The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

HX40 pump gas stock ecu SD conv.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModularTurbo

Probationary Member
Mar 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Hi all,

I don't normally post but I just finished a car last night for a customer (98gst14b) and it impressed me. I figured that you guys might like to see it as well.

Mods:
Stock ECU ceddy mods SD w/ OMNI 4 bar map and gm IAT
Ebay SMIM
greddy bov
big fmic
stock crank
wiseco pistons
forged rods (unsure of type)
Kelford 272's
stock TB
ebay and homemade turbo kit
HX40 turbo BEP housing
93 pump gas
1 x 10gal/hr nozzle pre turbo comp
4 x 4gal/hr nozzles direct ported in the runners
Spraying Denatured Alcohol from Home depot

I previously tuned this car about 6 months ago and it made about 490 on a dyno jet with an hx35 and 32psi, at that time I calibrated my virtual dyno software to match up to the dyno for this car.

We started off with the stock MAF and obviously it pegged pretty early.
So we decided to give speed density a shot. I have never done it on a stock ecu before so there was a little trial and error.

Anyways long story short here are the results with EVOscan log file

Any suggestions would be appreciated, there is not much timing at all in the motor. We ended up calling it quits at 42psi

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• EvoScanDataLog_2013.01.22_23.19.06.csv
    5.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Of course I always street tune, the drivability is great.

Did it not make power above 7k? I would think with the hx40,I'm assuming .70 a/r, 272's, 42psi, alky injection, and smim, it would continue making power to at least 8k?? Great numbers none the less. Pretty high boost to get there though. With higher quality, properly designed intake and exhaust manifolds, it'd probably make the same if not more power with less boost. Looks like a blast!!!

Straight Alcohol injection? Damn, it obviously did wonders. Those curves are just perfect. Nice job tuning bro!

Don't laugh guys but the car has a STOCK throttle body and elbow still LOL

I am sure that it is bottlenecking things.

Thanks for the compliment.

I have never done the SD conversion before so I definitely learned ALOT.

We are going to the track on Friday so hopefully i can post up some videos of that.

Maybe 98gst14b will let me drive it... :hmm:

It pulls great to 8300 rpm but that pull got cut short for other reasons.

Wow... Took the Injectors pretty far. Speaking of which what injectors is the car running?

As you said I'd try to give it some more timing from about late 4.5k ish up I don't see that being an Issue with Alky injection. Probably could make some more power on lower boost and not be on the edge with the injectors :thumb:

I tried to give it some more timing but the car just did not like it.

I previously tuned this car about 6 months ago and it made about 490 on a dyno jet with an hx35 and 32psi, at that time I calibrated my virtual dyno software to match up to the dyno for this car.
That HX35 ended up being a dud...I believe the Tim's .63 housing was holding it back from it's true potential.

I honestly believe the Tim's housing isn't the .63 a/r it's claimed to be...it's probably a mis-labeled .48 housing. I'm basing this on the results of the previous .63 a/r housing used on Tom's T04E60 turbo which didn't blow the gate open and made nearly the same horsepower at a lower boost level. Ideally he wanted something drop-in ready for the HX35....I should have just had his old .63 Garrett housing machined so we knew what we had, then given him something I had on stock to sell the 60-trim with.

I knew this HX40 setup would turn out awesome once the bugs were worked out! Not many people can say they own a fully pump-gas capable 600hp car. If anybody wants proof that this is the setup he's using- I still have the pics of the turbo right before it was boxed and shipped...it's the same HX40 / BEP housing that anyone can buy and use:

Don't laugh guys but the car has a STOCK throttle body and elbow still LOL

I am sure that it is bottlenecking things.
No doubt! Those things are only 52mm (2.04") I.D. at the throttle body. Tiny! Of course if he's still using the stock 52mm 2G throttle body, it's really all he needs.

Great job on the tune, by the way! :applause:

Last edited by a moderator:
oh btw the injectors are 950cc

But they are scaled to 647cc due to the SD conversion

Had a small issue with spark blowout, ended up gapping to .18 and fixed.

Just get a 1g throttle body and call it a day, great results none the less, congrats :)

Tom tried to launch the car the other nite after some serious shit talking from myself ROFL....

Result: Brand new ACT 2900 and fidanza flywheel destroyed :hellyeah:

Maybe he can post up pics of the carnage.

Quarter master twin disc going in tomorrow night.:hellyeah:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 198
I'm confused, is the tims .63 housing still installed or did you change it out with the HX40 to another bolt-on housing? What did you end up having the timing at?

Congrats looks like it will be a blast once the clutchis fixed.

Man thats a big nozzle to be spraying before the turbo. You guys chipping fins yet doing that?

I am running a 70A/r hx40 on my car at 35psi injecting 10GPH 100% meth before throttle body, stock block, been able to squeeze 22-23* of timing problem free.

BTW Justin I just checked the turbo you rebuilt for me not to long ago, holding up great!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused, is the tims .63 housing still installed or did you change it out with the HX40 to another bolt-on housing?
The actual turbo is pictured above. The Tim's housing is long-gone.

BTW Justin I just checked the turbo you rebuilt for me not to long ago, holding up great!
Awesome- always great to hear! :thumb:

UPDATE: Finally got the car to the eigth mile and ran a best of 7.254 @ 100.85 mph with a 1.67 60'

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back