The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Single Sequential Turbocharger

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livedsm4g63

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2008
Auburn Hills, Michigan

Attachments

• 6a00d83451b3c669e20120a5312128970b-800wi.jpg
    6a00d83451b3c669e20120a5312128970b-800wi.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,612
I think they're going to see a lot of failure rates with that. Garrett doesn't make reliable standard turbos, I'd hate to see what happens with these. Very interesting concept none-the-less.

Garrett has been playing around with those for a while. I haven't seen any test data on them though.

I wish Ford would have stuck with the compound turbo configuration. My buddy has an F450 with it and it makes for an impressive powerband. I thought Ford did a great job packaging it in there too.

Ford V8 diesel trucks haven't been worth a damn since the 7.3 with the Garrett GTP38 surge-king. That 7.3 had enough off-boost torque to rip a house off it's foundation- now we have trucks that don't make shit for power unless they're up in the revs and making boost, just like our cars.

Up until 2002 they had a great thing going- ever since it's been smaller 6.0 and 6.4 engines working twice as hard, getting fuel mileage worse than the 7.3, breaking down ten times as often, and costing three times as much to repair. Perhaps Ford will redeem themselves with the 6.7, but if I had to spend money on a diesel truck tomorrow it would be a Dodge for sure. Seeing the breakdown of this turbocharger is even more reinforcement to my claim. LOL

Ford V8 diesel trucks haven't been worth a damn since the 7.3 with the Garrett GTP38 surge-king. That 7.3 had enough off-boost torque to rip a house off it's foundation- now we have trucks that don't make shit for power unless they're up in the revs and making boost, just like our cars.

Up until 2002 they had a great thing going- ever since it's been smaller 6.0 and 6.4 engines working twice as hard, getting fuel mileage worse than the 7.3, breaking down ten times as often, and costing three times as much to repair. Perhaps Ford will redeem themselves with the 6.7, but if I had to spend money on a diesel truck tomorrow it would be a Dodge for sure. Seeing the breakdown of this turbocharger is even more reinforcement to my claim. LOL

Agreed but the government and consumers are what is driving the engines to be what they are. Just trying to get the emissions and fuel economy to a legal amount meant the 6.0L needed the EGR that was its achilles heel and the newer trucks need to have half the engine under the cab so the windshield can slope more. Consumers also don't like the turbo lag and don't want their diesel to act like a diesel.

What's with the metal pipe coming off on the top right of the turbo? I'm lost.

edit: Sendonary compressor inlet. My bad, looking at the wrong thing. Thanks DSM_love_GST

What's with the metal pipe coming off on the top right of the turbo? I'm lost.

Looks like where compressed air should come out... What Im lost about is where the compresed air gets recirculated...

Actually looking at the other pic on the website im totally lost. It looks like they split the v configuration to operate on different halves of 1 turbo. 1 engine engine, 1 turbo, 2 halves on each. like an opposing twin scroll turbo with one hot outlet. and 1 cold inlet with 2 compressor outlets. I dont think its really as cool as they hype it to be. looks excessively complicated.

But It does look like there is some sensor in the center of the housing: maybe a turbine shaft rpm sensor, temp sensor, or oil pressure. Im betting on temperature sensor to prevent oil cooking after shutdown.
edit:

HAHA looks like we are all lost.

Interesting to say the least. Are there two inducer wheels back to back? They have to move together, so just a small wheel on one side and a large wheel attached to its backside?

I went to a diesel school last year and nobody really likes the newer fords although the may have rediemend them selfs with the scorpion.
But on a side note on the cummins they have awesome engines but there Tranys are kinda weak I had two buddy's with 06 07 manual cummins and they put some humgo turbos on there trucks and there Tranys both went with in 2 months.
But for a stock truck you can't beat dodge.

I read the thingy from the link: It has one turbine wheel with two inlets, one outlet, and variable vanes surrounding it to adjust velocity (controlled by that electronic actuator in the cartridge).

The compressor side has two mirror image siamesed compressor wheels packaged in a single housing.

The intake sides of the heads are at the outsides of the engine, and the exhaust manifolds are in the center facing towards each other. The turbo sits in the valley between the heads.
Instead of hanging the turbo from the turbine housing, the center section has a four bolt pedestal to relieve stress on the hot turbine housing.

Sounds good in theory.

I went to a diesel school last year and nobody really likes the newer fords although the may have rediemend them selfs with the scorpion.
But on a side note on the cummins they have awesome engines but there Tranys are kinda weak I had two buddy's with 06 07 manual cummins and they put some humgo turbos on there trucks and there Tranys both went with in 2 months.
But for a stock truck you can't beat dodge.

The Cummins is the best engine, but its not only the transmission that is weak on Rams, its everything. Precisely why I would rather deal with a couple fixable engine issues than constantly be replacing u-joints, suspension, transmissions, etc.

A Cummins/Allison in a Powerstroke is the dream truck.

I said it wrong...Dual inlet for the turbine, one outlet for exhaust outlet..1 outlet for compressed air, and 2 inlets for regular air...

Ya I had to look at the pic in the article again.It is an interesting turbo..

Essentially they stuck two turbos back to back, and deleted two outlets. It really isn't complicating at all. but rather stupid in my opinion. It will be one huge fail, and when people end up blowing their turbos. They wont have another one to replace it with because of the fail design.

While it is complicated and possibly trouble prone, it is a very smart idea, especially with the reverse flow heads. I'm sure when used in stock application it will last trouble free for a long time. They say by 500hp this turbo is out of airflow and since stock is already 400, people will probably just be throwing on twins or a larger single anyway.

Before I joined the Navy I worked with my dad helping with the landscape business, he had a Ford 7.3 dually to haul the 30ft trailer and that thing was, and still is, a bad ass truck.

:dsm:

The Cummins is the best engine, but its not only the transmission that is weak on Rams, its everything. Precisely why I would rather deal with a couple fixable engine issues than constantly be replacing u-joints, suspension, transmissions, etc.

I got 240K out my ujoints on my 03 Ram. .:confused:

I got 240K out my ujoints on my 03 Ram. .:confused:

1/2 ton or 3/4-1 ton truck?

I know countless people who do u-joints every 60k miles and I even know someone who put 1 million kms on his Dodge but when through five transmissions.

Also, my good friend who is a huge Dodge guy has an '05 Cummins with >200k kms and the engine hasn't been touched but he's had transmission issues, t-case leaks, done all u-joints and will now have to put new suspension in up front. Meanwhile, my boss has an '03 F-350 with 6.0L and he has had to rebuild the turbo, had an issue with the fuel system, and did an EGR delete and oil cooler upgrade but he has literally done NOTHING else to the rest of the truck.

Up until 2002 they had a great thing going- ever since it's been smaller 6.0 and 6.4 engines working twice as hard, getting fuel mileage worse than the 7.3, breaking down ten times as often, and costing three times as much to repair. Perhaps Ford will redeem themselves with the 6.7

Up until 99-2000 the 7.3's had forged internals. Those were the ones to get if you want a 7.3 liter to bolt on some goodies. The 7.3 was retired halfway through 03 due to emissions. The 6.0 is a beast, engine internals are much stronger than the 7.3's, plus it had the VGT turbo for more down low power, and it was paried with a better 5 speed trans. The problem was with the coolant Ford used. International had no problems with the 6.0 in Europe. But the coolant that was put in them once they came state side had silicates that would clog the oil cooler and cause problems blowing the headgaskets. By 05 They had the problem somewhat figured out and by 06, they had fewer warranty claims than they did with the 7.3's. The 6.0's being junk is the equivalent of "you have a 2g, it's going to crankwalk..." The 6.4 was the last engine Ford bought from International for thier trucks. It had the compound turbo setup and was a monster with a Spartan tune and a couple other little things done. Now the 6.7 Scorpion is Ford's frist crack at designing and building thier own deisel engine.

Meanwhile, my boss has an '03 F-350 with 6.0L and he has had to rebuild the turbo, had an issue with the fuel system, and did an EGR delete and oil cooler upgrade but he has literally done NOTHING else to the rest of the truck.

Sounds like your boss knows what he's doing. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back