Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Bolt-on Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Bolt-on Tech: 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 39
Classifieds Rating: 0

1 wire alternator

I have a friend who I do all the work on his Gsx wanting me to put a gm 1 wire alternator in this thing so it will put out more amps than the stock alt. for his system.Has anyone ever tried to install a 1 wire gm alternator in a 2g?If so what needs to be done here for it to work properly?
Thanks... Al

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 5,285
Classifieds Rating: 21
Reputation: turboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toturboglenn is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
If it's not a track car mainly i wouldn't attempt it. Maybe others will say different, but i see it screwing with the stock electrical system, mainly gauges and dummy lights. Plus, you'd have to get it set up for the mitsu belt and then build a mount for it and have the right offset while keeping it parallel with all the other pulleys. Probably something that would have to be made on a motor used for mock ups, that is out of the car. But i could be wrong. I say for liability reasons alone, DON'T DO IT!

Last edited by Defiant; 12-23-2007 at 06:58 AM. Reason: If you don't stop with the "teh"s, someone will kill you.
Visit turboglenn's homepage! 

Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 210
Classifieds Rating: 2
I'd 2nd staying with the stock one.

The wiring on the GM 1 wire would be simple....straight to the battery. However, like was just mentioned, getting the correct pulley, the right alignment, and the right bracket setup would be a BIG pain. Trust me, I've done several custom belt driven accessories on other vehicles and they are a PITA!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:35 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 642
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 23
Send a message via AIM to 2gAWDTalon
There is thread on DSMLink forums right now for putting the GM/saturn 1.9 DOHC Alternator in. Guys are having great improvments with it and it almost bolts it. There is a little grinding and a rewire... other than that it swaps right in. It is a better alternator and it is cheaper. These guys are doing this on street cars.
I dont know about a one wire but maybe he wants to change that to a 2 wire GM alternator :P
View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-24-2007, 08:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 131
If I remember correctly, the GM 1-wire is externally regulated, and our alternator is internally regulated. It would require alot of work to get it to fit and function.

If you're only looking for more output, you can have the stock rebuilt by Alterstart. It's a company out of Texas. I used their 135amp alternator on my previous 2G and it performed flawlessly.

(Alterstart Systems Inc - ) Alterstart Dallas Texas

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-24-2007, 09:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 263
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via MSN to bpestilence
A 1-wire alternator is simple. I have swapped them into Chevies on several occasions. They are 1-wire... That means that they are internally regulated and internally excited. The only difference between that and the OEM DSM alternator is that you will not have to use the external excitation wire.

The thing is... 1-wire alternators have the same output as 2-wire alternators. For the sake of simplicity you might as well just use the Saturn alternator that people have already pioneered the use of.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 642
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 23
Send a message via AIM to 2gAWDTalon
And the Saturn Alternator bolts on without buying anything other then may some stuff to connect the wires. I would link you to it, but link forums is private. I think the OP may have posted it on talk also.
The upgraded OEM ones are good, but not great if you have some serious draw. Guy are having issues with even the 135+ amp units dropping volts to the fuel pumps at high boost/rpm.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gAWDTalon View Post
And the Saturn Alternator bolts on without buying anything other then may some stuff to connect the wires. I would link you to it, but link forums is private. I think the OP may have posted it on talk also.
The upgraded OEM ones are good, but not great if you have some serious draw. Guy are having issues with even the 135+ amp units dropping volts to the fuel pumps at high boost/rpm.
I saw the article about the Saturn alt. on dsmtalk that you are talking about and ask about the 2g wiring but haven't gotten any answers yet.Does anyone know how the rewire for a 2g is done?I think it would be better than the 1 wire!Is there any way that you could copy and paste the article here?
Thanks...Al

Old 12-24-2007, 01:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 210
This would be a great addition to the VFAQ or tech articles on here. So please, whoever does this saturn swap, do a writeup with pics for the rest of us.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,039
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 13
Send a message via AIM to project_tsi
Jay Racing is also working on a fitment and/or relocation kit for the saturn alt.

93 GSX
05 Ram 1500
06 GSX-R750

Old 12-24-2007, 02:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 846
Photos: 27
Reputation: tenn-gsx is pretty helpful and trustworthytenn-gsx is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to tenn-gsx Send a message via Yahoo to tenn-gsx
The relocation kit is done. They are in the process of getting it to some people for real world testing. Looks like a winner so far.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

If I can figure the wiring for the 2g I'll do a tech article for the 2g,but there is already 1 for a 1g in the tech articles!