Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Cylinder Head & Short Block: 4G63 cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, 6-bolt swaps, hybrids, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 341
Photos: 73
Classifieds Rating: 1

To pull of not to pull? that is a desicion

I am pulling my trans in a few days once my new one arrives but i want to do the balance shafts as well and maybe baffle the sump but i am wondering since im pulling the trans how much harder is it to just take the engine out with the trans still attached. and re-install that way as well. may make the whole job easier huh?

Thank you,

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 9,185
Photos: 17
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 15
Send a message via Yahoo to iugrad92turbo
With it harder if you ask me but everyone has there own idea so it will fall on you, trans more weight, no trans less weight less work. Pull trans off and pull the block off i never pulled mine with trans on and ive pulled them too many times lol.

Ecmlink

Sd on e 85 soon
Visit iugrad92turbo's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,931
Classifieds Rating: 10
Reputation: Tyeler18 is pretty helpful and trustworthyTyeler18 is pretty helpful and trustworthy
I don't mind doing it that way, in all honesty if you're doing all of that then I'd highly suggest pulling the engine with the tranny. If you were just doing a tranny then I'd say leave it in though.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Car: 1G Awd
Tech Posts: 2,156
Photos: 9
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 29
Reputation: MY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthyMY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthyMY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Pull it all, you will thank yourself later... .

Remote Tuning, Ecu Flashing and Custom Chip Services
MY1GDSM@Tuningservices.net
Visit MY1GDSM's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-24-2012, 04:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1991 3000GT VR-4
Tech Posts: 3,077
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1GDSM View Post
Pull it all, you will thank yourself later... .
+1 If you just pull the trans, then you have to get it back in and lined up which can be a huge pain. Then you still have to eliminate the balance shafts which is also a huge pain with the motor in the car. It may be more work to pul it all, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Car: 1G Awd
Tech Posts: 2,156
Photos: 9
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 29
Reputation: MY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthyMY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthyMY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthy
This ^

In this case the little bit of more work will actually save you a lot more trouble trying to do a lot of things.

With the trans and motor siting in front of you on the ground if you have an issues with say your clutch fork not being centered it will only take a min to pull it back off and address any issues... .

Also, as said above pulling your front case with the motor in. Your going to have all sorts of clearance issues... .

Remote Tuning, Ecu Flashing and Custom Chip Services
MY1GDSM@Tuningservices.net
Visit MY1GDSM's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,584
Classifieds Rating: 12
Reputation: bastarddsm is extremely helpful and trustworthybastarddsm is extremely helpful and trustworthybastarddsm is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to bastarddsm
yep, both guys are right. Pull it all!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 730
Definitely pull it all! i've pulled just the transmission before on a 4cylinder and it is a bitch to get it back up into place, lined up, slid in, etc etc. That also helped me with getting a scar just under my eye, didn't have a transmission jack so i just chested it up into place, slid under and was lining it up, ended up falling loose and coming right down on my face.

It goes so much easier if you just pull it all, I did a motor swap keeping my trans off the old motor, from pulling into the garage, pulling the motor, replacing and being able to drive out it took me less then 8 hours. I think it was nearer to 6, i was the only one throwin a wrench and took a couple quick breaks for food and whatnot.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 9,185
Photos: 17
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 15
Send a message via Yahoo to iugrad92turbo
I get a hand with the install of my trans takes a bit but it works, i dont like banging up my body when it goes back in. But im in no rush the job takes a while for me while i get it all lined up and to my specs anyway. So get to pulling.

Ecmlink

Sd on e 85 soon
Visit iugrad92turbo's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-26-2012, 04:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 108
Classifieds Rating: 18
Engine/trans together in one shot in your case.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 468
Classifieds Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to DSM Jeff
Only time I pull or install both engine and trans together is an auto. 1g's and 2g's I just hang over the fender and lift the trans up and on. If you decide to pull them together you'll want to have a load leveler so you can pull it up on an angle and not hit the body.
Visit DSM Jeff's homepage! 

Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 341
Photos: 73
ok so im pulling it all as i am redoin the timing and doing the bshaft delete finaly! plus i just want to do an overall cleaning and inspection and stuff. I am also doing a minor wire tuck. the clutch and cable and all should be here tomorow along with the trans its self. I bouht a brand new oem oil pump that has the Stuffby shaft installed alerady. so ijust need to swap and spin those bearings. I have seen a really good youtube video of the whole job and it did look easy with the load leverer. Harbor Freight has one for around 50 ill be picking that up today. Thanks for all the responses!!!