Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > 420A DSM Tech > 420A Bolt-on Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

420A Bolt-on Tech: Intake, exhaust, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc - specific to 2G N/T DSMs. New Members must limit their 420A tech posts to this forum.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2003, 03:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 9
Photos: 3
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to 1995_eclipse_nt Send a message via Yahoo to 1995_eclipse_nt

motor swap, 2.0 to a 2.4 in a 95 eclipse

thinking of going to a 2.4 engine in my 95 eclipse, if anyone has heard of this being done or have done it before i would appreciate some info on this. i already have a block out of a stratus so that part is out of the way.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 03:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T
Tech Posts: 743
It'll fit just fine but I think the motor/trans mounts are different. You gonna bolt a 1G head on there? That sounds like a cool project man.

Old 03-29-2003, 04:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Send a message via AIM to 1995_eclipse_nt Send a message via Yahoo to 1995_eclipse_nt
didnt plan on putting the 1g head on i was going to use my head. do u think the 1g head would be better though? i wouldnt see why the tranny mount would be different i was going to use my 5-speed

Old 03-29-2003, 06:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yes, the 2.4 is SOHC so the 1G head will flow A LOT better. Plus, you will have DOHC instead of SOHC. It is DEFINETELY worth it to get the 1G head. You might have to do some custom fabbing to get the 2.4 to fit but it will work.

BTW, you CAN'T use your head b/c you have a 420A(Chrysler) head. This won't fit on a 4G64(Mitsu) block. Sorry.

Old 03-29-2003, 09:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

kool, thanx for the input, i would of been trying to put my head on the stupid thing thats ok i have a head off of a 91 turbo plymouth laser so i will be good to go. i plan on doing the internals the motor has a bad rod so i have to, what do you suggest for pistons, overbore or not, and rods? thanx for the input so far

Old 03-29-2003, 09:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 615
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to Hobbes =^.^=
What do you mean a 2.4L Something like a stroker engine tat Magnus offers?

Old 03-29-2003, 10:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Looking at a 92 TSi
Tech Posts: 698
Send a message via AIM to TalonRacer18 Send a message via Yahoo to TalonRacer18
no the 4g64 is the engine out a a nt spyder, it is 2.4l i think this is right?

Old 03-29-2003, 10:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

n othe 2.4 is out of the dodge stratus, chrysler cirrus ( i think that is the name) and the new dodge neon and the dodge caravan, you can use the bottom end in a 2g car but you need a head off of a 1g car. I'm doing this to my 95 eclipse and i was just wondering if they made a stroker kit for it

Old 03-30-2003, 10:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1995_eclipse_nt
n othe 2.4 is out of the dodge stratus, chrysler cirrus ( i think that is the name) and the new dodge neon and the dodge caravan, you can use the bottom end in a 2g car but you need a head off of a 1g car. I'm doing this to my 95 eclipse and i was just wondering if they made a stroker kit for it
All these cars and the NT Spyder have the same Mitsu engine(4G64). And yes, 2.4 L. It makes a nice NT setup with the 4G64 block and 1G head.

Old 03-30-2003, 06:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,168
Photos: 31
HE has a 95 N/T his motor is the 420a and the 2.4 that will fit in his car i the one out of the seabring and to do that swap there is alot involved if he wanted to do a 4g63(head)/4g64(block) 2.4 swap he would need about 5000$ that is the same thing as doing a 4g63 swap in to a n/t except you use the 4g64 block and I dont think that is worth it. Here is a small list of things that need to be done.Remenber this is the 2.4 with the 420a head
4 corner 2.4 head bolts
2.4 timing belt
Custom pasanger side motor mount & accesiore brackets
Custom oil pan & lower cross member
relocate oil filter
Lower water pipe dose not line up right
Remove blance shafts & plug the holes with bolts
Cam position magnet removed
Location nipples filled off and replaced
Rotate cams clockwise 90'
Relocation of dipstick
coil puck rewire
Inj. rewire 4-3,3-2,2-1,1-4
Pt cruiser alternator bracket will work
That is not all but for the most part that is it have fun!

Old 03-30-2003, 07:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,465
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to na90dsm
do they make a 6-bolt version of this. if they do i know where to find the crnak i need.

Old 03-30-2003, 07:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 201
Send a message via AIM to jimmy169
i wish we could do the new neon srt-4 engine swap but I think thats not possible right
Visit jimmy169's homepage! 

Old 03-30-2003, 08:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmy169
i wish we could do the new neon srt-4 engine swap but I think thats not possible right
Not a chance. Its mounted front to back whereas ours are back to front.

Old 03-30-2003, 10:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Looking at a 92 TSi
Tech Posts: 698
Send a message via AIM to TalonRacer18 Send a message via Yahoo to TalonRacer18
why would you want a 6 bolt nt engine, there is no way that u would push that much hp nt to crnkwalk.

Old 03-30-2003, 11:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSM-ZERO
if he wanted to do a 4g63(head)/4g64(block) 2.4 swap he would need about 5000$ that is the same thing as doing a 4g63 swap in to a n/t except you use the 4g64 block and I dont think that is worth it.
i already have the motor, and the head, my dad is a mechanic, has been for about 30 or 40 years now. have you done this swap or no someone that has? if you do i would like their info on it. therefore i do not need to spend the 5k it would be alot of time but i think it would be worth it, jumping up from a 2.0 to a 2.4! thats alot more power than before and torque, so i think it would be worth it, plus i like to be different from everyone else, thanx for the info though

Old 03-31-2003, 01:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 559
Photos: 7
Ok turbo guy's, stop giving advise because you are not getting this topic. There is a 2.4L 420a that came from the cloud cars, that is the one he is swapping. So it would be a 2.0L 420a ---> 2.4L 420a swap. You can not bolt a 1g anything to this motor this is an all 420a topic. No 6bolts or 7bolts none of that stuff. There is a lot of work involved, so I hope your dad is good at custom things. What the one guy said above is right on track.

"HE has a 95 N/T his motor is the 420a and the 2.4 that will fit in his car i the one out of the seabring and to do that swap there is alot involved if he wanted to do a 4g63(head)/4g64(block) 2.4 swap he would need about 5000$ that is the same thing as doing a 4g63 swap in to a n/t except you use the 4g64 block and I dont think that is worth it. Here is a small list of things that need to be done.Remenber this is the 2.4 with the 420a head
4 corner 2.4 head bolts
2.4 timing belt
Custom pasanger side motor mount & accesiore brackets
Custom oil pan & lower cross member
relocate oil filter
Lower water pipe dose not line up right
Remove blance shafts & plug the holes with bolts
Cam position magnet removed
Location nipples filled off and replaced
Rotate cams clockwise 90'
Relocation of dipstick
coil puck rewire
Inj. rewire 4-3,3-2,2-1,1-4
Pt cruiser alternator bracket will work
That is not all but for the most part that is it have fun!"

There is more involved though. You should go to www.2gnt.com and talk to a guy named the1bill He is doing this swap and to my knowledge has all the info you will require. There is also a guy named brendyn that is doing the swap, but he is stroking the 2.4L to a 2.6L. If you want to build up the 2.4L you can go to howell, he has rebuild kits for it out already. Or you could call ARD and see how much they would charge.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

thanx for the info man, i no it is going to be alot of work but i think it would be worth it, i mean the old saying is "there's no replacement for displacement" could you tell me what car that 2.4 420A motor came out of, i think i am getting a lil confused on what that last guy said, thanx again!

Old 04-01-2003, 03:50 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 443
Send a message via AIM to wicked93GS
well, the 2.4 if its out of a dodge car is DOHC to begin with, people do the swap in neons all the time, and it makes a hell of a difference, I think it would swap into an eclipse with maybe some motor mount work. If a 2g eclipse NT head will fit on a dodge block, i would use that intstead of the 2.4 block , so your exhaust manifold faces toward the front of the engine bay and not the back, just remember, I'm talking about the NT car here, but anyway, the 2.4 DOHC would make a hell of a motor for an eclipse....damn, now I'm thinking about it

Old 04-01-2003, 08:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 559
Photos: 7
Well acctually it's still the 420a so it's still a chrysler motor. I don't know all the cars they came out of, but I thought you already had one? I understand the old saying, but it really is going to be a pain in the ass. There are some guy's at 2gnt attempting it now, that is your best source for info. The guy's doing it on 2gnt are trying to get a company to make a swap kit for this job, once that is out you will be able to do this much easier. You may want to hang tight or perhaps you could look into the 2.2L from howell. You could try this yourself but the above things and more will have to be done. You really need to contact the1bill if your going to try this, he has all the details.

Old 04-02-2003, 01:55 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wicked93GS
. If a 2g eclipse NT head will fit on a dodge block, i would use that intstead of the 2.4 block
that is what i have right now, i have a 2.0 block out of a dodge neon and my nt eclipse head, the yhave the same bottom end just a diff head.