The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Highest hp/tq made on a 4g64 sohc

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

why would you go sohc , when you can change the head to dohc that would give you better flow and more power?

The 16v SOHC head intake ports are small (smaller then a 2g DOHC head) and the intake manifold is very restrictive. But I would think you should be able to make more power then what you posted on a built SOHC 16v head.

You can build a SOHC, RPW makes camshafts for the SOHC, but the question is how much porting can you actually do on the intake side of things on the SOHC head?. I would think you would have to be able to port the intake ports to factory 2g sizing to use at least the 2g intake manifold for an upgrade.

I'm in the middle of a DOHC head swap/intake on my 4G64T currently. I did run my 4G64T on the SOHC setup for about 6 months.

I was using a TD06H-20g @ 15 psi and it felt great. When I tried to crank the boost to 20 psi, the most I could get with the car being stable was 18 psi. Above 18 psi the car felt jerky in the higher rpm band (my rpm redline is 6.5k on the SOHC), almost like fuel cut, but what I'm thinking is that the SOHC head (with small ports) and SOHC intake manifold couldn't handle the additional airflow at higher rpms, because when I backed it down to 18 psi, it ran fine again to redline. (yes I did upgrade my injectors before trying to turn the boost up)

I do have all supporting mods (forged motor 8.5:1 4G64 motor, bigger injectors, upgraded pump, afpr, 3" O2, DP, Exhaust, EWG, no cat, H/E, 700 cfm W/A IC, 2.5" IC piping, etc.)

The only thing that wasn't upgraded was the SOHC head/intake manifold. I'm pretty sure it became a HUGE restriction on that TD06H-20g above 18 psi. I will know for sure as soon as I finish putting the water pipe, and turbo side of thing back on the DOHC setup and tune it.

Since I'm getting a 97 gs spyder was wondering if anyone has try to max out the 4g64 with the sohc head. Highest I found was 220hp/280tq with a 14b

No, but I plan on attempting that goal. Heres a partial list of some of things i was looking to do:

Bolt ons:
70mm S90 throttle-body
RPW LMIM
Forced Performance Race Manifold
small/big 16g turbo (haven't decided)
2.5 cat-back exhaust (might do 3 later)
Avid racing motor mounts
BSE-Kit
Fluid-damper Crank Pulley
unorthodox racing power/alternator pulley (probably not needed but eh got it anyway LOL)

Internals:
RPW Stage 2 Camshafts
RPW Valve Springs
RPW Adjustable Cam Gears

Fuel:
Walbro 190lp-255
AFPR
450-550cc injectors +resistor pack

Tuning:
99 Flash able ECU w/EvoScan

Some of the things I already have and some I'm still getting. Whether I reach that goal or not only time will tell.

Lol bud. Why do you have a red chicklet LOL haha

Op I have no idea, and good luck I'm interested, looks like something nobody has tried yet.

I messed around too many times.Not a big deal.I'll just clean up my act and get back out there.No harm no foul.Except my own demise.:aha:

Chris How does your girl feel about all these projects? Mine goes"how much are you spending on that car today"..

I know about projects.I have a few in the house, a few outside.Blah blah blah.True story.

That manifold is for the 3g 4g64. And $1600 is effing insane. Your would be better off buying a SMIM. Heck, for $1600 you could throw on a DOHC head.

Also, are you talking about maximum NA power? Or the highest power with turbo + SOHC?

No, but I plan on attempting that goal. Heres a partial list of some of things i was looking to do:

Bolt ons:
70mm S90 throttle-body
RPW LMIM
Forced Performance Race Manifold
small/big 16g turbo (haven't decided)
2.5 cat-back exhaust (might do 3 later)
Avid racing motor mounts
BSE-Kit
Fluid-damper Crank Pulley
unorthodox racing power/alternator pulley (probably not needed but eh got it anyway LOL)

Internals:
RPW Stage 2 Camshafts
RPW Valve Springs
RPW Adjustable Cam Gears

Fuel:
Walbro 190lp-255
AFPR
450-550cc injectors +resistor pack

Tuning:
99 Flash able ECU w/EvoScan

Some of the things I already have and some I'm still getting. Whether I reach that goal or not only time will tell.

Am i missing something or did you forget to mention the most important parts: forged rods/pistons. A N/A engine cant run past about 8psi on stock internals. The cams wont help one bit with that. Also upgraded head studs and a MLS or good composite HG is a MUST have.

Am i missing something or did you forget to mention the most important parts: forged rods/pistons. A N/A engine cant run past about 8psi on stock internals. The cams wont help one bit with that. Also upgraded head studs and a MLS or good composite HG is a MUST have.

8 psi huh... :tease:

guess my car and a friends car should have blown up 2 years ago, and moneypits car pushing 15-16psi should have blown up 2-3 years ago too then. ROFL

stock headstuds here as well... what else is a must when so far its been proven by a few that everything you listed is a option not a must.

That manifold is for the 3g 4g64. And $1600 is effing insane. Your would be better off buying a SMIM. Heck, for $1600 you could throw on a DOHC head.

Also, are you talking about maximum NA power? Or the highest power with turbo + SOHC?

Yes highest with turbo+sohc. I believe this combo would be a great street driven , even autocross.

Am i missing something or did you forget to mention the most important parts: forged rods/pistons. .
*smack yourself LOL*

No seriously when you find those forged pistons you let me know and I'll be glad to throw them on. :)

A N/A engine cant run past about 8psi on stock internals

*Smack yourself again*
From my understanding generally with a 16g variant 8-12psi would generally be the area of comfort. Still not much but eh gotta do what you can with what you have.

The cams wont help one bit with that

Lol so have you tried those cams with that combination and dyno-tuned it? Because I have seen those cams on somewhat similiar builds produce 15-20whp.

In any case you never know till you try :)

Yes highest with turbo+sohc. I believe this combo would be a great street driven , even autocross.

Not sure how you would utlize that with a turbo but nevertheless it would be interesting. In any casethe guy who said that its for a 3g thats not true as its made for the 2g 4g64 and even if that wasnt the case Dave makes them for any model its just hella expensive.

Not sure how you would utlize that with a turbo but nevertheless it would be interesting.

Oh and its not just for a 3g there made for 2gs as well and can be custom made for any model they are just hella expensive.

Last edited:
Even if that manifold can be made for the 2g 4g64, what is the point? Sure, two TB's look cool, but that's about it. Flow doesn't matter when the SOHC head is the biggest bottleneck in the engine bay.

$1600 could buy a DOHC head and a decent SMIM which would produce more gains than a dual TB intake could ever dream of. Not to mention the added work to hook up charge piping, two throttle cables, two IAC's, two BOV's, etc. It's not worth it when there are 1000hp manifolds for that price.

Not trying to be rude, it's just not a good idea in any way.

Haha well in all honeest you dont need 2 throttle cables pers say as it comes wth a linkage that opens the second throttlebody at higher rpms kinda like the cyclone manifold (for the 1 or 2g i forget) . You just need some sort of aftermarket tunning thing to control the idle speed stepper.

In any case your not being rude as I really didnt say it was worth while to do. To be quite honest I'm not even sure it would be possible to configure it with a turbo with all the crazy pipping that would need to be done. In addition I as well woulnt waste it on a 2g sohc the only thing I would use a dual on is if I was going to build a crazy N/a build with a dohc setup. So not sure what we are arguing on anyway LOL

I meant being rude in a broad term. I hate shooting down creative ideas, but that one is just way out there. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's a bit extreme. LOL

I just saw it on there site never seen anything like that on a 4g. Was just putting it out there not saying I'm getting it, I rather port the intake side and if possible get a custom intake manifold made.

8 psi huh... :tease:

guess my car and a friends car should have blown up 2 years ago, and moneypits car pushing 15-16psi should have blown up 2-3 years ago too then. ROFL

stock headstuds here as well... what else is a must when so far its been proven by a few that everything you listed is a option not a must.

And it makes HOW much power....???? Not trying to be rude. Just pointing out the obvious.

And it makes HOW much power....???? Not trying to be rude. Just pointing out the obvious.

Seeing as though that car isn't meant to be boosted and has nearly no aftermarket support without the dohc setup I say that's pretty good. So your "obvious point" is pretty moot.

hurricanecris24 said:
I just saw it on there site never seen anything like that on a 4g. Was just putting it out there not saying I'm getting it, I rather port the intake side and if possible get a custom intake manifold made.

You could always get the other manifold as it would be easier to work with although its still hella expensive and unproven on this platform (as nobody tried it). In any case if you do wish to make your own the first non twin throttle body seems to just have the plenum chopped off and replaced with a new 100mm plenum. The runners on the other hand are slightly lengthen with aluminum spun inside. For the second one here's some up close pictures you can use to create it:

Twin Throttle Body Assy - 4cyl

Pics: RPW twin throttlebody setup - evolutionm.net

Both methods assume you have some sort of skills welding or know somebody who can. Regardless good luck to ya and if you do make one report back and post pics :).

I would just buy a damn turbo engine and throw in there. You will spend half of what you are planning on and have more power.

Thats the obvious option but i believe he asked for highest sohc power soooo...

Well that questions is no able to be answered being that not every person that has built one is on this site, or might not have posted it on the internet in general.

Well that questions is no able to be answered being that not every person that has built one is on this site, or might not have posted it on the internet in general.

Perhaps but as you said not everybody post on this site, so for all we know somebody has or maybe signs up and has the answer to his question. The point though is that he wish to inquire more information not be told to "drop a turbo engine in" because that answer is totally counterproductive to the thread.

Especially seeing as though he already has a "turbo engine"(the gsx in his profile) not to mention he doesn't seem like a noob as he has over 700 post. So im pretty sure he knows if he wanted to make real power to stick with his gsx however once again thats not what he asked.

I'm not trying to be rude or a dick either just your post was irrelevant to the op question...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back