front and rear motor mounts/roll stops

Posted by black_gst, Mar 4, 2011
Drivetrain Tech - 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

1. black_gst

black_gst Freelancer

DSM Profiles:
    IE, California
    are you tired of your noisy solid aluminum roll stops? or want to stop wasting money one replacments because they keep ripping even with those crappy inserts that come with the Prothane and ES motor mount kits?

well i think i have a soultion for you
    its still in the works but i hope to have a working prototype sometime this month

heres some teaser pics

heres what you get once you remove the stock rubber bushings

[​IMG]

that rear mount jout wouldent work as is so we decided to fit an aluminum sleeve so it will accept a polyurethane bushings a bit better

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the plan is to make it a split bushings design very similar to the polyurethane trans and engine mounts that prothane makes.

ill update this thread as this progresses!
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. dsmtun3r98gst

dsmtun3r98gst Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Westminster, California
    one question.... what advantage is there going this route over something like a complete custom replacement like the ones avid racing makes????
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. 97gst_spyder

97gst_spyder Proven Member

Lakeland, Florida
    I took mine out and gutted the factory rubber and eyelet out. Then leathed down the 1g solid prothanes for mine. Worked well and only took 3 hours and $30 total.

But that sleeve on the rear looks awesome!
  4. LiquidX

LiquidX DSM Wiseman

New Cumberland, Pennsylvania
    +1

I would assume the price would have to be much better than the Avid for it to be worth while.

So yours will be a full mount already assembled or do we need to send out ours or what would actually happen? What's the reasoning for cutting the mount in the center?
  5. ramsack

ramsack Banned Member

West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    The mount isn't cut, that's how they come, hence the need for a sleeve to be added. I don't get why a stock sleeve can't be used, and just have the rubber stuff gutted out of it. That could lower cost.
  6. black_gst

black_gst Freelancer

DSM Profiles:
    IE, California
    well price is def the advantage. for both the front and rear motor mount bushings im aiming for is sub $120!

no bad, but most dont have access to a lathe and that still leaves no solution for the rear mount

mine will be the bushings with the center sleeves (just like prothane kit for the motor and trans mounts) and the one outer sleeve for the rear mount, if you want to install then your self you can but i am working on an exchange option where either you send me you mounts ahead of time and i send them back ready to install or i send you a set ready to install, with like an extra $60 core charge and then when i recieve your stock reusable mounts i refund you the core charge

ramsack is correct that is how they are stock
    to be honest the cost of that sleeve isnt that much when compared to the hassle of burning or cutting the rubber out and then trying to clean it up really good so you can slip a pretty new bushings into it

also does everyknow that the front roll stop has a 5/8 hole in it and to bolt you put through is only 10mm dia! that mean there almost a 1/4" of play in that mount. these will come with stainless steel center sleeves that will fit snugly to the bolt and mount leaving no room for any play
  7. ramsack

ramsack Banned Member

West Lawn, Pennsylvania
    That's good! My complaint with aftermarket mounts is that they leave the hole so big to conform with OEM specs. The huge hole is only necessary for a mount that sags and changes position over time (stock rubber strap-mounts) to align the engine properly. The huge hole in the solid mounts makes a nice clunk.
  8. black_gst

black_gst Freelancer

DSM Profiles:
    IE, California
    if anyone is interested in these you can pm me for more info. these will be ready for production very soon!
  9. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    North Bay Area, California
    Interesting tidbit there, about the large bolt hole and small bolt. I'm dying to go experiment with my front mount now.

If not solid, can anyone see why using a larger bolt would be bad?
  10. black_gst

black_gst Freelancer

DSM Profiles:
    IE, California
    You would just have to drill out the bracket to allow for a larger bolt

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. black_gst

black_gst Freelancer

DSM Profiles:
    IE, California
    the proto types are being made right now, i hope to have them back in my hands by the end of this week/early next, ill be posting pics for everyone to see. ill be making a very limited 1st batch of these, if you would like more info please PM me
  12. black_gst

black_gst Freelancer

DSM Profiles:
    IE, California
    Really? A Warning because I didnt capitalize three words and forgot a period? Thats a little extreme, dont you think?
  13. 91stocker

91stocker Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Vassar, Michigan
    Wow someone was bored LOL
  14. black_gst

black_gst Freelancer

DSM Profiles:
    IE, California
    Sorry man, but I had to report your post because you didnt use a Period.

This is English class so get your $hit together! ROFL
  15. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

DSM Profiles:
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania
    Adam, I can call out a few more issues than you found in here, or I can PM you them.
  16. black_gst

black_gst Freelancer

DSM Profiles:
    IE, California
    Yeah I know theres a couple more in there, I just didnt point them out. I posted in the semi cool people forum to continue this there, I dont want to get another warning today LOL