The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Compound turbo dyno results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's also worth noting the the final pull was done in 4th gear to decrease the rate of acceleration to help with the clutch slipping issue. 4th gear is a .833:1 ratio, so that slowed acceleration, which made for lower overall horsepower and torque numbers. 3rd gear would have been well over 609 had the clutch held.

Holy balls batman. That is a very extreme curve. That's instant power!

I've got to go next year. There's so many people I want to meet in person. That means I have A LOT of work to do on the car in the next year.
Bah, nobody's going to judge you based on your car! Hell I've driven my GS out the past three years, and before that we all piled into a minivan. If I waited until one of my turbo cars were actually on the road before going to the Shootout, I'd be a very old man....older than I am right now!

That's one hell of a power curve! That thing WOULD be fun as hell to cruise around town! The torque would be ripping the doors off alot of cars that people think are really cool. Wow!, many, many props man!:hellyeah:

After hearing Lafond talk about the build and seeing it at the SO each year, its nice to finally see some numbers with it. I hope the end result is rewarding for all the work you've put into it. Would be awesome to see 700 HP!!

I just showed my girl your power curve on your 'street car'. (she's very much into her turbo 2liter Cosworth fords) her response was Wow! whats his race car like?

Man Paul wish I was there. I cant wait for the new setup and the numbers on that one. Still kinda upset it had to break on you like that before we got to the track this friday. But anyways great work glad I could help out.

Thats an amazing curve, I think my numbers were close but thats on a 2.4L and you are 2.0!!
Thanks, Andrew. I'm very much looking forward to going back next spring and doing pulls from the 2500 RPM range. I have a good feeling that my torque curve will shift further to the left if we're able to got WOT sooner.

I just showed my girl your power curve on your 'street car'. (she's very much into her turbo 2liter Cosworth fords) her response was Wow! whats his race car like?
LOL Ironically enough, my race car will make less HP than my street car when it's finished. But should be equally quick being that it weighs almost 900 lbs less.

Man Paul wish I was there. I cant wait for the new setup and the numbers on that one. Still kinda upset it had to break on you like that before we got to the track this friday. But anyways great work glad I could help out.
Thanks Allen. Yeah, I was debating pulling the head to resurface it and getting it back together before tonight, but then I'd still be racing on a failing clutch (which I can't afford to replace right now). I can be patient until the spring. You still going to 131 tonight? I still might try to make it down there.

Also, you know anyone who might be interested in buying my turbo set-up? You should talk John into it. It'd be sick on a stroker engine. :)

Very impressive. Its innovations and new idea's like your compound set up that keep the DSM community alive and honda owners angry

Why is your car only running the front wheels but you have a converted gst to gsx????? You have a switchable trans or something too?

I had some fun on the dyno yesterday. It was a 2WD Dynojet, so I dropped the t-case and driveshaft and hit the road. The very first pull blew the tires clean off on the rollers before we even hit 6K rpms. Love that torque! We eventually had to turn the tire pressures down to 20 psi and use some sort of spray on aerosol traction promoter to get traction. Immediately, the clutch began to slip in the 5000-6700 RPM range and slowly catching back up. I'm pushing this ACT 2600 well beyond what it's rated for and I'm surprised it's done as well as it has thus far. But, it's time for a twin disk. The blank areas on the dynograph are where the rollers weren't accurately reading due to the clutch. And when it caught, it still wasn't catching 100%.

Despite the slipping clutch, I was still able to squeeze out 609 WHP and 541 ft/lbs torque. This was at 47 PSI! But, the final pull also answered my question of whether or not the head was warped from overheating at the shootout. The head gasket popped somewhere between cylinders 2 and 3 and was pissing a stream of coolant out the back of the block. So, I'll have the head resurfaced this time around and should be all set. And I'll have to get a better clutch before I can see true and complete curves and peaks.

This power curve is gnarly! This is exactly why it's an absolute blast to drive around on the street.

We did some math and we feel it would have peaked in the 680-700 WHP range had the clutch held. And we would have started the pulls at a much lower RPM, but that was putting the clutch in an even tighter headlock.

Datalog attached.
You've just got to read the second sentence of Paul's original post. :p

:dsm:

Where is the big ol coy emoticon when you need it. Makes me wonder what his awhp would be? Hmm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back