The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

HighPSi's Shiftronic

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SloColt

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2004
port royal, Virginia
I started this thread because I wanted to give EagleTalonTim his own space in his original thread to cut out some of the clutter in case anyone had questions in regard to HighPsi's shifter setup.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok, so here is the shifter. Easy installation almost anyone can do. The shifter plate is swirl polished and clearcoated, the pic there doesn't do the plate justice. It also has 4 LEDs installed which the pic also doesn't show. It was wired into the AEM through some very nifty wiring that only HighPsi could elaborate on though I don't think he will. I did the fab work, he did the electronics.

Does it shift as hard as the Manual type controllers?

To answer the questions.. 1slocolt helped a lot with the fabrication of making things fit up properly. In the end it was more of a tedious job than difficult. The shifter is a Hyundai shiftronic assembly from a junkyard, retrofitted into the 1G console. In place of the stock shifter plate we have the custom shift gate that 1slocolt made, which I added 4 LEDs to, to mark park, neutral, reverse, and drive. A different color LED lights up for it's coresponding gear, when the shfter is in that gear. The knob is actually from a 89ish corolla, and yes the button for the shift lock on it works, I used various pieces from the junkyard to make all those parts work together properly. As far as the setup goes, I have the power/eco switch set up to switch between AEM EMS control and the shiftronic. There is no TCU, just some circuitry to control the solenoids as commanded directly by the shiftronic up and down. I have mine set up such that back shifts up and forward shifts down. This is economy mode. Power mode is my "drag mode" in which the EMS takes over and shifts the car for me. I haven't really fine tuned the gear map yet, my main usage for this mode was to use for racing consistancy. I have the WOT shift table set up to shift by RPM so that I can be consistant from pass to pass and not have to worry about manual shifting, I can program it all. Also, it shifts at full line pressure just like all the other controllers.

I still have a lot of testing to do with the AEM stuff but it looks like it's going to work decent.

I do not plan to sell this setup.. as it was a big pain to make.. I could do it again much quicker and easier i'm sure.. just don't want to deal with it right now.

Right now I am waiting for more trans fluid to arrive since I had an incident with a leaky axle seal.. when my fluid comes in and it stops raining I might try and get a video. As soon as I have time, I may add the vid and more pictures/info to my website (the one in my profile).

To answer the questions.. 1slocolt helped a lot with the fabrication of making things fit up properly. In the end it was more of a tedious job than difficult. The shifter is a Hyundai shiftronic assembly from a junkyard, retrofitted into the 1G console. In place of the stock shifter plate we have the custom shift gate that 1slocolt made, which I added 4 LEDs to, to mark park, neutral, reverse, and drive. A different color LED lights up for it's coresponding gear, when the shfter is in that gear. The knob is actually from a 89ish corolla, and yes the button for the shift lock on it works, I used various pieces from the junkyard to make all those parts work together properly. As far as the setup goes, I have the power/eco switch set up to switch between AEM EMS control and the shiftronic. There is no TCU, just some circuitry to control the solenoids as commanded directly by the shiftronic up and down. I have mine set up such that back shifts up and forward shifts down. This is economy mode. Power mode is my "drag mode" in which the EMS takes over and shifts the car for me. I haven't really fine tuned the gear map yet, my main usage for this mode was to use for racing consistancy. I have the WOT shift table set up to shift by RPM so that I can be consistant from pass to pass and not have to worry about manual shifting, I can program it all. Also, it shifts at full line pressure just like all the other controllers.

I still have a lot of testing to do with the AEM stuff but it looks like it's going to work decent.

I do not plan to sell this setup.. as it was a big pain to make.. I could do it again much quicker and easier i'm sure.. just don't want to deal with it right now.

Right now I am waiting for more trans fluid to arrive since I had an incident with a leaky axle seal.. when my fluid comes in and it stops raining I might try and get a video. As soon as I have time, I may add the vid and more pictures/info to my website (the one in my profile).

So how did you get AEM to control you shifts? I know the option is avalible, I could just never firgure out how to get it to work with the DSM auto.

Just from the pics, I'd have liked to have seen a thicker (¼" or so) plate.

yeah a thicker plate would have looked a little better.. but what is there is what I had laying around at the time to use.

So how did you get AEM to control you shifts? I know the option is avalible, I could just never firgure out how to get it to work with the DSM auto.

It works, just set it up same as any other trans. It does require a little bit of extra circuitry, and manual mode does not work through it.. I haven't figured out how to do line pressure yet, but after experiencing full line pressure I've decided it's not bad at all and I really don't have any reason to continue figuring it out, I'll just use full line pressure all the time, I kinda like it that way. The basics will work if you wire them up right. L and 2 will NOT work, however I could come up with an adapter box to make it work. Hell I could even make a nearly "plug and play" interface box for your AEM to control the trans with, if there is interest.

Agree'd I would have figured the shift solenoids would have cooked the drivers in the AEM, they run alot of current do they not? Figured running the solenoids through relays would be too slow as well.

I run an AEM EMS, and am in the process of converting my 5spd car to an auto. I doubt I'll bother with setting up the EMS to run the auto. I'm just planning on doing a manumatic shift type box to control shifts even just for daily driving. However I was planning on hooking up a shifter to control rather than pushbuttons, I really like your shifter Idea the best. Perfect setup! Puts it right in to D and then from there bounce over and run through the gears.
:thumb:

Nice work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back