The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G No spark in 1 and 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinhill98gst

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2007
White bEAR laKE, Minnesota
Long story short I degreased my engine and it would not start. It turned out to be a bad crank angle sensor, now the car is running but is not get spark on 1 and 4 so far I changed out coil packs and power transistor. The car would run right then its like 1 and 4 just turns off. any input guys? btw its for a 1998 gst

Also it started out it would drive normal then just it would cut out now it will not get spark at all in 1 and 4

Last edited:
If it was a n/t I would have said try a different crank positioning sensor. I'm not sure on the turbo engines. But that was the problem on mine when I did a rebuild on my 420a engine and cracked the cps by accident. Car would run 5 minutes and lose spark to 1 and 4

Best way to check a crank angle sensor is with a scope. But if this all happened after you"degreased" your engine I would look for water intrusion in the conectors.

You de-greased your engine and then this issue surfaced....If you hit the top of your motor pretty aggressively with water then theres a good chance water found it's way down the spark plug tubes and around your spark plugs allowing for the spark to ground out to the engine block and head assembly.

I would remove your plug wires and then try blowing out the plug tubes with compressed air......Alot of times the spark plug wires overtime will not seal up to the top of the valve cover like they should and this actually allows dirt and debris (and in your case water) down the tubes and around the porcelin end of the spark plug where the wires snap in.....if water is able to reach that area then its easy to see how a voltage leak can form between the plug wire and the plug allowing voltage to escape to the cylinder head rather than to the spark plugs and on into the cylinder where it can do you some good........ Blow this area out with compressed air and make sure there is little to no moisture in it and your issue may disappear all together....

try swapping your ecu to another car to see if your computer may have had driver failures after washing the engine...I'd hate to think something happened to it but you never know.....If you swap your computer to a good running car and the other car ends up with the issue you may have to go hunting for a possible short caused by water intrusion to a harness or something like that.....

I had the sane problem... I tried 2 different coil packs and it didn't fix it. my problem was my cam angle sensor. Let me know if it's the same for u.

the middle pin on your transistor is what controls your tack. my pin backed out and my tack did the same thing

Check your crank angle sensor, I've heard that if its damaged the ECU will shut down 2 cylinders.

Thanks for all the feed back guy's, But I tryed everything i'm about to go through the harness from the transistor because when I move the harness the motor kills

So I went through the harness fixed ever cracked wire still missing in 1 and 4. So far this is what I have done CAM positioning sensor,Crank Sensor,Switch out power transistor, Switch out coil packs and went through the harness and fixed every little cracked wire,Check out all the fuses. The only thing I have not done yet is switch in a different ECU but I looked at the ECU no leaking caps no burnt smell no marks but could it still be the ECU?

Last edited:
Eh nevermind! I brought my Ecu to another dsmers and put my ecu in his car, made his car run wrong, so we assumed It was the ecu. So i bought a different ecu and still doing the same thing! injector 1 and 4 are dead. what else could it be?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back