The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Need Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossDSM

Probationary Member
Mar 8, 2011
Regina, SK_Canada
Hi i have a wired problem with my "1992 eagle talon Base".
What it does is exactly the same thing like in the video below, and revs only till 3500.
YouTube - 92 Eagle talon Problems. (I FIXED IT)

but even though I've changed the ECU!!!...it still doing the same thing.

EDIT:
looks like it's getting to much fuel, I checked the spark plugs I recently bought, they were black as hell.

Last edited:
Did you ground the ignition so the computer isn't trying to compensate for the change when you adjust your CAS?

Did you ground the ignition so the computer isn't trying to compensate for the change when you adjust your CAS?

Sorry i just got into DSM's a few month ago, I didnt know that you have to ground it, i'll try though just tell me how to ground it.

Last edited:
Right by your battery theres a big connector and a small connector, you need to use a grounding wire, with alligator clips (what i use) and run it from that big connector to the negative terminal on the battery. Then just make sure with your timing gun, you connect the trigger clamp on the spark plug wire that runs to the cylinder closest to your cam gears.

Right by your battery theres a big connector and a small connector, you need to use a grounding wire, with alligator clips (what i use) and run it from that big connector to the negative terminal on the battery. Then just make sure with your timing gun, you connect the trigger clamp on the spark plug wire that runs to the cylinder closest to your cam gears.

I have a ground wire connected from the battery to the body, and i wish i had that gun xD

What timing light are you using? I would ground it out where i stated, i'm going to go out, and make a grounding wire put it on my car and take a picture for you, I'm running dsmlink, so i get to just check a box "ground ignition to ecu" and it's good to go, but i can see where doing this without the dsmlink could be a hassle. Let me know what type of timing light you're using, i'll also upload a picture of how the gun needs to look when it's hooked up.

What timing light are you using? I would ground it out where i stated, i'm going to go out, and make a grounding wire put it on my car and take a picture for you, I'm running dsmlink, so i get to just check a box "ground ignition to ecu" and it's good to go, but i can see where doing this without the dsmlink could be a hassle. Let me know what type of timing light you're using, i'll also upload a picture of how the gun needs to look when it's hooked up.

The problem is, I don't have a timing light or a gun. but tomorrow i can try to get one.
Thanks btw.

Pictures by 98DiamondStar - Photobucket

Heres an album I put together, sorry for the long delay, but I had to run to the parts store before it closed. These pictures should show you everything you need to know. (preparation for timing the car) Also, I would grab some new plugs for the car before you time it, I see you edited and said yours were black? Would not hurt at all to get a new set, and gap them correctly.

Last edited:
Pictures by 98DiamondStar - Photobucket

Heres an album I put together, sorry for the long delay, but I had to run to the parts store before it closed. These pictures should show you everything you need to know. (preparation for timing the car) Also, I would grab some new plugs for the car before you time it, I see you edited and said yours were black? Would not hurt at all to get a new set, and gap them correctly.

Ok so i did what you told me to, its working right et least, and i made it even better after i changed the vacuum. but its not as it suppose to be yet, still eating to much fuel, and not passing the 3500rpm

maybe its the TPS for the RPM's?
and the EFI for fuel?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey man, Not a bad video at all, It still sounds like your timing is off a hair. It could be your throttle position sensor, but that being said, you've got a LOT OF SMOKE in your garage, LOL, it's either WAY too much fuel, or not ENOUGH spark, check the gaps on your plugs, and also check your fuel pressure regulator. I mean, this could be 10 different things, but we've checked off 2 or 3 already, so lets keep going.

Hey man, Not a bad video at all, It still sounds like your timing is off a hair. It could be your throttle position sensor, but that being said, you've got a LOT OF SMOKE in your garage, LOL, it's either WAY too much fuel, or not ENOUGH spark, check the gaps on your plugs, and also check your fuel pressure regulator. I mean, this could be 10 different things, but we've checked off 2 or 3 already, so lets keep going.

k will wait for tomorrow, maybe i can get a tps.

EDIT:
1.About the smoke i know its too much fuel cause i recently bought fuel for it and after a few hours it have gone!
and the spark plugs are gappet

2.I got a timing gun and now its in time, i noticed that the fans started to work and some other things but the engine sound got worse.

3.when i unplug the airflow sensor it starts to act wired, sounds like a striate line and when it gets spark it goes high
like a wave up and down up and down.

Last edited:
so you got plugs, gapped them, you have it timed, and it sounds worse? Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator? the Diaphram in it may have went bad it could just be pushing too much fuel at too high of pressure.
Also check your PCV valve, make sure it is working like it should. I just can't see how dumping too much fuel alone would cause it to hit a wall at 3000 rpm like that, maybe theres too much pressure in the crank case. I've seen that happen before.

so you got plugs, gapped them, you have it timed, and it sounds worse? Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator? the Diaphram in it may have went bad it could just be pushing too much fuel at too high of pressure.
Also check your PCV valve, make sure it is working like it should. I just can't see how dumping too much fuel alone would cause it to hit a wall at 3000 rpm like that, maybe theres too much pressure in the crank case. I've seen that happen before.

The PCV valve seems to be fine i did a check by following the "Haynes Repair Manual"
dont know about the FPR yet

Last edited:
Same thing or very similar happenned to me back when i had an NT, it was caused by the ECU caps leaking, you should have them replaced before fiddling with anything else.

Same thing or very similar happenned to me back when i had an NT, it was caused by the ECU caps leaking, you should have them replaced before fiddling with anything else.

I have changed the ecu and its the same, Here's some logs

LOG 1
LOG 2
LOG 3

EDIT:
PROBLEM SOLVED, IT WAS THE TIMING!!!

Last edited:
I'm glad you got it man, I figured it was the timing all along, I'm fighting my own battles with my car right now, between misfires at wide open throttle, the boost leak at the throttle body, etc etc. Anyways, Good to hear you got it!!:rocks::hellyeah:

Thanks for helping bud :cool:
Good luck with your issue!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back