The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Rattling when clutch pedal is depressed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohTONYoh

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2012
yorktown, Virginia
Just replaced my speedometer drive gear and put my transmission back in and the next thing i know, while im driving i here a wrattling. It only makes the noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. Im guessing it is either the clutch or throw out bearing, or something else?
It wont let me upload a video so if anyones had experience with this id appreciate at least and idea of what it is.

If it is doing it when you push the pedal in, it probably isn't the throw out, but could be I guess if the bearings inside it were trashed. It'd make a god awful rumbling noise if that were the case though. If the pedal is in, the throw out is pushed into the fingers of the pressure plate... If you broke off a finger on the plate though, that could make some racket. If a chunk or 3 came off the disk and it is rattling around when the plate releases, that could be it too. Generally speaking though, loud rattles and noises when actuating the clutch means you need to drop the transmission and look. You can sneak a peak from the clutch fork boot hole before taking the time to take it off, just to see if you can tell what the problem is, but usually this sort of symptom means you will be pulling the transmission off.

Thanks for the reply.

And this will be the 3rd time i dropped the tranny, hopefully the last.
I have the luk clutch which is a factory clutch, but now i cant find one online. Do you have a clue where i can get one?

Okay thanks.

My dad is trying to say bleed the slave cylinder and that will stop it...

But it makes that awful rattling noise when im driving too, and when i let off the clutch it stops.

If it stops when you let off the clutch, that usually means to me that the disk, plate, or flywheel has a problem. Not always , but that has been my experience.

A throwout bearing can still be a definite possibility. It can come from either having the clutch depressed or not depressed. I had a problem similar except instead of rattling, it was a bit of a whining/vibration when depressing the clutch pedal.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/436717-whining-sound-when-clutch-disengages.html

still need to fix it LOL just haven't had the time.

A throwout bearing can still be a definite possibility. It can come from either having the clutch depressed or not depressed. I had a problem similar except instead of rattling, it was a bit of a whining/vibration when depressing the clutch pedal.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/436717-whining-sound-when-clutch-disengages.html

still need to fix it LOL just haven't had the time.

Im pretty sure its the bearing.

Sometimes when im backing up it like jumps and shakes until i let off the clutch.
And sometimes it grinds when i put it into 2nd.

Im pretty sure its the bearing.

Sometimes when im backing up it like jumps and shakes until i let off the clutch.
And sometimes it grinds when i put it into 2nd.

Please tell me you put the black spacer back on when you put the case halves (as in the bellhousing) together?

MB

Not to thread jack, but my clutch pedal squeaks when i depress it which is actually starting to get pretty annoying LOL. Anyone have any ideas?

If you are talking about sqeaking INSIDE the car, then you are going to have to look at the actually pedal/assembly (no we don't have an assembly like the 1g's, just using that word as a descriptor).

It may be the spring or the part that pivots (which I believe has a plastic bushing. it been quite a while since I have been down there, so I'm smoking the old man memory to remember :hmm:). You can simply look at the pedal etc. and see where parts move (ie cable entry into arm, arm pivot point, spring for arm etc.). If you can't see anything outstanding, wd those "moving areas" one spot at a time until you isolate which one. Then you will need to inspect to see what's actually wrong.

MB

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back