The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

3000 gt TT. Brakes ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awdmonster1904

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 23, 2007
Chino, California
I've been researching about this for a while all I find is how to install them .
My question is do they stop as good as they look ?
Here the kit I have been looking at getting

RTM Racing :: - DSM Turbo(4G63) :: Brakes :: Brake Upgrades :: Stealth/3000GT VR4 Brake Upgrade

Now, I have found that I can also go with the cobra caliper and that the stop pretty decent. I would like to know if you have any of this brake setups how do you like it do they have any defects so on .

What I am going to use this brakes is for road course track days I figure I should upgrade my brakes for this kind of racing
Tell me what you guys think

Thank you

I've been researching about this for a while all I find is how to install them .
My question is do they stop as good as they look ?
Here the kit I have been looking at getting

RTM Racing :: - DSM Turbo(4G63) :: Brakes :: Brake Upgrades :: Stealth/3000GT VR4 Brake Upgrade

Now, I have found that I can also go with the cobra caliper and that the stop pretty decent. I would like to know if you have any of this brake setups how do you like it do they have any defects so on .

What I am going to use this brakes is for road course track days I figure I should upgrade my brakes for this kind of racing
Tell me what you guys think

Thank you

Yes the 3kGTVR4 brakes are a very good upgrade, I have the 3KGT SL brakes on my car and they were a huge difference over stock and I track my car and autocross it so I can promise you'd be happy with them. My buddy has a 3kVR4, I'll snap some pics and post em up if you want to you can see how big they are. They are pretty big IMO.

But for the price I honestly think you would be better off with Evo 8 Brembo's, you could probably find everything for cheaper than that website. It is a bit expensive.. For the price of those brakes you could almost buy the baer kit so ya..

Yes the 3kGTVR4 brakes are a very good upgrade, I have the 3KGT SL brakes on my car and they were a huge difference over stock and I track my car and autocross it so I can promise you'd be happy with them. My buddy has a 3kVR4, I'll snap some pics and post em up if you want to you can see how big they are. They are pretty big IMO.

But for the price I honestly think you would be better off with Evo 8 Brembo's, you could probably find everything for cheaper than that website. It is a bit expensive.. For the price of those brakes you could almost buy the baer kit so ya..

Thanks for the reply
I already have the 2 piston calipers with stoptech pads they are ok.
But for the future I was planing on going 3000 gt TT or cobra
But yea when you get some pictures post them Ask him also how good the stop

As for the "evo brembos " it's hard to find them for "cheap"
They always go for 400~ 500 bucks. Plus brakets

At least I know RTM has the whole kit for $544 IMO that's a good deal
The real question do the perform as they look ? Stoping from 135mph to 60 mph ??

I am running a similar set up using the 3000gt VR4 fixed calipers.

The RTM one is really nice, that the kit has everything you need. The only difference between that kit and my set up is the rotor size and the brackets. The RTM uses the cobra 13 inch rotors.

I am utilizing the brackets made by Tunersnation. They brackets use only the 91-93 calipers (they have shorter ears), but uses the rotors from the later year years 94-99(the diameter increased from 295mm (11.62 inches) to 314mm (12.36 inches) ).

I pieced this set together and payed about 320 dollars (brackets, calipers, pads). I bought re-manufactured unloaded calipers from RockAuto for about 67 a piece. Picked up some hawk pads for 80, and the brackets were 110 from tuners nation. The 1g lines work fine with the calipers, you don't need the 2g banjo type, the 1g will screw in. I didn't include the price of new rotors needed because I dished out for some DBA and I know they arent exactly budget rotors. Power slots are about 65 a side so 130, total 450 for everything needed.

The nice thing about the kit is that it has new brake lines, I didn't need new lines when I did my brake swap, I had SS ones already.

As for performance, man is there a difference. My 1g went through all the brake stages so far, I have the single up front (which were horrible), I upgraded the the 2 pistons, unbelievable improvement. Neither compare to the 4 piston vr4s, and the increased rotor size from the 2 piston (275mm) rotor to the vr4 (314mm) was a huge improvement. They brake so well that not having abs during slushy and winter mix is really dangerous. They lock up all the time.

I know a lot of people are concerned about the stock master cylinder. I think that the early model talons had a 15/16 inch MC, and the later 1gs had 1 inch MC. I recommend that you upgrade to a 1 inch MC, they pedal might feel really mushy with a 15/16.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...350-guide-13-1-4-piston-brakes-1gs-cheap.html

Steel Brake Caliper Bracket DSM [TN-3K1GBRKTS] - $109.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Stealth 316 - Brake Upgrade Options

^^thanks for the info

On the tunnersnation brakets are they made for 13 in rotor or only the 12.3
If you can can you pm me a parts list
Do the 3ooo gt rotors need hub centric spacer ??

NP man, thats what we are here for.

The tuners nation brackets are made for 12.36 inch rotors, 94-99 3000gt VR4.

They DO NOT need centric spacers. Simply bolt on the new rotors. Thats what makes this upgrade so easy.

NP man, thats what we are here for.

The tuners nation brackets are made for 12.36 inch rotors, 94-99 3000gt VR4.

They DO NOT need centric spacers. Simply bolt on the new rotors. Thats what makes this upgrade so easy.

so with the 12.3" rotors your stops pretty good

yea I stop great, if you read in the other post my stopping power was great enough to lock my wheels up during winter driving, I dont have ABS in my car.

you have increase your rotors from the stock 255mm or 275mm to 314mm, and double the amount if clamping force. You are talking about am increase of at least 3.9cm almost 6cm. These brakes were designed for the VR4, twin turbo. Those cars are heavy, V6, AWD, all wheel steering, 4 wheel ABS totaling 3781 lbs. That's about 600 more than our cars. Its plenty of stopping power

I will piece together a list ASAP, just want to make sure I have everything before I send you one.

Last edited:
any specific break point on the 1" master cylinders?

IE, any 2 piston car is a 1"? or is there something else to ask for/search for when ordering one?

When I bought my car, it was completely stock with all original components (I was told). The MC is def an oem one, and its 1" bore. Its stamped in the mold. Its a 91 TSI AWD.

I think it was MC bore size was determined by what year and what model you dsm was. I think that all AWD models came with a 1" MC. FWD came with a 15/16. Later models 92-94 I think all came with 1" MC, FWD and AWD.

this is for turbo models, I have no clue what NT brake MC bore size is, or they changed over the years.

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd add my question here-

If you do a 3kgt front brake caliper, with the cobra 13.1" rotors, won't a good portion of the rotor not even get used? Is the bigger rotor going to help that much? I understand the physics that if a larger diameter rotor is used, then the total area used in braking would be increased over one revolution of the wheel. I'm just trying to determine if it's be worth it? I guess if I was doing some hardcore racing it would be...

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd add my question here-

If you do a 3kgt front brake caliper, with the cobra 13.1" rotors, won't a good portion of the rotor not even get used? Is the bigger rotor going to help that much? I understand the physics that if a larger diameter rotor is used, then the total area used in braking would be increased over one revolution of the wheel. I'm just trying to determine if it's be worth it? I guess if I was doing some hardcore racing it would be...

The real advantage is more steel to displace more heat.

I wouldnt go with this option if you do a lot of racing. The brake pad selection for the 3000gt sucks.

I don't really do a lot of racing, but having better brakes is a nice idea. And I am a DIY guy. I teach high school auto shop. I sometimes just like the challenge of fabricating parts and using parts off other cars. It's a fun craft. Anyway, after doing some research 3kgt calipers look the best, aside from getting newer brembo brakes which would cost a lot more and be harder for me to find locally. Though I know where a vr4 is I could snag calipers off of. I could rebuild them myself.

Is there another thread that actually has consolidated info?
Has anyone had a problem with the pads over hanging the rotor a little bit?

After searching the internet for quite a while, the best "race" pad I could find was Porterfield R4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not believe there is a consolidated thread, just several to read through. I have the 3kgt VR4 calipers on my car with the 13.1" Cobra rotors. Great Mod. If you have the caliper hanging over the rotor you can search for a larger rotor or change or modify the caliper mounting bracket.

Thought I would update this thread.

I took my car out to Highplains Raceway, a 2.5 mile road course here in Colorado.
The brakes did fantastic. Never faded. This was with Porterfield R4 pads.

I have a 91 AWD that I race in the chump car series ( stock parts ). I upgraded to the two piston calipers ( so I could keep at the 16 inch wheels I had ). At the endurance pace we ran we were getting a touch of brake fade. In a sprint race I did I cooked the brakes. The problems with our cars is they are heavy. I used the Porterfield r4E pads ( e for endurance ).

I am going to buy the VR4 kit from RTM, but I am going to source the rotor and caliper myself to save some cash as I need more brakes for the car.

One thing not talked about is brake cooling. Running cooling hose in these cars is difficult. Ive seen a post where someone made a plate to deflect air instead and I have seen that approach on several Porsche race cars that I have followed.

For true road racing, the 2 piston is not enough unless you somehow have a incredibly light DSM. You will need to add cooling. If you can make a 2 piston setup work, you might not be driving the car hard enough. But a bad driver will be on the brakes too long and cause temp problems. Each track is different and places different demands on the brakes. The R4 pads are a good choice for the track. So Im guessing if you made out ok, your still borderline and if you pushed a bit harder you might be in trouble, just a guess.

For spirited use the 2 piston upgrade is fine. For light track days and lapping and autocross the 2 piston upgrade is fine. If you dont want to worry about stopping power in sprint races you need more than the 2 piston brakes.

Im no expert but thats my take on it after running the car a few times on the track.

I looked long and hard between the VR and cobra options. Im going VR, and the RTM guys say they sell them 8 to 1 over the cobra kits. That should tell you something.

I have a 91 AWD that I race in the chump car series ( stock parts ). I upgraded to the two piston calipers ( so I could keep at the 16 inch wheels I had ). At the endurance pace we ran we were getting a touch of brake fade. In a sprint race I did I cooked the brakes. The problems with our cars is they are heavy. I used the Porterfield r4E pads ( e for endurance ).

I am going to buy the VR4 kit from RTM, but I am going to source the rotor and caliper myself to save some cash as I need more brakes for the car.

One thing not talked about is brake cooling. Running cooling hose in these cars is difficult. Ive seen a post where someone made a plate to deflect air instead and I have seen that approach on several Porsche race cars that I have followed.

For true road racing, the 2 piston is not enough unless you somehow have a incredibly light DSM. You will need to add cooling. If you can make a 2 piston setup work, you might not be driving the car hard enough. But a bad driver will be on the brakes too long and cause temp problems. Each track is different and places different demands on the brakes. The R4 pads are a good choice for the track. So Im guessing if you made out ok, your still borderline and if you pushed a bit harder you might be in trouble, just a guess.

For spirited use the 2 piston upgrade is fine. For light track days and lapping and autocross the 2 piston upgrade is fine. If you dont want to worry about stopping power in sprint races you need more than the 2 piston brakes.

Im no expert but thats my take on it after running the car a few times on the track.

I looked long and hard between the VR and cobra options. Im going VR, and the RTM guys say they sell them 8 to 1 over the cobra kits. That should tell you something.

What do you mean 2 pistons? The VR4 calipers are 4 piston calipers.

He is referring to needing more than two piston calipers for some situations. He is moving up from the 2 piston caliper to the 3K VR4 calipers.

Get the brackets that let you use the larger cobra rotors.

He is referring to needing more than two piston calipers for some situations. He is moving up from the 2 piston caliper to the 3K VR4 calipers.

Get the brackets that let you use the larger cobra rotors.

K.

I wouldn't bother going to the vr4 caliper without going to the 13.1" rotor, unless you just want the look.

The reason I went this path was to get as much metal as possible to disipate the heat.

Im ready to order my kit from RTM, but I wanted to source the calipers myself through a friends shop.

Its my understanding form RTM that the 91-91 3000 calipers are the ones to get. But I imagine there are a few different ones, ie turbo, not turbo, etc. Anyone know which caliper ( part number would be great ) that is the same as the RTM calipers they sell? Im going with the 13 inch cobra rotors.

Sounds like some of you have the parts, Im curious as I hate ending up with the wrong part.

If you are looking for the big VR4 - 4 piston upgrade, you will want front calipers from a 1991-1993 3000gt VR4 (so the turbo model)

Theres a whole writr up on this. Just google it. I cant find it from my phone. Im doing the same thing

Is there any brackets that allow the use of the stock 3000gt rotor? I have a set of brand new cobra rotors for this brake swap but after feeling how heavy they are I feel adding 30+ to rotational weight out weigh(literally) the benifits of the larger brakes.

I have wanted to do this swap for a while but jeez these 13" cobra rotors are huge and heavy

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back