The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

help with manual boost controller!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseymac

Probationary Member
Mar 11, 2010
wilkes barre, Pennsylvania
ok so i ordered a manual boost controller off ebay and installed it according to picture in link

see link
Visual Frequently Answered Questions - Home Page

where that t fitting is and hose ends i have it connected into my intake manifold. theres nothnig controlling my boost do i have it right if not how should connect my boost controller. i ran one line from my boost controller to my wastegate. theni had a line running from my bov which is td where a line runs to my intake manifold and last line runs to my boost controller. any input will help thanks

This thread has been beat to death. You could have googled how to install MBC.

You could have searched the site and found possibly 1000+ threads on this.

Your first problem is this -

"ok so i ordered a manual boost controller off EBAY"

as you can see in my post i did it according to the one i found and the second one and there totally diffrent unless that t fitting that just end is the line that runs to my turbo in the one i posted so i was just asking which one is that one i should followand asking where my tube for he intake manifold connects to

If you read the Posting Rules, you'll see your breaking the rules as much as he is. Try contributing to the Thread. That way you dont look like such a jackass.

As for the original question. When i installed my Boostcontroller i didn't run any hoses to or from my Intake manifold. I dont have a Ebay MBC though, but i imagine the install cant be much different.

I never completely understood why people say that. They aren't anything fancy or complex.

There are 2 different types of manual boost controllers: ball-and-spring an bleeder.

BALL AND SPRING
A ball and spring MBC has only 2 lines going to it. It's a check valve. You connect a pressure source to the nipple the ball seats against, and you connect the WG to the other nipple. You'll plug the nipple on the intake pipe that the stock BCS was connected to.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

BLEEDER
A bleeder style MBC also has 2 lines going to it, but it also needs a T installed. The T is placed with one nipple going to the WG, one nipple going to a pressure source, and the other connecting to one of the nipples on the MBC. The other nipple on the MBC gets connected back to the intake where the stock boost controller was connected to. The stock setup is an electronic bleeder type boost controller. You'll just be installing a manual one. You can actually just unplug the 2 hoses off the stock controller and put them on a bleeder style on and have it work.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If there isn't a nipple directly opposite the knob, then it's a bleeder type.
Is there is, it could be either type.

You should have your boost source either on the compressor cover, on the j-pipe, or on the IC piping near the turbo. I wouldn't suggest running a line all the way from the intake manifold.

Several different MBC manufacturers suggest tapping the BOV line. DON'T DO THIS! The BOV should be on it's own dedicated line from the intake manifold.

Last edited by a moderator:
alright its a bleeder type i appreciate the info guys. if that was in the forums i appologize to i couldnt find it and was trying to get some input on what i did find. ill let you know hows it works out thanks

why do they suggest tapping bov line? thanks

It's an easy hose to get to. Not all cars have a turbo stock, and not all turbos have a port on the compressor cover or port on the j-pipe for a boost source. It's an easy way to source boost pressure, even though each should be kept on its own dedicated line for best response.

i was gonna redo my hoses in my car as well and i kinda did hook it up wrong bc of what i found earlier. is there a size hose you would recommend at all ?

1/8" or 3/16"
Just go to the auto parts store and ask for vacuum line.

as per the bleeder type diagram i tool my intake off to try find port hole on turbo and i cannot find one on it it also says t3/t4 turbo on turbo it self and big etched on it m12. under theinjen intake was also a solenoid with two ports do i connect it to there. sorry i need some help here i did go out and get ten feet of all new vacuum hose just need help setting it up

Casey

ok so i have no nipple on turbo compressor housing to hook up my manual boost controller is thre another place i can hook it up to ir do i have to drill it out on the compressor?

ok but where would that be at right b4 it hits my intercooler on left saide ? and also i saw in the forum someone that took there j pipe and drilled a hole and jv welded a nipple in would that work or should i get ti welded

alright thanks man ill do that tomorrow.sorry for being a pain int he ass thereso many difrent forums on mbcs it not even funny and i rather ask for help and get input then blowing my car up. ill let you know how it goes and im from wilkes barre pa prob like hour hour half away from ya once i get ym car done we should meet up one weekend id like check your car out and talk to another dsmer

thanks Casey

umm i have that exact mbc and it says on the stickers arrow towards wastegate... why in this picture are they not going towards wastegate??? just curius i havnt hooked mine up so itl be good info for me..

Just a quick question. I have a bleeder style I bought used. I have everything hooked up as it is in the pic above and the waste gate still opens at 8 psi which is what the waste gate it set for. So my question is, what fails on these MBC? Right now it's just looking like the one I bought is broken but I'm not shure what is really wrong with it. How dose a bleeder MBC work?

[/QUOTE]Your first problem is this -

"ok so i ordered a manual boost controller off EBAY"[/QUOTE]

The NXS MBC from eBay is more than proving. Works as well if not better than a lot of these $70+ ones.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back