The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Bell housing crack [Merged 2-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ONR

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 12, 2003
CaliforniaUS
Can i just weld this back together...with the proper welding of course or should i just suck it up and buy myself a new bell house/tranny, its about i woudl say 6" long and then has anotehr lil part about 1" off that...and is there anywhere in northern/bay area cali that i can pick one up at?....Thanks

No man just changed the bell housing, buy a core and switch over the insides. Youre going to spend the same.

thats what my dad wants to do is just weld it cuase its the bell housing and thats free oposed to buying a new tranny/bell housing...and i know my throw out bearing is shot...and my clutch is not grabbing/disengaging properly so i can work on that while thats all off...

If youre car is awd and you have alot of mods, I would change it, because the integrity is already broken. and with all that force that is going on in there i wouldnt want to risk anything else happening. but i guess you could weld it if you wanted to. And mainly its free.

the car is stock so i dont really have to worry about that yet...i plan on doing alot of stuff but for the time being i just wanted to be able to drive myself around town...and i will within a couple months when i start moding figured id buy a new tranny any ways just for fun...you konw just have it as a spare...ill have to check out that "all foreign" place out in berkely...

well i found out what that disturbing pop was when i was bolting it back on.. a wire clamp got inbetwine the motor and trans bell houseing.. it made a 2 1/2" crack down the side of it....

can this hurt anything???

:(

Chances are that it would be ok. But, to be on the safe side, you might want to have it welded.

well after talking with my dad about it im going to get it welded when i get the engine rebuilt but it poped again which at that moment i was thinking GAWH DAMN IT!!!! but it actuly went back into place and you can't see the crack anymore...

to make the long story short... blew up a motor, put on new head, and another block i had in my car... all ran fine for 3 days. Heres what happend:

on the 3rd day, the clutch started to feel like jello. So we thought it was the slave cyl, replaced it... still not working. but at the same time, there was this horrible squeeling noise, figured it was the throw out bearing. Went to replace that and realized the bell housing was cracked under the top hole on the intake side of the tranny, towards the exhaust side. Also the top hole on the exhaust side is completely broken off, on the bottom of the block on the exhaust side the ear is broken off.

Now when it was taken apart, there are not marks on the flywheel, pressure plate, disc or input shaft.

The one odd thing is that the line up pins that are in the block are now stuck in the tranny.

What would have caused this to happen? Any ideas are greatly GREATLY appreciated. Just a little background in case anyone needs to know, ACT 2100, RRE Lightened flywheel, and a new transmission. And i hope this makes sense... as to i am about to go insane....:mad:

Hey I have a 92 AWD 5-speed trans sitting around over here with a cracked bell housing (the part that bolts to the engine block) and with some huge chunks broken off it. I was wondering what year trans I could pull off another bell housing and bolt it up?? Any info would be nice. Thanks.

You should be able to use one off any 1G trans as long as they are the same IE FWD AWD. The only difference that i can for sure say is the 90 have different levers and spline count.

Michael
:laser: :talon:

Ok,

heres the problem

Recently the bolts connecting the bell housing to the block came loose..Making it hard to put into gear and it was grinding into the gears. I tigtened them up and all was fine..until yesterday, when I realized this was happening again. I looked uder the hood and car and all the bolt were tight. Then I realized that by the bolt that is closest to the bottom motor mount, the block was cracked right after the bolt and that the bell housing was shifting because of that everytime I pushed in the clutch. So a mechanic thinks that it can be welded, I need to know if this is possible. He is talking about welding the crack and then welding a plate to the motor mount w/ a 90 degree angle to the bolt and thread the bolt through the holein the plate and back into the block. This may be hard to understaand. I would like to know any input..

Allright, ever since i put in my ACT 2600 my gears would grind like crazy and never go into gear. I snooped around and realized that 2 bolts were extremely loose from my bell housing to my block I tightened them up and the problem was resolved. But it keeps on coming back. there always coming loose, bolts arent stripped or anything just like they unthread themselves. Im think there is alot of flex between the B.H. and block that is causing this. also my pedal feels real sloppy no pressure. any one have a clue? :confused:
Thanks,
-Ky

its possible that there streched. try getting some new bolts, and see if that helps. also are your torqueing those monsters???? ALSO are you sure you got all the bolts in on the bottom???????

PogiTSI said:
its possible that there streched. try getting some new bolts, and see if that helps. also are your torqueing those monsters???? ALSO are you sure you got all the bolts in on the bottom???????

Also, use some lock-tite on the threads.
Have you recently had the timing belt replaced? It sounds like you might be getting some vibration that may be causing your bolts loosening. I had a problem on a car I picked up and the rear balance shaft was 180 off and causing vibrations that the seller though was bad bearings. Its bolts were coming loose in the bellhousing from that. :rolleyes:

Steve.

I use lock tight every time and I torque them down to specifications and i just had my timing belt done 10,000 miles ago. Still dont know why, I'm gonna go out and do a lot of steps to it. Check the slave cylinder, master cylander, mess with the pedal assembly, adjust the something rod. hopefully i figure this out soon can drive it any where.LOL
thanks alot guys,
-Ky

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back