The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

4G37 Dyno Results (I WAS SHOCKED!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boot92

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2009
Brentwood, Tennessee
NOTE: I posted this on Streetfire.net, so instead of retyping i just Copied and Pasted.

Recently Dyno'd my 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4g37 1.8L N\T motor

was with some friends who were dynoing there cars @ Carma Performance Engineering in Nashville which includes
BPU S2k 03'
Built B16A Integra 96'
Built Monte Carlo 89'
LS1 Swap Delta 88 87'
Turbo B18A1 CRX 91'
Kenny Belle S\C Cobra 03'

for a joke they pressured me into doing my 1G eclipse with its puny motor.
and we were actually shocked. I knew I had gained some power after I did all of this modding, but I thought it was just a recovery and maybe a small increase....Man was I wrong.

Stock: Redline @ 6k
*92 Horsepower (XXXX RPMs cannot find)
*105 Ft-Lbs Torque (XXXX RPMs cannot find)
*Downhill max speed of 113MPH @ 4900RPMS (GPS SAID SO! Speedo read 115)

DYNO RESULTS!!: Redline @ 6k
*123 Horsepower @ 5900 RPMs
*131 Ft-Lb's Torque @4200 RPMs
*Max Speed 142 MPH @ Redline. (on dyno remember) (speedo goes to 145)

you have to admit, for a engine that has 195k miles, a very very small performance market, and has no HP to begin with, this was a big increase for the amount of money put into it. (For those who don't believe me, there is Pictures and Videos of the Dynos and Dyno Sheets from the whole day)

Constantly Told the 4g37 will never brake 100hp.

I beg to differ :f-u:

MODS! (with brands)
*Custom Built\Rebuilt Cylinder Head (M37) using slightly larger cam from a M36 Cylinder head for the 4g37 (OEM)
*Removed A\C pulley (No A\C anyways so why waste the HP?)
*Custom made CAI (Modded Existing OEM intake. Still has highly restrictive OEM Intake hose tho)
*Removed Honeycomb from MAF. (My Own Mod)
*Plugs (NGK)
*Wires (NGK)
*High Flow Air Filter (K&N)
*91 Octane Pump Gas (SHELL)
Everything else is stock!

Repairs\Maintenance (With Brands)
*Rebuilt Cylinder head (OEM)
*New Head Gasket (FEL-PRO) (Blew original one. This led to rebuilding the head)
*Cylinder Head Gasket Set (FEL-PRO)
*Cylinder Head Bolts (FEL-PRO)
*Replaced Down pipe (BOSAL W\ FEL-PRO Gaskets) (old one had a bad exhuast leak)
*Synthetic Oil (Mobile 1)
*Oil Filter (FRAM)
*Thermostat (Murray)
*New Battery (Cheap O'rileys off brand for now)

Total spent on car so far, including car its self which was $550.
*990.12$ not bad

I think there's still alot of potential from my Baby.
everything is un-tuned still
and i still need to get a few things to up the power more
*Exhaust (half Custom made)
*Headers (gonna have to get some custom made)
*Better Flowing Intake Pipe\Hose
*Injectors
*Maybe some ECU stuff if i can find some (i don't know much about ECU's so any help or tips would be great!)

PICS AND VIDEOS ASAP!

HP sadly..... I wonder what the WHP comes out to be?

its 5speed FWD so i imagine its not much less

keep in mind this car has 195k miles on it, has blown a head gasket b4, and also has a pencil eraser size dent in the #1 Cylinder.

i noticed by my avatar it says 123.4WHP its suppose to be HP.

i don't know how to change it. but my Dyno sheet has been uploaded if you want to see it.

no because it makes 92 to the Crank stock (HP)
not 92 to the Wheels stock (WHP)

i don't think any car manufacturer ever measures Power by the wheels.
always by crank.

don't be a ass. stop hating that some one actually accomplished something with a 4G37 for cheap.

i swear there's more flaming on here then a Honda kid on a Mustang forum.

and no one else realized that there are more then one type of Heads for the 4g37.
Credit should be given when Credit is due.. and then when you mix and match them there are free HP gains there

:notgood:

Umm, 92 at the crank is like what 75 at the wheels? I don't understand your argument there.

If you dynoed the car, how do you not have your whp?

Idk....they just dyno'd it, handed me my sheet..

im saying i made 123 at the crank.

im going back next weekend with friends who need to tune more, ill run it again. id tune it but, im gonna wait till after i get my Headers, and exhuast and new Cat.

i dont know much about dynoing...this was my first time.
all i know is its used to measure Power and TQ, and tune cars.

i have no idea what goes on, and how to do things right or any of that.

If you ended up with a dyno chart, you have your whp. Sounds like a generous dyno though. For comparison, what type of numbers were your friends putting out?

If you pulled your car onto rollers (or bolted the dyno to your wheel hubs) then the dyno measued WHP - To measure horsepower at the crank, you must remove the engine.

Your numbers are WHP, which is a good thing. That means you have more than that at the crank.

I don't need too, my dyno sheet says (HP), not (WHP)

So I was just assuming it was in (HP), and not (WHP)

Im not arguing, I was just going by my sheet, like I said, I am new to dynoing.

Please read my post's carefully.

Not tryin to be a douche.

Yes, really. Go to wikipedia and search for whp. The first thing that is listed is "The acronym for Wheel Horse Power, commonly used when referring to dynamometer readings."

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a dyno sheet that has WHP on it. It's usually just HP.

Kid didn't know chill out man, we're all new sometime, and we've all been there, he doesn't need a mod acting like a jerk to him.

I'm impressed with those numbers for a 1.8, although I'm wondering how the headers will affect the numbers.

Great numbers regardless. What's the future plans for your 1.8?

well...for now

exhuast (costum made)
headers (costum made)
injectors (its rumored that certain 4g63 injectors will fit the 4g37)
better intake pipe hose.

in the long run ill plan on pulling the motor, and doing a rebuild, and hopefully getting some forged rods. i might also up the CC, and then ill go turbo. it will just be a small turbo since im not aiming for anything too huge. 250hp is my goal.

thanks for the postive comments, you wont believe the negative comments i got on some of the other car forums

Found a Picture of a Turbo 4g37 motor.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

if you cant tell that is turbo'd then there is something not right with you.

I don't believe it one bit, go to the track and lets see if you can hit a 15.8 or better than I'll believe that it put down 120.

I don't believe it one bit, go to the track and lets see if you can hit a 15.8 or better than I'll believe that it put down 120.

What's the big deal? Its not like he's saying he has 157hp. Regardless of the 1.8 engine its a DSM none the less. SO why be negative?

exactly :D

thank you Traid

N\A motors FTW

besides, the car is still loads of fun.
even when i first got it and the valves were sticking, it was still fun.

All dyno's are different! they mean nothing unless compared to before and after on the same dyno. you could get on another dyno and it read 60whp, doesn't mean anything without real world results:)

now that you have a baseline you can mod to your hearts content and redyno on the same dyno and that would be of useful information to you and others

All dyno's are different! they mean nothing unless compared to before and after on the same dyno. you could get on another dyno and it read 60whp, doesn't mean anything without real world results:)

now that you have a baseline you can mod to your hearts content and redyno on the same dyno and that would be of useful information to you and others

well i wont be going back to a dyno until i have more money, because i need to get exhuast and headers and what not, 2g 4g63 MAF, Injectors, 4G63 TB conversion, etc. exhuast will cost the most tho i bet.

i might wait on the headers since i have to have them made, and im not sure how much it will cost.

so it probably wont be till mid summer.

What's the big deal? Its not like he's saying he has 157hp. Regardless of the 1.8 engine its a DSM none the less. SO why be negative?

You're too simple minded, lets face the facts this engine isn't that powerful. I don't care what it's in could be on the back of a mouse. 130 whp is basically what dohc non vtec honda b18b b18a Integras put down.. This piddly diddly little Mitsubisi sohc engine just as powerful as an N/T 4g63 and 420a.. for no apparent reason.

Go to the track lets see your times you should have no problem doing high 15's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back