Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > DSM Build Journals
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

DSM Build Journals: Start a Journal to document your DSM build or document a race event you participated in.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 03:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 533
Classifieds Rating: 7

95 TSi Build

Just having issues running, so i drove her down to the garage and tore it apart. I know stupid right? Just glad I did with so much fail with everything

Ok heres more information:
I moved from Orlando Florida to Michigan. My car had been running fantastic and never really left me on the side of the road. Well moving to MI has destroyed my car. My tune just was not working well with the change. Well I made a good friend here who I met off dsmtuners to be honest. he did the best he could with a tune, but eveytime we tryed to richen it up, the car would pull more and more fuel. The minute you took even 1% fuel away from its running condition, the car would cut ALL fuel out completely. Well i drove the car with it running lean because this is my only transportation. Well on cold start ups i would have to sit there with my foot on the gas for about 2 minutes then it would idle. Well everyday the car would become worse and worse on running conditions.

I'm running a COP setup that is home made. Well my oil cap looked to be leaking a little bit of oil, so it was running down into my valve cover Well the oil was running across the COP under side and getting into all the wiring. I thought this was causing the car to misfire, but yet i wasn't pulling any codes or CEL. I was having issues with the wideband UEGO, reading maxed out AFRs and my car was running like crap to where I had no throttle or anything. I would have to run the car like this until the AFR's started to richen up. Once the car began to richen up, it would throw you in the seat and clear up and run fantastic.

Well with the bogging issue, the massive tuning issues, and everything else, I was getting frustrated. I was throwing $40 in gas in this thing every 3 days it seems and went no where. Well I desided to throw on another tune I had previously from florida where I was running well. Well that didn't seem to work too well. My car started smoking worse, you could see the RICH smoke marks in the snow, and smoking under my hood. Well the fricken head was pouring oil out of the head to where i had a broken exhaust manifold stud.

I drove the car down to the barn to check further, thats when we made no progress on the issue, and said to tare it down. Well the head bolts were all tight, except the one in the corner of the head, where the oil was pouring out. This could have been ALL my issues, but we still said pull it apart. Needless to say, everything in this motor was RTV and no gaskets, and just fail on every end. Im not even joking when I said fail.

The car I bought and had a trans shop install my transmission and install a new clutch kit. Well they only installed the trans with the front 2 bolts, which left the trans literally barely on. With the trans installed like this, it cause my starter plate to brake in half, you see the broken EAR on the trans from stress, the clutch was slipping bad and its new, and even the ear on my new slave was broken.

Head 6 bolt

*New Viton valve Seals
*Stock intake valves with 4 angle cut.
*Evo sodium filled exhaust valves with 4 angle cut.
*NGK brp6es Spark Plugs
*cleaned up springs
*cleaned up Cams
*Black Top CAS
*Cleaned up 1g intake

Block 7 bolt
*Permatorque Headgasket
*New RIngs
*New 2g Pistons
*Cleaned up Rods
*Balance Shaft delete
*Polished Crank .005 endplay
*New ACL Aluaglide bearings
*All new OEM seals on oil pump

Audio
*(2) 12 inch Memphis 1000w Subs
*(1) 1000w Memphis amp
*Sony headunit
*Stock front speakers
*Pioneer 6x9's

Other Stuff
*Battary Trunk Relocate
*Fuse box relocate
*Engine Bay painted
*ABS Deleted
*AC Deleted
*Power Steering deleted
*Emissions Deleted
*Coil On Plug (Chrysler 300 Coils)
*Evo 560cc Injectors
*V3 Full ECMlink
*Greddy Style FMIC
*HKS SSQV Bov
*Injen intake with cone filter
*Triple gauge Pod
*Boost/oil pressure/AEM UEGO gauges
*14b turbo upgrade from stock 2g
*Oil SS line
*4 Bar Omni Map
*ECMlink Speed Density
*Rear motor mount Red Poly mount
*Ebay Manual Boost Controller

Exterior
*Blitz body kit molded
*Custom Red paint with metallic flake
*Talon 2gb Front
*Falken 17x7.5 Rims
*215 45 17 tires Z rated
*Smoked out Talon lights
*2.5 inch full exhaust 4 in tip

Last edited by wickedz; 01-19-2012 at 06:10 AM.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 619
Photos: 112
Classifieds Rating: 0
Yea, less wires is a nice look, my battery is in the location that you put the fuse box. But I didn't want to move the battery to the back. Good job man looks nice.
I noticed you didn't take off parts from the firewall, the fenders or windshield cowl to paint the engine bay. Just trying to paint it quick?
View photos of this member's car 

Old 01-18-2012, 04:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thanks man, it will be cleaner when I get trans in, then We can actually start the cleanup process

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattasi View Post
Yea, less wires is a nice look, my battery is in the location that you put the fuse box. But I didn't want to move the battery to the back. Good job man looks nice.
I noticed you didn't take off parts from the firewall, the fenders or windshield cowl to paint the engine bay. Just trying to paint it quick?
Everything was removed from firewall to paint, and wiper crowl was taped off.

Last edited by wickedz; 01-18-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 26
Photos: 11
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 10
Looks clean, I like how you have your cop setup on there.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 96
Classifieds Rating: 0
the most undescriptive and short build thread ever! your leaving alot out Paul!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

I know man I hear ya, I was in a hurry. Updating to the top now

Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 97 Subaru Legacy GT
Tech Posts: 510
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 35
Send a message via Yahoo to dented_coffee
All the bearings were getting ready to fail pretty much.
2 of the rod bearings tangs where starting to go flat, thrust bearing was out of spec and nearing CW probably.
2 cam journals were only riding on half the bearing surface (no clue what was going on there).
It was pushing crap tons of oil on #4 cyl (enough to make a mess all over everything arround the exhaust leak he had).
1 head bolt was near backed out.
Turbo journal bearing was coaked up and frozen on the turbines shaft.
Manny seals were bad, and someone told him to cut the rear seals sealing spring because it was near wrapped arround the crank.
The flywheel was so badly slipping it was a perfect mirror reflection.
One trans Dowel pin was missing. One trans mounting ear is busted off.
Oil pickup tube was near plugged from a dented in oil pan.

That's the most of it really. Iv been helping as much as I can and throwing spare parts, time, tools and new seals in to get this finished because of a tight budget. She's fitted with my old ARP's now, new aluaglide acl bearings, new oem seals, my custom home made felpro gaskets, permatorque Headgasket, my old but basically brand new 6-bolt head I bought from mitsubishi, my home made BSE kit (modded oil pump support shaft nub), new 2g turbo pistons and rings, polished crank, soon the be CAS converted, abs delete, mild wire tuck, and batt relocation.

This project will be finished the next time I go to his garage and finish some wiring, and trans install, and finish up a few loose ends. It would of been finished already if it were warm out lol. To cold when it reaches -1*F outside and the fuel oil runs out in the heater.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

More pictures during rebuild

Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Just a UPDATE

Not much more has been done really. I got pretty much everything installed under the hood and all my piping and front mount. I'm still waiting for my friend to show up, because we need to do a few things before installing the tranny. Such a clean car, then I install my UPIC and its ugly long route. I can't wait for a job, so I can redo all my piping and FMIC

Old 01-21-2012, 10:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Update.

Well I must say im so ####ing frustrated right now. Now my FMIC piping isnt fitting, and I have a few oher issues with doing the 7 bolt head swap to a 6 bolt head. Now I must walk away and take a deep breath

Ah #### it, here is how she sits for the night. Im done for the day

Got the Fuel hooked up, the throttle is hooked up, some plugs are done now, got the rest of my piping installed, few other odds and ends are done for now.

And got some nice injector clips that wont break.

Last edited by wickedz; 01-22-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Update,

Well today, she got her bumper on her. Also Im trying to figure out the wiring on the COP, so that will be done. Slowly getting there

Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 149
Photos: 3
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedz View Post
Update,

Well today, she got her bumper on her. Also Im trying to figure out the wiring on the COP, so that will be done. Slowly getting there
Awesome progress! Its looking really good, can't wait until mine gets to that stage.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thanks buddy, yeah I started all this just after christmas. So yeah between my friends and I, we have completely done to this in a months time, what others accomplish in a years time or more of project down time.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Some more updates

Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

car is running fantastic. will try to get video after few new parts arrive

Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 1
Photos: 1
great re-build!!! im about to start mine in april. got a 95 tsi awd! love it! i was going to give my opinion why it was running so bad, thought it may have been the power transistor or coil pack. any way awesome build! any advise you can give??

Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 558
Classifieds Rating: 20
Nice man. Where at in Michigan?

Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Doing alot of major upgrade changes :-). Here is some today just clean up detial work

From THIS

To THIS

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 149
Photos: 3
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 33
Still looking great man, the COP setup looks sweet! On the picture of the rear of the talon with the high rise spoiler, on the left side of the hatch there is a decal that says BUILT [ ]. Where did you get that?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

It says built 4g63 :-). I got it from a friend of our car group in Orlando