The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Water on my floor WTF!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niteninja01

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Ok it rained pretty good out here the past couple of days, I get into my car and find a big pool of water on my pass side floor. I searched the posts but noone said how to fix it. I seen someone say it was coming from there speaker cover, but how would water get into there? I took my car through the wash but I did not see any water coming in. Any help would be great thanks

Does it smell like antifreeze or just water?

If it smells like antifreeze it could be your heater core.

If it doesn't smell like antifreeze check your weatherstripping in that area. Have someone spray the passenger side with a garden hose while you sit inside and see if you can identify the leak.

never had a issue like that sure your windows were all the way up and the plastic under the door panel was still attached?

Yea, there is no water by the speaker cover, it's all towards the front of where your feet are, it's water I smelled it just to make sure

Get a hose. Since it's already wet. and run it along your windshield. I bet the seal is bad. Also run it along your sunroof and windows. When it rains really hard I get water from my sunroof leaking to my headliner and it drips out of the A-Piller onto my knee :(.

I'd check those.

Ok I'll do that asap, I don't have a sunroof, I wish I did though I'm like the only dsm that I've seen that don't have one

Ok tried the hose but no leaks, but I just rememberd that I was using the front defrost all day and night. Could that be where my water is coming from?

i had the same problem with my old 95 gsx. it turned out to be, the water drain hose in the hatch wells had a hole in i. letting water escape by running down and into the rear lower seat area. and then from there to the passenger floor(front&back) check that out! i might just be that!

Ok I'll do that tomorrow, where are the located? Do I have to take anything apart to check them?

One of my rear hatch drain line was kinked and would flood the entire trunk every time it rained. You do have to pull all the molding out of the trunk area to get to them which isn't a whole lot of fun but its prob a good place to start. And dont forget there is one on each side.

Ok I'll do that tomorrow, where are the located? Do I have to take anything apart to check them?

when you open your hatch there are two channels on the sides, those lead to two holes which are the drain holes. The one on the left also has the fill spot for the tank for the rear windshield washer fluid. The plastic molding in the back pops out and has some screws/bolts. Its a five minute job to pop it all out and get to the hoses.

My brother, same here man. We got 25" of rain in like 3 days here in Atlanta and not one drop. I know you all saw that on the news. Then yesterday we get 2" and all of it is on my passenger floor. I read something like 20 pages of where it could be coming from. Take the advice above first. I found and fixed my problem in about an hour. Here are the pictures of what he's talking about. Note the stupid hose was out of the hole. How did that randomly happen?! Anyways, if you look at the picture on the right the hose is majorly flat there too. When I was testing with a water hose afterward that side was draining super slow. I'll be changing that out tonight.

This is a two cigarette job. ie, pretty easy.

Tools Needed:
Phillips
Flat Head
14mm socket, extension, driver (if you have a strut bar, also might need an allen wrench depending on the bar itself)
Wet/Dry vac
Yard blower also helped the drying process

Pull the trunk pieces off. Start in the middle above the tailights. Then work your way to the sides. I had to remove my strut tower bar as well. Check those hoses. I then moved on to gutting the interior and removing my 6 month old custom cut carpet (damnit!) and drying it out. Don't forget to wipe all the dirt up when you are done.

Good luck man...I know it sucks!

I finished up the fix last night after everything dried out. Save yourself the hassle. Goto Home Depot and pick up a roll of 10ft. 3/4" clear reinforced tubing. It's in the plumbing section "tubing" area. $12.

Anyways, It's a little thicker outer diameter than the stock stuff. It stays put when you push it through the bottom of the floorpan and will not move. I also highly suggest the zip tie as shown.

Pictures:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

After you fix the hose problem. I would take all the carpet out and let it air dry and vacuum all the water out or let it drain through the grommets. If you dont do this it will start to stink really bad. I had the same problem as well.

Gentlemen, Yes, I am a Mitsubishi newbie. Picked up this 03 last week for 3500. 96K. Replaced the clutch this past weekend
Next weekend doing T belt and major. Noticed a lot of condensation inside windows last night. Carpet felt damp. This morning I started vacuum and picked up about a 1/2 gallon. left side floor damp front to back. Pulled up my all data account and found what I needed to begin. Found this thread and went at it. Will put up pics in order as mentioned Checked trunk area drain in my case and only 1 attached to antenna. Water has definetly pooled in spare tire well by looking at the change found there. pulled back seat and found a lil puddle and some dirt. Seat cushion a little damp. Inspected door seal and rear window seal and seem pretty new. No evidence of leaking around door seal or roof. Got under the carpet and found a lot of water. Mostly up front around pedals. The cushion under the pedals is soaked like a sponge just in the sink.. Carpet is out drying now but unsure of next move. Water hose the windshield or A/C drain. Seems like a lot of water for an a/c drain issue??? Please advise. Would really appreciate it

Gentlemen, Yes, I am a Mitsubishi newbie. Picked up this 03 last week for 3500. 96K. Replaced the clutch this past weekend
Next weekend doing T belt and major. Noticed a lot of condensation inside windows last night. Carpet felt damp. This morning I started vacuum and picked up about a 1/2 gallon. left side floor damp front to back. Pulled up my all data account and found what I needed to begin. Found this thread and went at it. Will put up pics in order as mentioned Checked trunk area drain in my case and only 1 attached to antenna. Water has definetly pooled in spare tire well by looking at the change found there. pulled back seat and found a lil puddle and some dirt. Seat cushion a little damp. Inspected door seal and rear window seal and seem pretty new. No evidence of leaking around door seal or roof. Got under the carpet and found a lot of water. Mostly up front around pedals. The cushion under the pedals is soaked like a sponge just in the sink.. Carpet is out drying now but unsure of next move. Water hose the windshield or A/C drain. Seems like a lot of water for an a/c drain issue??? Please advise. Would really appreciate it

im pretty sure your ac its self wouldnt leak that much water to make that much apere i could be wrong... if tthere isnt any signs of water above you i would aim at heaater core

It is not coolant. I am looking at the windshield seal under the cowl now. The pad under the pedals rubber/foam, is soaked like diaper. Could also be missing a plug in the firewall somewhere.

Check your latches for the convertible top. After I tightened mine down, my leaks were nearly gone. Also check for broken top around the rear window, even the slightest tear lets in a ton of water. Another area to check is where the top bends or folds. I know on 2G it's close to where the Windows meet up and mine leaks there sometimes. Good luck finding your leaks.

I think it is found for me. Just need to be sure. Without trying to like I just got off the boat, "Should I be able to see daylight through my top, anywhere?" I think I already know the answer, but what the heck. Sometimes you just have to put it out there.
YUP! It's a leaker. Right next to back window. So next question is, Is their any way to repair these tops, or better off buying a new one?

Last edited:
Did some research and a few possibilities to repair instead of replace may (if I am lucky) seal up my leaky top. Today I went and picked up some tent patches, fabric fusing agent and a high quality cleaner/conditioner for canvas, leather and vinyl. It also protects against damaging sunlight, or UV as most would call it. Found a couple spots questionable, so I am going to cover them all tomorrow. If it works, then great. Saved anywhere from 750 to 1200 dollars. If not, I am inly out 32 dollars and my time. Last thing I need for this is a high quality water sealer. Something much better than scotchguard .

Attachments

• IMAG1381.jpg
    IMAG1381.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMAG1383.jpg
    IMAG1383.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMAG1384.jpg
    IMAG1384.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 146
Worst case, just put duct tape around the edge of the window. It is a temporary fix and eventually needs replacement. I had the same thing and I asked a few shops and all of them said to replace it.

It is not coolant. I am looking at the windshield seal under the cowl now. The pad under the pedals rubber/foam, is soaked like diaper. Could also be missing a plug in the firewall somewhere.
Ok it rained pretty good out here the past couple of days, I get into my car and find a big pool of water on my pass side floor. I searched the posts but noone said how to fix it. I seen someone say it was coming from there speaker cover, but how would water get into there? I took my car through the wash but I did not see any water coming in. Any help would be great thanks

did anyone ever found the issue on the pad under the pedals being soaked in water? im having the same issue and having a hard time finding the water leak also. mine doesnt have a leaky trunk. my trunk area is dry. is just the front driver and passenger side pad foot padding that its soaked. u can see a small trail of water from under both the foot pads

@ OP I had the same issue, passenger side floor both front and rear were soaked after heavy rain. I had to do two things. Clean out my hatch drains and reseal around my spoiler with silicone. The water was rushing into my hatch through the wing and then over flowing into the cabin because the hatch drain was plugged. I cleared the drain out but it wasn’t enough to fix it I had to reseal the wing.

Last edited:
Yeah my drains are good no leaks on that n spoiler I have a wingless hatch no holes and no leaks on trunk area. It’s bone dry . Just only the front part I got a leak that’s wetting the foot rest pad on both sides n u can tell the water coming from under the pad

Attachments

• 547DFBEA-313E-4937-97C6-D8BE37107081.jpeg
    547DFBEA-313E-4937-97C6-D8BE37107081.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 112
I would take some tape and some paper. Place it up ANYWHERE you suspect a leak. It'll obviously show itself once you hit the car with water.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back