Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Cylinder Head & Short Block: 4G63 cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, 6-bolt swaps, hybrids, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004, 07:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 349
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via ICQ to 1stGENracer Send a message via AIM to 1stGENracer Send a message via MSN to 1stGENracer Send a message via Yahoo to 1stGENracer

Valve, and valve seat cleaning.

Ok, I'm replacing my valve seals right now, and the head is off the block.

I wanted to clean up the valves and the valve seats a little, they aren't to bad, but they are dirty.

What do you guys suggest doing? I don't really want to take it into a shop right now as I am low on $ because I lost my job.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Visit 1stGENracer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 711
Send a message via Yahoo to NOSNUSE
I would just dip them in pats cleaner for a couple of hrs., you can get it at just about any auto parts store, should be around $20, then wipe them down and possibly take and buff them with a dremel tool or drill just use a low speed.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 277
Classifieds Rating: 1
sorry to bring back an old thread but didn't think i should start a new one. I have a new head that has a lot of carbon build up on the valve that I want to get rid of. I don't want to take the head apart so any body got any other ideas? what I was planning on doing is getting some seafoam making sure the valves are closed and just pouring it in the combustion chamber and letting it soak then taking some sort of brush (maybe on my dremel) and taking the rest of that way.

does that sound like a good plan or does anyone have a better way to go about it.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 58
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via AIM to rshissler
Oven cleaner... not joking. I put them on a peice of wood, spray them down with oven cleaner and let them sit over night. I then use a angle die grinder with a scotch brite pad bit and clean them up night a purdy. I've done this to 3 heads now and never had a problem.

sorry after posting this i seen you dont wanna remove the valve. the seafoam might work but it wont "eat" the carbon off. You'd need to find something thats hard enough to scrap the crabon off but soft enough not to hurt the alumin. head

Old 12-19-2010, 09:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

well i went ahead and took the valves out. I have yet to try the oven cleaner but i heard somewhere on here that pb blaster works. I let it sit overnight but it didnt seem to work that well.

here's what one of them looks like after sitting over night. is this to far gone? or can it be saved. oh yeah thats the exhaust too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00028-20101219-0325.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	116387  

Old 12-19-2010, 09:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,588
Classifieds Rating: 12
Reputation: bastarddsm is extremely helpful and trustworthybastarddsm is extremely helpful and trustworthybastarddsm is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to bastarddsm
Amigo, That is baad. Just get a benchgrinder with a wire wheel on it. Wear saftey glasses.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 366
Photos: 20
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to Redwidow Send a message via Skype™ to Redwidow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastarddsm View Post
Amigo, That is baad. Just get a benchgrinder with a wire wheel on it. Wear saftey glasses.
+1. This is how I cleaned mine when I rebuilt the head. Then just get some valve lapping compound and relap the valves to the seats.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 1,994
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 35
Reputation: VETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthyVETTE_50_TH is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to VETTE_50_TH
REpalce them. I have a good set of stock valves if you want to buy them from me. CHEAP!
View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-19-2010, 11:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 711
Send a message via Yahoo to NOSNUSE
Yeah just buy some new ones, or even a good set of used ones. That thing looks like it has been hit with bbs or something...

Old 12-19-2010, 02:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Well I don't have a bench grinder but I do have a dremel so ill just use that. I wish I could afford to buy some new valves or even used but money is really tight. Oh and that's just carbon on the exhaust valve. The intakes are nothing like that. ill keep you guys posted

Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

well guys the PB blaster didn't work so I decided to try sanding it off. I used my dremel sanding roller till I got the majority off then I hit it with a 220 finishing buffing pad and ended with a 320 grit. I ended up with what you see and I've only done one so far. Just wanted to get opinions if I did something I shouldn't have. There are no rough edges and everything is pretty smooth. I've never worked on the head before so I don't know what to look for. If I did good ill finish the other ones this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00038-20101220-1958.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	116413  

Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

I sale snails 

Tech Posts: 1,857
Photos: 5
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 84
Send a message via MSN to pj91gsx
soak them in purple power. it will eat threw rust strong stuff.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Ill give that a try since I have some at home but I honestly don't think anything short of Grinding it off will work.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Tech Posts: 5,251
Classifieds Rating: 17
Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
glass bead them....

Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

If I had the resources to glass bead trust me I would but I Just a lonely ol backyard wrench lol I went ahead and did the sanding process and the lapped them. Only two of the exhaust valves didn't seat good. So I might just replace those.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 573
Classifieds Rating: 11
4G63 stainless valves, stock size H/P Eclipse & Turbo - eBay (item 380299400662 end time Dec-24-10 16:20:41 PST)

With all the time you've put into them, $110 doesn't seem too bad.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Not really , I only spent about 2 hours cleaning them. that's intake and exhaust and lapping them. So I think my time was well spent. Besides I wouldve just been playing halo reach lol.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 238
Classifieds Rating: 4
Are venereal warts on valves contageous?
View photos of this member's car