The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Playing w/ my EVO on the Dyno - 550 AWHP Pump gas HY35

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dacowgod

Supporting Vendor
Feb 3, 2006
Morgantown, West_Virginia
Just thought I'd share some results with you guys... I know its not my DSM but its still a 4g63... (For now :p) ..

I Strapped my EVO down last night to see what its making before I pull the motor for next month for a 2.4 Swap..

A short rundown is:

Stock engine (Still has balance shafts head has never been removed)
Head studs
Kelford 272s
93 Octane pump gas (No meth or anything special)
ETS 4" Intercooler.

Boost spiked to 38psi fell to 35psi by the top of the gear...this is pretty much everything the turbo can do... Theres probably room for some more timing advance and a leaner burn..but this is my DD and I want it to run safe on even the hottest/high humidity days... so it stays where its at..

The last time I had it to the track it ran 11.1@122 on about 29 or so PSI ... It had previously trapped 127 MPH last fall at 33-34 PSI tapering to 26 PSI due to a faulty wastegate... I trapped 134 with this turbo on my old AWD Spyder last year... hopefully I can get there near there w/ the EVO ..

Attachments

• Dynosheet.jpg
    Dynosheet.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 334
We don't know if te hy35 turbine wheel and housing is enough to reache the 60lb/min potential of the 54mm 7blade compressor. Some one try it out already!!! :)

Perhaps this statement should be updated in the holset thread :)

Impressive results man! :thumb: I love simple setups that just work. What are you using to tune?

Awesome numbers, great job! I wish I could run that much boost on 93 with my fp3052. What does your timing curve look like?

Thanks

I'll see if I can show you an example of my timing curve when I get home .... it dips down during peak torque area and climbs as redline approaches.. with 12-14 degrees timing advance at redline... That's how I always build a pump gas timing curve.....

I really need to get my brothers 2.4 HY35 1g to the dyno.. His car smokes the tires in 1st and 2nd when boost hits..and it pulls like a freight train compared to my EVO... I'm sure its making more torque than my car (Which is obvious with the 2.4) But i'm curious to see what he ends up making ... the car feels nuts though ..

I'll see if I can show you an example of my timing curve when I get home .... it dips down during peak torque area and climbs as redline approaches.. with 12-14 degrees timing advance at redline... That's how I always build a pump gas timing curve.....

That would be helpful, thanks :thumb:

I really need to get my brothers 2.4 HY35 1g to the dyno.. His car smokes the tires in 1st and 2nd when boost hits..and it pulls like a freight train compared to my EVO... I'm sure its making more torque than my car (Which is obvious with the 2.4) But i'm curious to see what he ends up making ... the car feels nuts though ..

Def post the results when you do! :hellyeah:

I still don't know how you guys are running pump gas like that. I have the big JMF fmic, and I don't think I could make it run like that on 93 here. No offense but it's still hard to believe.

I do know it works good on E85 tho LOL.

Your brothers car sounds likes like it's gonna eat lots of transmissions.

I still don't know how you guys are running pump gas like that. I have the big JMF fmic, and I don't think I could make it run like that on 93 here. No offense but it's still hard to believe.

I do know it works good on E85 tho LOL.

Your brothers car sounds likes like it's gonna eat lots of transmissions.

I don't know.... I was skeptical myself when my buddy Gabes car trapped the same thing on 93 octane w/ an HY35 that my HX40 car was trapping when it made 575 AWHP at Buschurs years back.... I was willing to bet his knock sensor was bad and his engine was going to die immediately ... He ran 3 seasons like that and is on the same motor :/... I put the HY35 on my old AWD Spyder on 93 and trapped within 1 MPH of both my HX40 car and Gabe....then I killed yet another transmission and ultimately parted that car out and slapped the HY on my EVO ..

... . Maybe my 93 octane is better than your 93??..Doubtful but maybe... Sometimes when I stop and get gas I end up stuck buying 92 LOL..I still fill up and I don't notice a difference ... I drive the car all around and fill up wherever and whenever I need gas though..and I drive hundreds of miles away at times.... .... .. You can buy me 93 octane and pump it into the car whenever you'd like if ya want . I like free gas ;-) haha ..

No kidding about the Transmission woes......I'm sure he will strip a gear sooner than later :/.... ...my DSM ate 3...or 4 or 5 (hell I cant remember now) Stage 4 Sheps.. and a Jacks HD 2.2 ..and a TRE stage 2.5 all within about 1000-2000 miles a piece...I changed transmissions more than I changed oil.... The Jacks died from input shaft bearing failure..but it still ended up stripping the gear....Jack hooked me up with another transmission for free ...so I will likely give that a shot again.... but I got totally sick of the constant breakage so I built a compound turbo Auto 2g for this year to try and avoid the drivetrain woes I was plagued with ...

but yeah ..anyways the HY35 still never seizes to amaze me which is why I shared this ...

I wonder though why so much power loss after 6700 rpms. It looks like car lost over 300 HP with in a 1000 rpms. I'm assuming a stock intake manifold but even then its seems a bit much. Could it be that you were floating the valves a little bit due to big cams and no springs? I guess another reason could be that the wastegate was closed the whole time and all the exhaust was forced to go thought the housing causing really high drive pressure.

Nevertheless those are some impressive numbers, good job and good luck with your 2.4 build.

I wonder though why so much power loss after 6700 rpms. It looks like car lost over 300 HP with in a 1000 rpms. I'm assuming a stock intake manifold but even then its seems a bit much. Could it be that you were floating the valves a little bit due to big cams and no springs? I guess another reason could be that the wastegate was closed the whole time and all the exhaust was forced to go thought the housing causing really high drive pressure.

Nevertheless those are some impressive numbers, good job and good luck with your 2.4 build.

It losing 300 HP in 1000 RPM would feel like hitting a brick wall haha (or Rev Limiter ;-) ) ...

We didn't have the optical pickup hooked up for RPM .. so RPM is calculated.. and the powerloss is from hitting rev limit... If I bump the rev limit out farther it just extends out farther and then shows the same power loss when it hits rev limit...

I would see the power loss in the logs as a dramatic drop in VE in the SD Table if it was seriously losing that kind of power... (Or a dramatic loss of boost if it was blowing the gate open) ...I'm sure I have rather high exhaust back pressure... but that would show up in the engines VE and the SD table would fall off hard if that were the case... ... Its just the dyno being stupid.... Though it did throw me for a loop the first time I seen it as well.... I have the dyno sheet from the shootout last year on Buschurs dyno that doesnt have the same symptom..

..It has MAP Ultimate Duty Springs in it..failed to mention woops..

Ricky is right the drop off is the calculated RPM and it showing rev limit. When the optical sensor is used that isn't shown. Just a quirk of method used to get an rpm signal for the pull LOL

There is only one, yes. :D

Hey .. Don't forget the HE341 Hotside bolts to the HY35 does it not? :p (Though still technically the same volute size) ..

But to answer the question..This is the factory 9cm open T3 hotside found on any take-off HY35

Jeez, my HY35 seemed to tap out at 440hp on 93, same cams, headstuds, etc.

But then I saw a crap load of boost leaks, LOL.

Man- two pump gas HY35 users making 550+whp, one E85 HY35 user making a shade over 600. This is definitely a magical turbo with proper supporting mods and tune!

He doesn't hit 300ft lbs of torque until around 5k rpm. What is so special about this turbo? (outside of price) It seems to make the right power for the lag.

He doesn't hit 300ft lbs of torque until around 5k rpm. What is so special about this turbo? (outside of price) It seems to make the right power for the lag.
Show me a PTE anything that has made 600whp with a 54mm compressor wheel....let alone doing so while carrying a $200 price tag.

Show me a PTE anything that has made 600whp with a 54mm compressor wheel....let alone doing so while carrying a $200 price tag.

Exactly.

Plus, don't forget the rpm signal on the dyno was calculated:

We didn't have the optical pickup hooked up for RPM .. so RPM is calculated.. and the powerloss is from hitting rev limit... If I bump the rev limit out farther it just extends out farther and then shows the same power loss when it hits rev limit...

To be frank with you, wheel horsepower is where it matters. Who cares what size wheel? Is that really something to brag about with the boys? "Well I made more power with a smaller comp wheel!" That dyno graph is laggy. As said before, outside of price, nothing special about this.

Indeed, the area under the curve is seriously lacking.
Why is that?
Is it because of the lower timing you have to run in order to achieve that kind of boost on 93 octane?

It's a dyno graph, jesus you guys are idiots. There's plenty of area under the curve.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Full boost just a bit after 4K and good power all the way to 8k with small cams and a shitty intake.

It's a dyno graph, jesus you guys are idiots. There's plenty of area under the curve.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Full boost just a bit after 4K and good power all the way to 8k with small cams and a shitty intake.
Hey, what's with the name calling?
You're lucky you live in the middle of the country, you internet tough guy...

Hey, what's with the name calling?
You're lucky you live in the middle of the country, you internet tough guy...

He's lucky he lives in the middle of the country.. why exactly? You like everyone else that runs their mouth on the interwebs would do precisely nothing in person.

He calls someone stupid, yet your telling him he's fortunate not to be in proximity to you and somehow he is the one playing tough guy?

Is this going to be like your meltdown on NABR? ROFL

Cut the crap and keep this thread clean.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back