The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Low 11's 16G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pneumo

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
Bay Area, California
Wassup!
I made it out to Test N Tune last night and had a few runs on my new setup. Yes, I'm playing with an EVO 3 turbo on my DSM. I also converted to E85 when I changed my turbo setup. The learning curve has been quick and very enlightening! My best time was 11.233@ 127.736 mph while granny shifting each gear. I'm very happy with the MPH, it shows the potential in the car. I guess that's not bad for my first time out on this turbo setup. Next I have to work on the shifting and get a little more seat time to adjust to this small turbo. My datalogs show a few other areas that can be improved, so I have some ideas for my next track day.

I also had a chance to put the car on a Mustang Dyno to dial in the tune the day before. I'm glad I did because I made the best power and torque when I removed 2 degrees of timing! I was suprised that power held up through high rpm as good as it did, especially since boost dropped off steadily from 5500rpm/30psi down to 7500/20psi. I'm sure the wastegate is blowing open, it's a 34mm flapper. I prefer the small wastegate for high boost, but I got this turbo used for $200 so I'm not complaining. :hellyeah: My best dyno run was 408 AWHP, but the torque was erratic, so I worked on the entire powerband and finalized the tune with a few less hp and more torque across the rpm range.

Here's the dyno and timeslip. Sorry it's hard to read, I think somebody needs to change the ink cartridge.

402AWHP between 6350 to 7200rpm / 375 TQ@ 4100rpm
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

In case it's not clear, the timeslip reads
Reaction .068
60' 1.578
1/8th 7.236 @ 96.021mph
ET 11.233
MPH 127.736
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

A couple things here, first congrats, second WTF!! were you on slicks or DRs? THat mph is crazy, more info on teh car.
Third, it was friday the 13th and you are the first DSM i've heard of that didn't explode yesterday.

Congrats keep up the good work.

I trapped almost 97 mph in the 1/8 with my 16g setup. I have no idea why people running 13's on one think they need a bigger turbo. I think with faster shifting, and some wastegate shimming you can hit 10's.

Yea, its amazing how faster and faster the little turbos are getting people now...and with not to many mods also...E85 really helps a lot

Thats impressive. Hopefully with some more seat time you'll be able to hit 10's. Still impressive none the less

@ OP grats :hellyeah:

Third, it was friday the 13th and you are the first DSM i've heard of that didn't explode yesterday.

I managed to get one of my best runs in to date on a 14b last night. It was actually really cool for the first night in a while and my car didnt run like buttered ass. I manage to win a couple bills off some ricers @ the test tune session.

Think my best time was a 14.87 nothing to brag about but faster than the high 16s that the vtak guys run.

Congrats man. Out of curiosity, are the mods in your profile correct (save the 14b) or what is your current set up for the 16g? I'll say it again, but I know I wont be the last, congrats!

Wow, your "E3 16g on E85" experience turned out a lot better than mine this Friday the 13th (my trans broke & gear oil'd my clutch disk).

tuning with DS-Map still? I'd love to see a full rundown of the mods, weight, and any tune info your willing to divulge.

To answer a few questions for Dave who was just here as we're getting ready to make a run at some 14b records with the Galant.

He is on BFGs and does still tune with TunerPro. The car has a lot left in it and as anyone knows this car is driven a lot and is very reliable even when making 600awhp on the GT35 setup. The 400+ dyno he put down is even more impressive seeing that the FFTec dyno is known on the west coast as being the stingiest dyno bar none. You can pick up 10% on a different dyno. You're pretty much looking at over 450awhp on any other Dynojet.

Hopefully we can get some video next time, I'ma let Dave borrow my QTPs if traction becomes a problem as well as my camera mount so we can get some in car video. People were almost as embarrassed as much as the night when he came out on the little 14b dropping mid 11s all night long and then drove his car 150miles home LOL.

I'll let him speak on his mods, but its very minimal, less than most.

Thanks everyone. Anytime I can race and drive the car home is a good day!
Yes the Mustang dyno reads around 14% lower than a Dynojet, but the Mustang dyno is generally more consistent and repeatable, which makes it a great tool for tuning. I think I did over 20 pulls on the dyno when I was tuning it, and it was easy to see changes I made to the tune show up in the dyno chart.

There was a guy taking vids at the track, I hope to see it in a couple days.

The mods in my profile are still from when I ran the 14b. I'll update it, but it changes frequently. Here's my current mods:
fully ported EVO3 16G
ported 2G exhaust manifold
custom tubular O2 housing with external dump, 2.5" to 2.7" diameter, (I built it)
full 3" exhaust with twin tip
3" inlet
ETS 3.5x12x31 fmic with 2.5"inlet and 3" outlet
crushed 1G BOV
Ported NT TB
EVO 3/RVR intake manifold
ported 2G head with FP2 cams, Kiggly Beehive springs and Supertech valves
Mitsu MLS headgasket, ARP headstuds
Wiseco 9.0 pistons, Eagle rods
Walbro 255HP pump, stock hardlines, -6AN lines from pump to hardline and hardline to rail, high flow filter
FIC 1450 injectors @ 43psi
E85
EPROM ECU running Jackal speed density with many custom additions, tuned via TunerPro RT through an Ostrich, tuned by me.
BFG drag radials 225/50x15 on Rota Slipstream
PTT twin disc clutch
fully built trans with EVO3 gearset and 4 spider center diff
Koni Yellow with custom coilovers
I think that's everything.
The car currently weighs around 2750 without me.

Wow...congrats again. Very impressive for basically following the "staged upgrade path" LOL. I wish you luck on your 14b quest with the vr4.

Congrats Dave! I'll put it out there that you'll run 10's on the next outing! We had a 10.9 Evo III car at the shootout today, fastest car in the DST but got tree'd and caught sleeping and lost to a slower car.

I love how seemingly keeping it simple works better then alot of the "crazy" setups we see. Keep up the good work and the updates!

Very impressive! That's alot of MPH. BUT, why did you granny shift? :D Awesome stuff Dave....I can say that I'm not too surprised to see such a strong run out of you and the talon with EVO3. Keep up the awesome R & D:thumb:

Dave,

GREAT JOB out there on Friday it was both a BLAST to be there with everyone having some fun and also to see your car do so well :)

I have a great vid of your pass that i will post up for you tonight.

It was a very smooth pass and def there is a 10 in it just in shifting!

I was really hoping you'd take another stab at it before we packed it up for the night though LOL :pray:

What a great set-up for such a mild mannered looking DSM. :hellyeah:

Here you go Dave:

YouTube - Dave Womer "pneumo" 1G DSM Eagle Talon / Evo 3 16G / E85

Thanks for the vid, Pat! It's like I fell asleep between each gear.
BWAAAAAAA, yawn, BWAAAAA!!!!, yawn, BWAA!A!A!A!A!, yawn, BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa.......... 'dayumm' LOL

Nice runs pneumo!!!:rocks: you inspired me to push the 14b on my new motor to see what it will do and its a pretty stong engine, but i dont have the patience you do to get into the 11's, LOL ,.... i just swapped my 14b for a E3-16g too... i only went to the track once this year with my 14b ... i was fighting 2nd gear the whole day and only really got one decent pass of a 12.64@ 107 , probably could have gotten alot better with a good drivetrain and better tunning. I really wanted to push the limits of the 14b but i just didnt have time to go to the track enough this year... so i said screw it and threw the 16g on... still waiting on a couple parts to come in the mail then its back to the track to see how it does.....deffinetly hoping for atleast a high 11 sec pass before my tranny blows LOL

Thanks for the vid, Pat! It's like I fell asleep between each gear.
BWAAAAAAA, yawn, BWAAAAA!!!!, yawn, BWAA!A!A!A!A!, yawn, BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa.......... 'dayumm' LOL

Thiss ^^^ ladies and gents, is why Dave is so badass LOL... Hilarious guy. ROFL:thumb:

Nice runs pneumo!!!:rocks: you inspired me to push the 14b on my new motor to see what it will do and its a pretty stong engine, but i dont have the patience you do to get into the 11's, LOL ,.... i just swapped my 14b for a E3-16g too... i only went to the track once this year with my 14b ... i was fighting 2nd gear the whole day and only really got one decent pass of a 12.64@ 107 , probably could have gotten alot better with a good drivetrain and better tunning. I really wanted to push the limits of the 14b but i just didnt have time to go to the track enough this year... so i said screw it and threw the 16g on... still waiting on a couple parts to come in the mail then its back to the track to see how it does.....deffinetly hoping for atleast a high 11 sec pass before my tranny blows LOL

Patience.. hell with the 16g as mentioned, this was his FIRST TIME out with it.. He didn't have the patience to keep on with his GT35, I'm sure he'll be bored with the 16g soon too LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back