Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Tech Article Archives > Articles: Exterior/Interior
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 05:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,627
Classifieds Rating: 4

Door Handle Not Opening

Just installed new door handles for your 2g. What! Now you can't open the door BUT the handles are not broken.
Will your problem lies within the Door Handle Lever that pushes down on the Lower Lever when the door is pulled to open from outside. This will be located behind your door handle and follow that little lever to the assembly housed by white plastic.

You will need:
Patients- for it is a hard to reach place
Small hand- if you have one
Good music
Choice of beer or cigarette
Phillip screw driver- taking off door interior
1 heavy duty cotter pin- insert through hole
Needle nose pliers- use to hold cotter pin to place it through hole
Flash light- maybe
Good eyes to read my crappy painting

This is for the driver door. Passenger door is the same. Instead of looking left you will look right into the door.
I assume you already know how to take the door interior apart and the plastic screen with black glue WHICH IS VERY EASY.
When you get to the driver door and take apart the plastic screen look inside to the left you will see the parts you will be working with. It is very tight so camera shots are kind of useless. For that I resided to old school elementary skills.

Example #1. It shows the door at resting position and mechanisms associated with it.

Example #2. Shows how the mechanisms should work on a proper working door. When you pull the handle the Door Handle Lever will push down on the Lower Lever allowing you to open the door.

Example#3. Shows you what happens when there is slack from pushing the Door Handle Lever down to open the door, you can't because nothing is pushing the Lower Lever to open.

Example #4 Make sure you use the heavy duty cotter pins that are used for axle nuts and ball joints. You will be opening the door forever. How many times you use your door handle in 1 month, get my point.

Example #5. It is very very tight for hands to get the pin into the hole described. You will need a needle nose pliers to hold the cotter pin while you insert it to the hole.

Example #6 You will need to bend the cotter pin from coming loose. First use the needle nose pliers in close position to bend it so it stays in place, if you use your hands you RISK dropping that pin and there is close to no way of getting it out. Then stick your hands in there to bend it after you secure it with the pliers. Be sure to test out the door handle to make sure you got rid of the slack which is PREVENTING you to open the door.

After you are done you WILL NOTICE the door opening way way easier. You can barely move the handle and it would open. I rate this job as a 3/10. As easy as changing spark plugs, just a little harder then changing oil. If you have any questions please feel free to pm if I wasn't clear on some parts- assuming if I'm still a member on this site. Have fun and good luck. Don't make it seem harder then it is. It is very easy!

If I ever have the door off again I will take a vid shot of how it looks and post it along this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door example 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	116876  

Name:	door example 2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	116877  

Name:	door example 3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	116878  

Name:	door example 4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	116879  

Name:	door example 5.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	116880  

Name:	door example 6.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	116881  

Last edited by my dreamt dsm; 01-04-2011 at 02:46 PM.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote