The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bell housing crack [Merged 2-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i got a new clutch installed and within a week this happened...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I already got a new tranny put in, but I have seen pics of DSM AWD trannies with the same crack in the same place before. I don't remember if I saw them here, or on another forum. Is this some sort of DSM defect? I want to prevent this from happening again to this new tranny if at all possible....

Also the tranny seemed to be a bit different than the old and I was never told the year of the tranny. The difference I noticed were just a few different bolt holes and linkage stuff, any idea what year tranny it could be?

Finally, the tranny (or something) at high speeds has a slight hum to it at high speeds. I checked all the oils and ect, and all checks out fine. The car runs and feels great besides the humming. Any idea if this is somewhat normal? I just sounds like loud spinning humming, but it only happened since the tranny swap.

thanks.

btw: this is a 91 Eclipse GSX we are talking about! :dsm:

My guess is either the person who put the tranny back on didnt tighten all the bellhousing to engine bolts all the way or forgot to put the aligning dowels back in. If that happens, there is alot more weight on the bolts especially at the top where yours broke.

As for the tranny, I doubt its different. 91-94 are all 23 spline and use the same shifter cables while 90 is 22 spline and uses its own cables. I doubt it is different because they would have had to swap transfercases also. Give us the casting numbers off both tranny's and we can tell you.

Are you sure the humming sound is comming from the transmission and not the rear end?

cant tell....it seems like the whole car almost hums.....i don't think it could be the rear b/c it was fine before the new trans......

i got a new tranfer case too w/ the trans.

Just look at that last pic you took. Study that well and the left bolt hole see how its chewed. That happens because the dowels wasn't aligned while he was cranking down the bolts to mate the 2 halves together. It may have already been stress cracked to begin with by being dropped or bad casting defect but when you work with aluminum you have just seen that it does not bend very well. Someone was trying to get the bolt into the hole looks like using either an air ratchet or 3/8 drive impact gun maybe? Shame at least you have some good internal gears inside the trans that's worth saving? Make sure nexttime all holes are aligned and rotate your bolt tightening sequence to make sure everyting is equally tight going back together. Guess you can say, Mate more slowly, no pun intended. Be in no hurry here when tightening. torque bolts per service manual specs. This sort of problem can occur on any vehicle so it's a very common error, but usually caused by rushing the job and or not paying attention to detail and sometimes poor component design/ bad part to begin with :talon:

stars said:
Just look at that last pic you took. Study that well and the left bolt hole see how its chewed. That happens because the dowels wasn't aligned while he was cranking down the bolts to mate the 2 halves together. It may have already been stress cracked to begin with by being dropped or bad casting defect but when you work with aluminum you have just seen that it does not bend very well. Someone was trying to get the bolt into the hole looks like using either an air ratchet or 3/8 drive impact gun maybe? Shame at least you have some good internal gears inside the trans that's worth saving? Make sure nexttime all holes are aligned and rotate your bolt tightening sequence to make sure everyting is equally tight going back together. Guess you can say, Mate more slowly, no pun intended. Be in no hurry here when tightening. torque bolts per service manual specs. This sort of problem can occur on any vehicle so it's a very common error, but usually caused by rushing the job and or not paying attention to detail and sometimes poor component design/ bad part to begin with :talon:
wow, sounds like someone should have bought you a new tranny... where did you get your work done, so i know where NOT to take my car...

RoasT BeeF said:
My guess is either the person who put the tranny back on didnt tighten all the bellhousing to engine bolts all the way

You're on it. I did this to myself on a 1985 Civic with my very first clutch job. Loose bolts allow the bell housing to rotate under torque load.

I have been in your shoes my friend. And it is because of the dowels like they said.

As far as I know no one makes an aftermarket bellhousing for our tranny. First you need to find out why or what is causing the holes in the tranny. If you get a stronger one and prts of the clutch are flying off they will just sit inside and kill other parts. So finding a stronger one will not always fix the problem.

Well, about a month and a half ago I blew a quarter sized hole in the bottom of my bell housing on my tranny. So we pulled the tranny and I got one from around here for $600, that had 80,000 miles on it.

Last week I was driving a little bit hard again and a very tiny, (less than 1/8 of an inch) hole blew in the bell housing again, this time on the top, and shot into my radiator causing a massive leak in the radiator.

So I took care of the radiator by buying a new performance radiator. And I patched the very tiny hole ontop of the tranny (which wasn't even leaking), with puddy that hardens like steel.

I then found 2 other small cracks on the bell housing and began to put the puddy on them just incase. So my question really here is, what can I do to get a bell housing that won't break on me? I've heard there are steel bell housings, but they weigh a lot. I guess I'm just stumped. If I were to send my tranny to shep to get rebuilt, is there anything that he might be able to do to strengthen the bell housing?

I'm pretty sure I will need a tranny rebuild soon, because I am making enough power where stock tranny's are getting eaten alive.

Anyone who can give me any insight on this, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

-Alex :talon:

Yes, I'm Luda. And ready to get fast and furious crazy style yo. ha.

Well, I guess even Luda doesn't get a crazy amount of replies. ;)

What is actually hitting(or flying out of) your bellhousing? Is it pieces of flywheel, clutch material?? I'd start with finding out whats actually breaking and sending pieces everywhere. Your best bet isn't making a stronger bellhousing, it's making the internals strong enough that they won't fly apart. And yes, I believe Shep is set up to magnaflux your gears, flywheel, etc. this will detect cracks in the gearsets so if it's bad it gets replaced before it can blow. TRE did this for mine and it's the best tranny I ever had.

Happy tuning! :thumb:
~Eric

It's not that something is hitting or flying out of the bell housing. But I have been BLOWING HOLES in the actual bell housing. The are not pieces of the flywheel or clutch material, they are the pieces of the aluminum that get blown off of the bell housing. I'm still stumped about this.

1993eclipseGS said:
I remember in my first 1g gsx, The tranny had a HUGE hole in the bellhousing, I mean.. It was so big I was able to put my hand in the there and grab the clutch.. Haha!!!!!

That is sick man! haha. Was it able to run when you got it? That is a freakin huge hole. haha.

1993eclipseGS said:
Suprisingly it did run, But would only go into second gear once in awhile if you paddled the shifter around like you were rowing a boat. I have no idea how the hole even go there.

That's so nuts. Was the car pretty much stock when the hole was made in the housing? Or did you have some mods in that beast? I'm guessing these bell housings are not very strong.

Hurleyatticus4 said:
Well, about a month and a half ago I blew a quarter sized hole in the bottom of my bell housing on my tranny. So we pulled the tranny and I got one from around here for $600, that had 80,000 miles on it.

Last week I was driving a little bit hard again and a very tiny, (less than 1/8 of an inch) hole blew in the bell housing again, this time on the top, and shot into my radiator causing a massive leak in the radiator.

So I took care of the radiator by buying a new performance radiator. And I patched the very tiny hole ontop of the tranny (which wasn't even leaking), with puddy that hardens like steel.

I then found 2 other small cracks on the bell housing and began to put the puddy on them just incase. So my question really here is, what can I do to get a bell housing that won't break on me? I've heard there are steel bell housings, but they weigh a lot. I guess I'm just stumped. If I were to send my tranny to shep to get rebuilt, is there anything that he might be able to do to strengthen the bell housing?

I'm pretty sure I will need a tranny rebuild soon, because I am making enough power where stock tranny's are getting eaten alive.

Anyone who can give me any insight on this, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

well im not exactly sure of why your bellhousing is breaking but it seems very odd that holes just are made in the tranny, yes i can understand cracking or breaking from stress but , to cause a hole i believe something has to be hitting it. you really need to look into this better, im not sure that finding a better bellhousing will fix this. but if you want to stop most pieces from hitting your radiator and other components i suggest getting a scatter shield.

well i cracked my bell housing on my tranny and i was wondering if i can take off that bell housing so i can change or do i need a new tranny. it is 91 eagle talon awd turbo will any of the front wheel drive bell housings work if i can take it off

You can swap internals into a new bellhousing, probably can find a cheap one at a junkyard.
I dont believe the front wheel drive housing will work.

FWD No/ How bad is the crack? I had a good welder fix a crack on mine.

It requires a tranny rebuild to switch bellhousings.

When you guys cracked your bell housings, what happened?

I don't quite recall the events. I believe it had a very small crack near one of the top bolts, that allowed the bolts to loosen over time and crack the housing much more.

it is a big crack and isnt it pot metal so you cant weld it or is it aluminum

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back