Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Appearance/Interior/Exterior
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Appearance/Interior/Exterior: All interior and exterior tech discussions; body and paint, conversions, lighting, washing, waxing, etc. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2002, 12:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to boxster02

Wheel lock key broke, broken, lost, etc. [Merged 8-6] stud nut lug key

First Things First. I have a Gst with 18" enkei rs-6 rims with the 'reverse' style lugnuts to fit the tight quarters.

Recently I took my car in to get the new brake pads put in and realized i had lost the lug nut 'key'! The company said "no problem we can still get those off". So i get the car back, everything looks decent, brakes are fine, but there are DIFFERENT lug nuts on the front 2 rims! Anyway, company wont give me a key, and now i need a lug nut key for my old lugnuts ( http://www.whalentire.com/othergraph...ugs/tuner2.jpg ), and a different key for the front lugs ( I think i has 8 points).

Any and all help on where to get these 'keys' would be Greatly appreciated.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 12:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 265
Photos: 4
Send a message via AIM to espydur
! goodluck bro...ever try drilling a wheel stud out?? it's not too much fun...
Visit espydur's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-16-2002, 06:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Cant GET my wheels off! Lug Nut Prob!

Hey guys,

Im new to the boards, but I tried to run a search for this but nothing came up. I'd appreciate any help.

The problem is:
I got my brakes changed at American Tire/Brake, some reputable company i thought. Anyway, long story short I lost my Lug nut key to my wheel lock lugnuts, they broke them off in the front in order to change the brakes, and put on different pattern lug nuts. I currently have different lug nut types on the front and the back, because of that. The backs need a 6 point hexagon key, and the other i think needs different shape hexagon key (pattern is not the same, there are still 6 points but more of a round tooth is needed, as opposed to a blunt charp angel tooth) . The tuner rims make it very hard to get off (even breaking them)....so i assume i just need to buy keys for them.... Where can i get such keys? or How can i fix the problem?

Pick of the 'blunt' cut hexagon lug http://www.whalentire.com/othergraph...ugs/tuner2.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by boxster02; 09-16-2002 at 06:49 PM.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 83
As for the keys I don't know....but if you can get at the lug, I use a chisel and just slam the #@%#@%#@%#@% out of it. It'll break.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 155
Send a message via ICQ to mrmadmax Send a message via AIM to mrmadmax
I've had this problem a few times in the past. What worked for me was this:

1) Find an impact socket that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the lock. You want a tight fit, so select the socket small enough that you have to really pound the hell out of it to make it go on.

2) Pound the impact socket onto the lock.

3) Remove the lock with an impact wrench.

Doing this will basically destroy the socket, so I used to charge the customers to replace my socket. It does, however, work very well.

Old 09-17-2002, 03:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

alright thanks guys...

so i guess i have to brake them off?

No place to buy a key?

Old 09-17-2002, 05:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 663
Snap On amd Mac tools have a loocking lung nut remover. It has a reverse trend on it .
Work really well. I kind of like an easy out that you use for brokens screws. But ut goes around the out side of the locking lug nut,

Old 10-03-2002, 12:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 3,630
Classifieds Rating: 18
Reputation: RedTurboEclipse is extremely helpful and trustworthyRedTurboEclipse is extremely helpful and trustworthyRedTurboEclipse is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Angry

Arrgh, wheel lock key broke!

i don't know how to explain it, but the wheel lock key broke. i was lossening it, then all of a sudden the lugnut key got seperated from the inside thingy of the lock. (sorry hard to explain )

How much is one of these things going to cost me and where can I get another one? thanks guys

Old 10-03-2002, 12:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 6
i believe if you take your car to a dealership they look at your lugs and will sell you a key that matches for about 25 bucks or so.
Visit smut's homepage! 

Old 10-03-2002, 12:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: RedTurboEclipse is extremely helpful and trustworthyRedTurboEclipse is extremely helpful and trustworthyRedTurboEclipse is extremely helpful and trustworthy
arrrgh.. thanks.. i still have warranty on the car.. you think i can #@%#@%#@%#@%#@% to try to get a free one?

poor college student over here.. hehe

Old 10-03-2002, 12:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 6
i dont think those are covered with your warranty. haha.

When I drove home to California this past June I forgot to bring my key. I went to a mitsu dealership and they told me to bring my car in and they said they would find a key for it. I never ended up buying one though.
Visit smut's homepage! 

Old 10-03-2002, 07:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 199
if you are talking about the "key" that comes with aftermarket rims, just go to a wheel shop and they will sell you a tool that does the same thing (and is better!) for around 7-10 bucks. when i bought my giovannas, the guy didnt give me the key, so if places didnt do that i would not have rims.

i got mine at Tire Barn, i dont know if you have those though.

jay

Old 10-03-2002, 09:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

i dont have aftermarket rims.. jus the stock 2g 98 16" chromes, came with wheel locks

Old 10-03-2002, 10:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 170
Photos: 3
Send a message via AIM to fastplant
What are you talking about, I have the same wheels and I've taken them off without any key.
Visit fastplant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-03-2002, 11:46 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

well you probably didn't have wheel locks on em..

Old 10-04-2002, 09:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 229
Photos: 5
Wheel lock keys are sh*t.

When I got my rims put on, they put on the locks, gave me the key, and I drove off. A couple days later I took the rims off to paint my calipers, and when putting them back on the key cracked. They are cheap Taiwanese garbage!!!

Now, hopefully, when I get my rims take off for winter, the tire shop can get them all off without fully breaking the key. Eithere way, I have to buy new locks. PITA.

Old 10-07-2002, 07:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 213
Photos: 2
Send a message via ICQ to laser9320 Send a message via AIM to laser9320
Friend of mine has those wheel locks and he lost the key. What we're gonna try is getting a 19mm (just a little too small to fit on) deep socket and jamming it on with a sledge hammer. Ruins the lug nut and the socket, but its cheaper than going to mitsubishi and buying a new one. Plus you get the satisfaction of hitting that #@%#@%#@%#@%#@% with a sledge hammer.:P
View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-08-2002, 12:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 225
That's exactly what happened to my friend when he lost the key to the lusg on his Ford Probe...they smashed on an oversized socket and pulled it off and then replaced that dang thing with a regular old lugnut.

You'll be out the cost of 1 to 4 sockets, ### you will mess them up, but those damn wheel locks are a pain in the butt to deal with, and as you can see, anyone with a little creativity can still get them off nice and easy....just like bypassing The Club takes nothing more than a hacksaw or a pair of fold-down bolt cutters in most cases...

Old 10-08-2002, 04:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 229
Photos: 5
A way to get off lock nuts is to take a steel punch (with a pointed end)and a hammer....put the punch on the end of the lock nut and give it a good whack. Since most are cheap sh*t...it will most likely break.

Old 09-11-2003, 03:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 477
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: pickens is pretty helpful and trustworthypickens is pretty helpful and trustworthy

Wheel locks? what if I...

What if I "happened" to lose the key to my wheel locks, and I don't have any idea about what company they are from. How can I get them off? I know....I'm a dumbass for losing the key
View photos of this member's car