Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Handling Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Handling Tech: 4G63 suspension, steering, brakes, tires, lightweight wheels, bushings, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Lexus IS 300
Tech Posts: 195
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 0

Rear Sway Bar

Hey guys,
I'm looking to add a rear sway bar to my Eclipse RS as it didn't come with one. Now I plan on ordering the control arms from a 3G Eclipse, along with the 3G end links. I was wondering if I should go with the 18mm or 19mm sway bar (from mitsubishi)?

Also, has anyone ran into problems with the rear sway bar from the 8G Galant or 3G Eclipse where it rubs against the cross-member? I have heard mixed stories, even though we share the same rear suspension.

Where I got some of my info: 3g Eclipse rear UCA's, LCA's and sway bar - ASEClub

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 192
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 1
Y not just buy them off a 2g? Don't know if the rs doesn't come compatible to just bolt one on, but either way u can take one off a gs n ready to roll... just a thought since ppl seem to be parting out everyday. "To the junkyards!"

Old 02-12-2012, 10:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsalon View Post
Y not just buy them off a 2g? Don't know if the rs doesn't come compatible to just bolt one on, but either way u can take one off a gs n ready to roll... just a thought since ppl seem to be parting out everyday. "To the junkyards!"
Yeah I went to a few junkyards around town and they had only one or two 2G's, and then they wanted twice what the dealer wanted for everything... I called them out on it and they still were firm on their prices.

I would prefer the ones from the 3G because the LCA are tubular, which means they are stronger. The end links are stronger than the 2G's, and the sway bar can be either 18mm or 19mm, where the 2G is 15mm stock in the rear.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: Evo X GSR
Tech Posts: 5,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsalon View Post
Did you even look at the thread to which the OP linked? I can't help the thread-starter, but I sure am not going to ruin his or her thread with worthless guesses (that happen to be wrong).

Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

CompWorks 

Tech Posts: 1,004
Photos: 6
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 41
Reputation: greengoblin is extremely helpful and trustworthygreengoblin is extremely helpful and trustworthygreengoblin is extremely helpful and trustworthy
That thread seemed to have al the info you need to know. Get your parts and know hat you may have to either build a spacer or grinding the xmember. I would build a spacer. All you would need is some flat stock cut to length with drill two holes through it and some longer mounting bolts.

I also like seeing pictures of my car on other sites. That's always kinda neat.

you could also pm PsychO as he is here on this site too.

Kevin

Old 02-12-2012, 03:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thanks guys. I'll order the parts tonight and see how it goes. Should I go with the 19mm or the 18mm sway bar though? Which would be the best option for this RS?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.571 @ 84.820
Tech Posts: 662
I have the 19mm, no issues.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmpat95 View Post
I have the 19mm, no issues.
awesome. how's the car handling wise? I am just so excited to actually have a rear sway bar haha, I have so much body roll. I'm used to little or none.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,769
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 16
If you care about handling you might want to look into the proper sized rear bar a little more. Swaybars front and rear can effect if car understeers or oversteers.

Maybe jtmcinder can speak more on it. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable in this area.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
DSMtuners Wiseman

Tech Posts: 1,750
Photos: 17
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 9
The problem with overdoing rear sway bar is that it induces over-steer. So you could find your car spinning out one day...

BTW, if you want AWD DSM set-up, I have a rear subframe and would be willing to part with the sway bar for not much money.

Visit GRNDSM's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stocker View Post
If you care about handling you might want to look into the proper sized rear bar a little more. Swaybars front and rear can effect if car understeers or oversteers.

Maybe jtmcinder can speak more on it. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable in this area.
Alright, and I suppose you don't know what the "proper sized" front/rear sway bar combination would be for this car? for example, Stock Front and 15mm rear, Stock Front and 18mm rear, etc etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDSM View Post
The problem with overdoing rear sway bar is that it induces over-steer. So you could find your car spinning out one day...

BTW, if you want AWD DSM set-up, I have a rear subframe and would be willing to part with the sway bar for not much money.
If you know, at what point (mm wise) would I be doing it on this car?

Thanks for the offer on the rear sub-frame/sway bar, but I'll pass thank you.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.571 @ 84.820
Tech Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock0720 View Post
awesome. how's the car handling wise? I am just so excited to actually have a rear sway bar haha, I have so much body roll. I'm used to little or none.
I wanted the car to turn in more into the the corners(autocross). I have not used this set up yet. March 4 is when I find out.
If my results are not to my liking, I will put my stock one back on.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmpat95 View Post
I wanted the car to turn in more into the the corners(autocross). I have not used this set up yet. March 4 is when I find out.
If my results are not to my liking, I will put my stock one back on.
Alright, I just ordered my parts last night (19mm sway bar) so we'll see... hopefully I love it.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 940
Photos: 28
Classifieds Rating: 9
Reputation: 95talongirl is extremely helpful and trustworthy95talongirl is extremely helpful and trustworthy95talongirl is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Here's an interesting little article on how sway bars works, since this is an area that seems to be confusing.

How sway bars work

Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,769
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock0720 View Post
Alright, and I suppose you don't know what the "proper sized" front/rear sway bar combination would be for this car? for example, Stock Front and 15mm rear, Stock Front and 18mm rear, etc etc etc.
Thats something that your going to have to find out with lots of seat time. Then "tune" it appropriately. Fwd will inherently understeer, and you want slight oversteer.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 13.869 @ 95.090
Tech Posts: 4,697
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stocker View Post
Thats something that your going to have to find out with lots of seat time. Then "tune" it appropriately. Fwd will inherently understeer, and you want slight oversteer.
... without causing snap oversteer at other times (like braking).

Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Dodge Avenger
Tech Posts: 256
I have roughly 1500 miles on the setup and it is working great.

And you will have rubbing issues. The 8g galant has a built in spacer on the crossmember that is approximately 3/4 inch tall. I took the hard route and ground down the areas of the crossmember that made contact. But I highly suggest going the spacer route. For one, it's a lot easier all together.

Also, if you read my thread on ASEC, you'll see that I had to oval out the holes on the bracket. I have yet to put them on BUT I purchased prothane 18mm bushings and they came with new brackets, and they already have oval holes. So that might save you a step.

And with this setup, I can upgrade to the 3g eclipse Addco 22mm rear sway bar for ~$150. which will happen when she gets promoted to track car.

And the best part...everything is new. No rust!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho View Post
I have roughly 1500 miles on the setup and it is working great.

And you will have rubbing issues. The 8g galant has a built in spacer on the crossmember that is approximately 3/4 inch tall. I took the hard route and ground down the areas of the crossmember that made contact. But I highly suggest going the spacer route. For one, it's a lot easier all together.

Also, if you read my thread on ASEC, you'll see that I had to oval out the holes on the bracket. I have yet to put them on BUT I purchased prothane 18mm bushings and they came with new brackets, and they already have oval holes. So that might save you a step.

And with this setup, I can upgrade to the 3g eclipse Addco 22mm rear sway bar for ~$150. which will happen when she gets promoted to track car.

And the best part...everything is new. No rust!
I have to thank you for sharing that with us, appreciate all of the info. I will end up building some spacers and since they don't make an aftermarket 19mm bushing/bracket (at least I couldn't find it) I ordered those from the dealer and I'll oval out the holes to make it work.

Just curious, how does the car handle compared to no sway bar and what you're running now (18mm right?)? Just would like to get you're opinion and thoughts, that's all.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: Evo X GSR
Tech Posts: 5,208
FWD + big rear bar takes practice. Do a few autocrosses (to screw up safely) and watch a lot of BTCC (British touring-car racing) on YouTube. It can be done, and it can be done well, but you have to keep one rule in mind at all times: if you lift, you spin. Dumping speed before turn-in is the key to this set-up; none of the trail-braking that the rest of us do. But again, it can be done. For a long time (maybe still is), it was called D-Stock.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 13.869 @ 95.090
Tech Posts: 4,697
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 25
I could pull up a few vids of what happened when I put my RM rear bar on and trail braked like I still had the stock bar. I ended up facing the wrong way real quick.