Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Cylinder Head & Short Block: 4G63 cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, 6-bolt swaps, hybrids, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 07:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 86
Classifieds Rating: 0

Cam degree-in degreeing-in degreeing

puff

Last edited by treebonker; 09-23-2009 at 06:37 AM.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 5,435
Photos: 68
Classifieds Rating: 5
fantastic, this needs to be submitted as a tech article in the engine section ASAP. If it at all possible, finding links for people interested to buy the products you mention would be awesome (I noticed the summit pinwheel).

Old 11-30-2008, 10:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 556
Photos: 3
Great write up. I had to degree my cam(sohc) but i didnt have the ati balancer. I had some 14mmx1.25 threaded rod, nuts and the supplied adapters with the moroso degree wheel and this is what i cam up with
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Degree wheel.jpg
Views:	2478
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	89806  

Name:	Degree wheel1.jpg
Views:	2530
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	89807  

Name:	Degree wheel2.jpg
Views:	2522
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	89808  

View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-14-2008, 09:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 5,435
Photos: 68
Was this submitted to the tech articles? I didn't see it.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 173
Classifieds Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMTriad View Post
I like seeing this kind of info but I'm new to this stuff.

1)When is it necessary to degree your cams?

2)What's the benefits of doing this? Or is it just necessary to do with aftermarket cams?
Why was this left out?

1. Introduction

Talk to any cam grinder, engine builder, or racer and you’ll find overwhelming agreement that “degreeing-in” a camshaft is a vital step along the route to optimum engine performance. At first that may seem strange because “degreeing-in” a cam pertains to checking the accuracy with which it was manufactured.

The purpose of degreeing a cam is to insure that the cam is phased correctly with the crankshaft, per the cam manufacturers’ specifications. You’re insuring that valve opening and closing events are in accordance with specifications, regardless of the cause. Actual valve opening and closing events are influenced not only by accuracy with which a cam was ground, but also keyway position in the crankshaft, crank timing sprocket, dowel pin hole position in the cam sprocket, and accumulation of machine tolerance also play a major role.

It is the exception, rather than the rule, that a cam may be out of phase, but this should be established to insure an accurate performance baseline or point of tune. There are however 4G63 Eclipse cam manufacturers that make it a rule rather than the exception. But nobody cares as long as it's cheap and you got that cool lump-lumpity-lump idle.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,368
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 7
Awesome write up, mind if I print this out to have in the garage when I assemble my motor?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 122
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 3
I finally got enough post to reply to this. Thanks for taking the time to write all this down. I enjoyed reading this. But I have a few questions. Will dialing in have any effect on stock camshafts? Also, do you think it is possible to do this procedure with the engine in the car?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 5,285
Classifieds Rating: 21
Reputation: turboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Very nice write up... Now cut and paste the pertanant info to a tech article...meanwhile i'm saving the webpage to my hard drive
Visit turboglenn's homepage! 

Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.748 @ 94.070
Tech Posts: 616
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 16
Send a message via AIM to fulanititoo8198 Send a message via Yahoo to fulanititoo8198
Nice, Thanks! I've always wanted to know how to do this.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 5,877
Photos: 11
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 51
Send a message via AIM to Calan Send a message via Yahoo to Calan
This is excellent info.

Why doesn't anyone sell a kit with 2 solid lifters, or something pre-assembled to do this with? I think an enterprising individual should add some DSM-specific parts to that generic degreeing kit and make some $$$

Until then, does anybody have links to some decent inexpensive kits (that you have experience with) ?

Last edited by Calan; 06-16-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Mazda RX-8 GT
Tech Posts: 909
Classifieds Rating: 9
Send a message via AIM to Grimis Send a message via MSN to Grimis
nice guide, but looks like its easy to do with the engine out, how would you go about this with the engine in??

im looking to get cams, and have a shop that will do them, might print this out.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,925
Photos: 23
Reputation: No_Skillz is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toNo_Skillz is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toNo_Skillz is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toNo_Skillz is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Why is it so important to adjust lifters to zero lash? Is it to ensure that the entire valve assembly moves up an down exactly with the cam? If this is the case, why worry about adding just the right number of shims? Why not just add a bunch of shims to ensure that the lifter is constantly pressing against the cam lobe?

And finally, where can I find instructions on removing/installing springs and retainers? (Interest for both that light feeling spring and for future upgrades on springs)

Fantastic write up. Haven't come across a post of this caliber in a while.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: No_Skillz is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toNo_Skillz is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toNo_Skillz is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toNo_Skillz is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
When you remove the inner spring and shim it, are you preventing the lifter from compressing at all? If so, how do you turn the motor (where the cam lobe ramps up)?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 948
Classifieds Rating: 22
Reputation: tsunari is extremely helpful and trustworthytsunari is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via ICQ to tsunari Send a message via AIM to tsunari
Same as before, except now the opening of the valve will follow the cam profile precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Skillz View Post
When you remove the inner spring and shim it, are you preventing the lifter from compressing at all? If so, how do you turn the motor (where the cam lobe ramps up)?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ok I think I've been thinking about this the wrong way...

So the purpose is to make sure the lifter is totally secure, so that the rocker has a solid point to pivot against and the springs/retainers/valves move 100% with the lobe?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Skillz View Post
So the purpose is to make sure the lifter is totally secure, so that the rocker has a solid point to pivot against and the springs/retainers/valves move 100% with the lobe?
Exactly....Can't think of a better way of putting it.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Are there any negative effects of running a modified lifter like this? Don't they need to be compressed for oil to flow/splash on the head internals?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

You don't want to run them... just use a couple while degreeing the cams, and then put your stock (3g ) lifters back in.

I don't have the links handy, but there are several threads floating around here that talk about the negative effects (or at least the lack of any benefit) of running solid lifters in our motors.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,236
Photos: 25
Classifieds Rating: 20
I'm not sure what happened to the original post, but here it is for reference:
4G63 Camshaft Degreeing

Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 813
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 7
Send a message via AIM to airmail96 Send a message via MSN to airmail96 Send a message via Yahoo to airmail96 Send a message via Skype™ to airmail96
Thank you for the updated link.

93 Eagle Talon TSi