Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Drivetrain Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Drivetrain Tech: 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 1,585
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 37

front and rear motor mounts/roll stops

are you tired of your noisy solid aluminum roll stops? or want to stop wasting money one replacments because they keep ripping even with those crappy inserts that come with the Prothane and ES motor mount kits?

well i think i have a soultion for you
its still in the works but i hope to have a working prototype sometime this month

heres some teaser pics

heres what you get once you remove the stock rubber bushings

that rear mount jout wouldent work as is so we decided to fit an aluminum sleeve so it will accept a polyurethane bushings a bit better

the plan is to make it a split bushings design very similar to the polyurethane trans and engine mounts that prothane makes.

ill update this thread as this progresses!

Last edited by black_gst; 03-07-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Visit black_gst's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 485
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 7
one question.... what advantage is there going this route over something like a complete custom replacement like the ones avid racing makes????

Last edited by dsmtun3r98gst; 03-04-2011 at 10:45 PM.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2006 Nissan Sentra SE
Tech Posts: 1,967
Classifieds Rating: 26
Reputation: 97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy97gst_spyder is pretty helpful and trustworthy
I took mine out and gutted the factory rubber and eyelet out. Then leathed down the 1g solid prothanes for mine. Worked well and only took 3 hours and $30 total.

But that sleeve on the rear looks awesome!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 6,590
Classifieds Rating: 29
Send a message via AIM to LiquidX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmtun3r98gst View Post
one question.... what advantage is there going this route over something like a clomplete custom replacement like the ones avid racing makes????
+1

I would assume the price would have to be much better than the Avid for it to be worth while.

So yours will be a full mount already assembled or do we need to send out ours or what would actually happen? What's the reasoning for cutting the mount in the center?

97 ṰŠlΩИ ṰƧɨ Λ₩ƿ

Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Banned Member

Car: Bicycle
Tech Posts: 2,196
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: ramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthyramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to ramsack
The mount isn't cut, that's how they come, hence the need for a sleeve to be added. I don't get why a stock sleeve can't be used, and just have the rubber stuff gutted out of it. That could lower cost.
Visit ramsack's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmtun3r98gst View Post
one question.... what advantage is there going this route over something like a clomplete custom replacement like the ones avid racing makes????
well price is def the advantage. for both the front and rear motor mount bushings im aiming for is sub $120!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97gst_spyder View Post
I took mine out and gutted the factory rubber and eyelet out. Then leathed down the 1g solid prothanes for mine. Worked well and only took 3 hours and $30 total.

But that sleeve on the rear looks awesome!
no bad, but most dont have access to a lathe and that still leaves no solution for the rear mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQUiDx View Post
+1

I would assume the price would have to be much better than the Avid for it to be worth while.

So yours will be a full mount already assembled or do we need to send out ours or what would actually happen? What's the reasoning for cutting the mount in the center?
mine will be the bushings with the center sleeves (just like prothane kit for the motor and trans mounts) and the one outer sleeve for the rear mount, if you want to install then your self you can but i am working on an exchange option where either you send me you mounts ahead of time and i send them back ready to install or i send you a set ready to install, with like an extra $60 core charge and then when i recieve your stock reusable mounts i refund you the core charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsack View Post
The mount isn't cut, that's how they come, hence the need for a sleeve to be added. I don't get why a stock sleeve can't be used, and just have the rubber stuff gutted out of it. That could lower cost.
ramsack is correct that is how they are stock
to be honest the cost of that sleeve isnt that much when compared to the hassle of burning or cutting the rubber out and then trying to clean it up really good so you can slip a pretty new bushings into it

also does everyknow that the front roll stop has a 5/8 hole in it and to bolt you put through is only 10mm dia! that mean there almost a 1/4" of play in that mount. these will come with stainless steel center sleeves that will fit snugly to the bolt and mount leaving no room for any play

Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Banned Member

Car: Bicycle
Tech Posts: 2,196
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: ramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthyramsack is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to ramsack
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_gst View Post
also does everyknow that the front roll stop has a 5/8 hole in it and to bolt you put through is only 10mm dia! that mean there almost a 1/4" of play in that mount. these will come with stainless steel center sleeves that will fit snugly to the bolt and mount leaving no room for any play
That's good! My complaint with aftermarket mounts is that they leave the hole so big to conform with OEM specs. The huge hole is only necessary for a mount that sags and changes position over time (stock rubber strap-mounts) to align the engine properly. The huge hole in the solid mounts makes a nice clunk.
Visit ramsack's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

if anyone is interested in these you can pm me for more info. these will be ready for production very soon!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 4,278
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 4
Interesting tidbit there, about the large bolt hole and small bolt. I'm dying to go experiment with my front mount now.

If not solid, can anyone see why using a larger bolt would be bad?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieEyedPiper View Post
Interesting tidbit there, about the large bolt hole and small bolt. I'm dying to go experiment with my front mount now.

If not solid, can anyone see why using a larger bolt would be bad?
You would just have to drill out the bracket to allow for a larger bolt

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

the proto types are being made right now, i hope to have them back in my hands by the end of this week/early next, ill be posting pics for everyone to see. ill be making a very limited 1st batch of these, if you would like more info please PM me

Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Quote:
The proto types are being made right now, I hope to have them back in my hands by the end of this week/early next, ill be posting pics for everyone to see. Ill be making a very limited 1st batch of these, if you would like more info please PM me.
Really? A Warning because I didnt capitalize three words and forgot a period? Thats a little extreme, dont you think?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,769
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 16
Quote:
Really? A Warning because i didnt capitalize three words and forgot a period? Thats a little extreme, dont you think?
Wow someone was bored lol

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stocker View Post
Wow someone was bored lol
Sorry man, but I had to report your post because you didnt use a Period.

This is English class so get your $hit together!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,579
Photos: 20
Classifieds Rating: 135
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
Adam, I can call out a few more issues than you found in here, or I can PM you them.

Throttle body rebuild kits

Old 04-12-2011, 09:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Yeah I know theres a couple more in there, I just didnt point them out. I posted in the semi cool people forum to continue this there, I dont want to get another warning today lol