The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1g Wheels and Tires Size Questions [merged]fit fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpdst29

Probationary Member
Apr 29, 2002
Pennsylvania
All 1g wheel and tire size questions from the newbie sections are merged here.

hi,
i am interested in putting 18" motegi MR-7 wheels on my 1991 plymouth laser. my only problem is i do not know if they will fit in the wheel well with tires. if anyone out there has 18" wheels on their laser....please let me know so and also tell me what size tire you have on the wheel. i would also like to know how snugly they fit in the wheel well. if 18's dont fit i guess i will have to go for 17 inch wheels. what is a good size tire that would fit a 17" wheel?

thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me

jerome

would 50 series make my car too low to drive? i like my car low. i might just buy 55

A 225/55/16 would be taller than your original tire. I would go with the 50's instead of a 55's it will be to tall in that width. 225/50/16 look nice and still ride real good. Remember 50% of 225 is the sidewall height versus your 55% of 205. 55% of 225 would be to tall.

Russ

i'm just a bout ready to buy the '91 gs-x that i've been looking at, but it has practically NO tread. i'm going to have to get new tires before i really give it a good driving. but which ones?

if anybody wants to recommend a size (stock rims) and/or brand/type that has worked well for them in the past i'd be greatful. nothing too expensive preferably, cuz there's a good chance i'll have to get new ones when i replace the stock rims, but that won't be for a little while yet.

i want to know the largest width to put on can a 285/55/16 fit on the front of my 1g gst need a larger contact patch and major stares from the mustang guys how about 305s

Originally posted by getboosted
i want to know the largest width to put on can a 285/55/16 fit on the front of my 1g gst need a larger contact patch and major stares from the mustang guys how about 305s

Now that's funny. Its a joke right? Cause I am laughing.

The largest I know of is 275/40/17's and that is on Dennis Grants car. His rims I believe are 17x10 with a +12 offset on a 2G. I doubt seriously it would fit on a 1G.

I fellow racer and member of this board runs 245 width and 17" tires on the street but he has to use a spacer on his 1G. I run 235/40/17 tires on the street with a +35 offset.

So in short, I don't think you can fit 285/55/16 and trying to get a contact patch like a Mustang is just silly.

i think 215/50/16 is the widest you can safely put on the stock Tsi/GSx wheels. Any wider and it rubs, and causes other probs.

I think

i have my eagle talon with the stock 16 inch rims and i was looking at some new rims but i was wondering my tire is 225/50/16 and if i went to 17's then what size tire would i need to get so that my speedoimeter wouldn't be all messed up if u know and could he it would be appreciated thanx......David

:dsm: .....................DSM's FOREVER

WTF does that last sentence mean? As long as you get something reaonably close youll be fine, cause Im sure even stock your speedo isnt perfect. Those 225/50 isnt stock anyway... If you get a 215/45/17 or a 225/4017 those are both within about a .5" of the stock 205/50/16's and should be fine for the speedo...

Hey, I was wondering what size wheels would make my talon go its fastest? Since u go faster with bigger wheels. Thanx. BYE

say what??.. uhm.. i think u mean like.. the lighter the rim.. you'll go faster.. but anyhow.. you want.. like.. uhm... light rims.. these are ur sizes

205/55/R16 = stock 16" Rim
215/45/R17 = 1" bigger.. 17" rim
225/40/R18 = 2" bigger.. 18" rim

now.. if ur not sure what that means.. i'll explain

The 205, 215, 225.... is the width of the tire.. in MM i believe.. the 55, 45, 40.. is the percentage of the previous number.. = the side wall.. so like.. for ex. if you have 205 width.. 55% of 205 is how big ur sidewall is.. on a 16" rim.. your overall diameter is 24.9".. and you want to stay about the same.. and those are the sizes for staying in an around that area. Now if you want 18" rims.. you're gonna need a high offset.. .. no lower then +40mm offset.. if u h ave lower then that.. you're gonna need to roll ur fenders and it might cause steering problems cus ur tire might dig into the wall inside ur wheel well.. hope that hells..

Trust me man. If u have larger wheels like 17in or 18in wheel then each rotation is larger therefore u go faster. Atleast thats what i was told.

Ok, what happens when you raise the gearing in youre car? It takes you longer to get up to speed, just like if youre in a high gear on and bike, and youre trying to take off as fast as you can pedal, but its really hard because it is geared so high. Now when start out in a lower gear, it is easier, and you get up to speed faster. See what I am saying?

So when you put bigger wheels and tires on your car, its basically gearing your car higher, and make it slower. Thats why you want to stay around the stock wheel and tire diameter. You don't want to get to small either though, cause then youre car will get up tp speed real fast, but then youre going to top out a lot faster.

See what I am saying?

You can get some 17's, with just a small tire size. You can get 18's too, but youre tires are going to be really thin to be able to get them about the original tire and wheel size. I just bought some 17" Konig Subzero's. They are really lightweight. Weight of wheels and tires also helps, less rotating mass, easier to get them to spin, the faster you will go.

Well yes bigger tires=more speed. My friend got bigger tires on his ranger and he hadta put a sticker on his speedometer that says at 40mph its really 47 and at 70mph its really like 80 or so.

Originally posted by Nomad666
Trust me man. If u have larger wheels like 17in or 18in wheel then each rotation is larger therefore u go faster. Atleast thats what i was told.

hee hee..........:D

but with larger rims, you would be using lower profile tires too. I mean, you wouldn't be using 17 or 18" rims with 50,55 or 60 profile sidewalls right? hehe..........

sorry......just found it a little funny.

anyways. The main point when upgrading your wheels, is try to retain the closest overall diameter of the entire wheel. select the suitable +1 or +2 size for your wheels, and you are fine. As long as you follow the formula......errm....does anyone know the formula here guys? I forgot. I'll post it as soon as I am able to find it.......

anyways, as long as your have the suitable sizing, your speedometer and your mileage meter should not be that much off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back