The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1 wire alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al 389

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2004
Williamston, South_Carolina
I have a friend who I do all the work on his Gsx wanting me to put a gm 1 wire alternator in this thing so it will put out more amps than the stock alt. for his system.Has anyone ever tried to install a 1 wire gm alternator in a 2g?If so what needs to be done here for it to work properly?:confused:
Thanks... Al

If it's not a track car mainly i wouldn't attempt it. Maybe others will say different, but i see it screwing with the stock electrical system, mainly gauges and dummy lights. Plus, you'd have to get it set up for the mitsu belt and then build a mount for it and have the right offset while keeping it parallel with all the other pulleys. Probably something that would have to be made on a motor used for mock ups, that is out of the car. But i could be wrong. I say for liability reasons alone, DON'T DO IT!

I'd 2nd staying with the stock one.

The wiring on the GM 1 wire would be simple....straight to the battery. However, like was just mentioned, getting the correct pulley, the right alignment, and the right bracket setup would be a BIG pain. Trust me, I've done several custom belt driven accessories on other vehicles and they are a PITA!

There is thread on DSMLink forums right now for putting the GM/saturn 1.9 DOHC Alternator in. Guys are having great improvments with it and it almost bolts it. There is a little grinding and a rewire... other than that it swaps right in. It is a better alternator and it is cheaper. These guys are doing this on street cars.
I dont know about a one wire but maybe he wants to change that to a 2 wire GM alternator :p

If I remember correctly, the GM 1-wire is externally regulated, and our alternator is internally regulated. It would require alot of work to get it to fit and function.

If you're only looking for more output, you can have the stock rebuilt by Alterstart. It's a company out of Texas. I used their 135amp alternator on my previous 2G and it performed flawlessly.

(Alterstart Systems Inc - ) Alterstart Dallas Texas

A 1-wire alternator is simple. I have swapped them into Chevies on several occasions. They are 1-wire... That means that they are internally regulated and internally excited. The only difference between that and the OEM DSM alternator is that you will not have to use the external excitation wire.

The thing is... 1-wire alternators have the same output as 2-wire alternators. For the sake of simplicity you might as well just use the Saturn alternator that people have already pioneered the use of.

And the Saturn Alternator bolts on without buying anything other then may some stuff to connect the wires. I would link you to it, but link forums is private. I think the OP may have posted it on talk also.
The upgraded OEM ones are good, but not great if you have some serious draw. Guy are having issues with even the 135+ amp units dropping volts to the fuel pumps at high boost/rpm.

And the Saturn Alternator bolts on without buying anything other then may some stuff to connect the wires. I would link you to it, but link forums is private. I think the OP may have posted it on talk also.
The upgraded OEM ones are good, but not great if you have some serious draw. Guy are having issues with even the 135+ amp units dropping volts to the fuel pumps at high boost/rpm.

I saw the article about the Saturn alt. on dsmtalk that you are talking about and ask about the 2g wiring but haven't gotten any answers yet.Does anyone know how the rewire for a 2g is done?I think it would be better than the 1 wire!Is there any way that you could copy and paste the article here?
Thanks...Al

This would be a great addition to the VFAQ or tech articles on here. So please, whoever does this saturn swap, do a writeup with pics for the rest of us.:)

If I can figure the wiring for the 2g I'll do a tech article for the 2g,but there is already 1 for a 1g in the tech articles!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back