pull the driveshaft. Just unbolt the first carrier bearing and it should slide out when you pull the motor. The CV shafts should only take you 30minutes extra.

Remove the radiator with fans to give yourself some working room and just take your time. Replace the timing belt, water pump and all associated parts when you have it out.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  14. spdtuned

spdtuned Proven Member

Orange County, California
    To remove the axles You can just unbolt the upper a-arm from the strut mount plate. This saves you from needing to mess with the ball joints ;)

15. ak-dsm

ak-dsm Probationary Member

anchorage, Alaska
    I've done it twice already but again it's kinda a pita you gotta put a steep angle on the motor done the same putting it in also. The last time I did when I went to put it togeather I just had the complete short block go in then threw the head on after it was in, also I left the oil pan off as well

but this was on a 1g awd

16. SharonTampons

SharonTampons Probationary Member

orlando, Florida
    Thats why I find it easiest to drop through the bottom for removal and installation. The car has to be pretty low initially to allow enough space for the boom of the cherry picker to lower the engine and trans down onto the wood. Then I use the cherry picker and chain to lift the front of the car, and raise the jack stands as high as they will go. Then slide the motor and trans out, it should clear the bumper permitting that you don't have tiny jack stands. I just remove the cross members and lower motor mounts/brackets and loosen the side mounts, and the it drops straight down without any interference (if you have a lift, position a tire or two under the oil pan and transmission, then lower the car until they are barely touching. Un-bolt everything, then raise the car straight up)

I find that this technique is most helpful on DSMs that still have all of the accessories (AC, PS, Cruise control, Battery tray, etc..) with a gutted, trim engine bay this technique is not really beneficial.

17. 9!'clipseDOHC

9!'clipseDOHC Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    El Paso, Texas
    I was just reading through this thread and everyone is saying its a pia but most are AWD. Has anyone with a 1g FWD 5 speed, pulled the engine out, without the transmission?

I've pulled the engine out a few times but always with the transmission. I would rather just leave the transmission in this time rather then removing the axles and stuff. Has anyone done it?

18. 90moneypit

90moneypit Proven Member

treefall, Washington
    If you think it's a PITA to remove the transmission with the engine, try re-installing the engine onto the transmission with it still in the car! You COULD take the alignment dowels out but they're there for a reason. You know like, making sure it shifts into all 6 gears (yes Reverse is a gear) without grinding off half the teeth and that's if you get it into gear at all. It's hard enough getting the two back together correctly with them both outside the car...

19. jonnyz

jonnyz Probationary Member

DSM Profiles:
    Santa Rosa, California
    I would also recomend that when you are removing the engine/trans together to remove the transfer case first...It is only five bolts and makes it a heck of a lot easier to get the engine out of the car. You won't have to angle the engine to get it up and out.

20. 9!'clipseDOHC

9!'clipseDOHC Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    El Paso, Texas
    Well I'm FWD so that's not an issue. I went ahead a pulled it out with the trans.
    [​IMG]

21. dsm8883

dsm8883 Proven Member

gainsville, Florida
    The huge thing to remember here is that on 2g's 3 out of 4 mounts are on the trans. i have tried leaving the trans in on 2gs before but it is a 1000 times simpler and faster to pull them as a unit and split them out of the car.

22. Coreyred95

Coreyred95 Proven Member

Minneapolis, Minnesota
    It is also best to drop the engine and tranny together from the bottom on a 2g N/T, in case anyone is wondering.

23. Aproductions

Aproductions Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    I pulled my engine out without touching the tranny.

take the head off and then when it is just the block, take the crank pulley off and you can move the block over to the rigth alittle and clear the pressure plate, then pull it out.

its a pain in the ass though, my father helped me.

24. extremeatheist

extremeatheist Proven Member

wilson, North_Carolina
    I was wondering about that.

25. camron_m

camron_m Probationary Member

Lexington, Kentucky
    I have removed 2G fwd and 1G awd without removing trans its not that hard. If you take the mounts off of the trans on the fwd and support it with a jack you can get enough movement to clear the flywheel out of the cv axles. On the awd you have to remove the transfer assembly housing (5 bolts and d/s) from the transmission an you should be able to pull it separate.