The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

100amp galant alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EC17PSE

Freelancer
Nov 1, 2008
London, UK, Europe
so my kind of new oem alternator dies the other day! its was only 17-18 months old so still pretty new!

I decided to get a galant alternator as i remember these fit and i can easily get hold of 1 the next day, now i was looking at the 90 amp and then i came across a 100 amp for a galant that has the exact same fixings and 4 pin plug and all in all looked identical in every way shape and form! so i rang the company to confirm and its correct only the internal wire was different to make the 100 amp!

so i now have that and im fitting it on monday with a review and write up as i had to search very hard to get the correct part numbers and i am going to place all the info needed for a better and quicker search for the next person needing the info!

NOW my 1 concern is my 80amp fuseable link i know they can handle about 70% more power then they state for a short amount of time so ive read online! so i have ordered a few 100amp fuseable links as a precaution as i know the guys running the 90 amp alternator have kept there 80 amp alt fuseable link.

so do you think i will need these 100 amp fuses or just stick with my 80 amp fuse? i dont want to risk messing up my wires but as the 90 amp is fine on the car with out a different fuse i think i should be ok but i need a second opinion just to confirm

That is a very good question you have. If it were me, I would compare the wire sizes the Galant uses first. You know the Galant wire uses a 100 Amp fuse so you would be best to stick to that. As far as the wire sizes themselves; I would just compare the Gauge size wiring that feeds to the 100 Amp fuse then make your own judgement call from there. 20 Amps difference between the 2 systems is allot of Amps in my opinion. That is something definitely that you would want to get right the first time before you connect the battery. I think with a little more information you can compare the 2 systems, then you will have your answer.

The Galant or Canadian model DSMs had 90 amp alternators with a 100 amp fuse, nothing else was different. Should be able to just swap the alt and fuse and go. Oh, and btw, my 90 amp actually tested at 100 and it's never blown the fuse.

The Galant or Canadian model DSMs had 90 amp alternators with a 100 amp fuse, nothing else was different. Should be able to just swap the alt and fuse and go. Oh, and btw, my 90 amp actually tested at 100 and it's never blown the fuse.

Good Info:thumb:

Definitely makes you wonder if the extra money you pay out for an 100 Amp output alternator is really worth the price they want to charge?

I think I remember seeing a post where you said it was 100 amps and because the 90 amp was ok I could not see why the 100amp alt would not work as im sure they have wiring already in the far for it due to costs as making 2 lots of wiring just for alternators is not cost effective,

Well im pretty happy with what info I have found, thats not alot by the way but I will be checking it over and keeping an eye on everything for a while just to make sure its ok

That's what I was trying to say, I think you'll be alright with the 100 amp with no other modifications. Just need the larger fuse.

i got my alternator on friday but i only opened it today SUNDAY! and straight away its alot different from ours but it should still work, the pully its about 6mm smaller but it can be adjusted by the tension bolt for that, the 4 pin plug and power point are going to be facing down rather then forward but everything should be fine, im fitting this tomorrow so once ive taken some pics for a write up then i will post back here with the results and the out come

Just an update on this, I started to change the alternator and it was the wrong one I will post pics up tomorrow or sometime in the week but the twin lower bracket was not wide enough and I could not change the casing as mine was way too small to house the larger galant internals. So I have kept the old unit on as its working for now so I am going to try find info on the 90 amp and if its different then the 100 amp unit and wether if the us galant is different then the uk galant,

1 question I have is the lower bracket for the alternator to sit on where the long bolt goes through is that bolted to the block or is it cast with the block? As I could not really see if I could change it out, as if its cast into it then the 4g63 engine in the galant must be different in some ways then ours then!

That will not work this is like 20mm difference! The rear arm on the alt is not cast as far back as the oem unit. It really wont fit no matter what I do so I just have to find one that will either from the 2.4 or over here we have a 2.5 but the uk generations dont match to the us generations so I dont know then unless I can find a part number to give the guys over here,

So I spent some time looking at these 2.5 v6 units and it looks like these are 120 amp over here and pretty rare and bloddy expensive, I really think our galants are totally different but ive got a few part numbers to throw at this company so I will see from that if not its a galant from the US it is then

so here are some pics as to why this did not work! the main reason was the twin bracket at the bottom was too narrow.

Here are a few pics to look at and ponder over.

the galant 100 amp is the clean unit and is the larger of the 2. and the pully is 60mm on the galant where as the oem is 66mm

the 4pin plug is also 45 degree lower then the stock oem unit aswell as the power bolt is.

sorry about the 2nd pic its upside down and i cannot flip it

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i have found that all part numbers in the US do not match any in the UK so im 100% sure the UK and US galants are different, however there is this unit

RXA02079 LRA02079 | eBay

the lower bracket looks wider and its the same as the galant unit i have here but this is 120 amps

or i could try this

Mitsubushi Galant Space Star Alternator A2TA5391 LRA02079 & Guarantee FREE P&P | eBay

this unit is also wider at the bottom and is 90 amp!

im out of options and i might just order one from the us with a 2 year warranty but does anyone have any good experiences with a specific unit/brand?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's intresting. I wouldn't have expected a difference like that where it attaches to the block. Perhaps that's not from a 4G63 vehicle.

Thats the strange part it was! Its from the 2.0 4g63 engine in the galant/legnum code EA2A so it should work! Thats why I was like why wont this work! Now its got me thinking the blocks are moulded differently as I cant find a bolt that holds the bracket to the block for this??

I might have to buy one from the US galant as trying to find a unit with the correct size and specs is just going to be difficult and awkward so I might choose the easy route haha

Well, It looks like the rear bracket is on the right position, but the front bracket is not.

I installed a galant 90amp alternator in my 2g and didn't have any problems, the plug was in the same spot and there were no difference at all, It was just a bolt on swap.

You mean the upper bracket the single one! Well thats what I mean by the galants in the uk and us must be different this was for a 4g63 engine galant so I have no idea why this did not fit

Actually, I was talking about the ears where it bolts down to the block and not the single ear.

If it bolts down to the block then it should be very simple to make it work, just design a bracket to make it work and it will be more easier then finding another alternator and risking to be different.

I would have to cut it off as the 2 that bolt to the block are about 20mm narrower then my oem unit, it would be more work doing that then for me to send this back and get one from the us! Plus they would not cover it for warranty if I mess with it,

Just an update on this! I found a part number from the US through http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com and searched the uk for a few hours over 2 days and found 1 JUST 1 company that had it in stock and more to the point was the only company to even stock this unit!!!! And it was the last one! It worked out at about £185 pounds but I managed to get it for £135 shipped (sorry for not converting it im on my phone while writing this) its expensive yes but I need one and I cant wait a few weeks for a unit from America!

Once I get this fitted and running I will post up more part numbers for an easier search as I found nothing on this forum for this swap and a part number would of worked wonders helping me out

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back