The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

EVO8 ECU now for 1G DSM > whos doing this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enash99

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 14, 2009
NPR, Florida
Reading on evolutionm.net i found a thread where they have rewired a connector to migrate an EVO 8 ECU into a 1G DSM. Now its in the 2G and i know some of the 1G guys on here have to be involved in this. Is this considered to be sucessfully completed for us meaning we can dump DSMlink or any other chip type mod for tuning our applications. I know you all are up to speed on the tuning ability of the EVO's and the WRX/STi's. Where you can reflash the EPROM that is on their native ECU. No need to replace the ECU with a stand alone or run a piggy back system. You can simply connect directly to the ECU pull off your ROM with ECUflash, then import your .BIN file into Enginuity and then adjust your map. I know all this info is a few months old now. I have used these programs for years tuning subies and a few EVO's. I will do a backflip off my roof if this truly comes to fruition. Has anyone on here been involved with this? Seems its a company out of Texas that is creating the interconnect from our wiring harness to the EVO ECU. If I can get the necessary plugs for both ends. I will get an EVO ECU and build the interconnect. I will donate my ECU to get this working. I want this bad!

Here is a link to the thread. Sry mods, not trying to publish another site here just linking to a resource of information.

Evo8 ECU in a 1G DSM in the works! - Page 12 - evolutionm.net

I'm not sure of the 1G hardware differences, but think only a few inexpensive ones need to be replaced. Like you said the Coolant Sensor, I think the TPS also.

Did you determine that the evo coolant temp sensor is different from the 1g? I've had mine evo in a 1g running for about a year now and I am still on the 1g sensor.

I have a question for you guys who have done this. I have an old dsm ecu that the caps were leaking so I took off the main white female plug but some of the little pins inside of it got damaged. Does anyone know where to pick up more pins of do i have to buy a whole nother unit.

I have a question for you guys who have done this. I have an old dsm ecu that the caps were leaking so I took off the main white female plug but some of the little pins inside of it got damaged. Does anyone know where to pick up more pins of do i have to buy a whole nother unit.

if there are a couple of pins that aren't used in the plug then you should be able to pull one out and move it over. i did that on my plug set that i made for my 2G. you just have to cut off the bent part (make sure you leave enough to solder to) from the back side then pull the pin trough the the front with a pair of needle nose pliers. it sucks but it can be done.

Yes, Mike is right, there are quite a few unused pins in the EVO swap that you can use instead. I think I had at least 5 or 6 empty pins when I was done.

What could cause there to be no cas signal with the evo 8 ecu? My mechanic is trying to do the evo 8 ecu swap in to a 1g but when he does he gets no cas signal at all, should he drop in a 2g ecu it will start right up. Immobilizer is set to 0 and he is using the edm roms.

What could cause there to be no cas signal with the evo 8 ecu? My mechanic is trying to do the evo 8 ecu swap in to a 1g but when he does he gets no cas signal at all, should he drop in a 2g ecu it will start right up. Immobilizer is set to 0 and he is using the edm roms.

are you saying that does start up with a 2G ecu or asking will it? also exactly what rom are you using?

are you saying that does start up with a 2G ecu or asking will it? also exactly what rom are you using?

If he puts in a 2g ecu the car will start but with the evo ecu it gets no cas signal. He has tried up to 5 different ecu's and no signal, not even a garbage signal nothing at all. He has used the most recent tephra rom and the 96530006 edm rom with the immobilizer set to 0. I don't have the rom so I can't post it but hopefully he will see this thread today and post it up.

A plug & play jumper harness will be ready soon. This will be for both the 2g 98-99 ECU & Evo 8 ECU. More testing to take place in the next couple of weeks.

Attachments

• evo 8 harness for 1g.jpg
    evo 8 harness for 1g.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,105
Why a 1g owner would use an Evo8 ecu over using Jackal, I have no idea.. Some people are just, well... never mind..

Let me get you guys honest opinion.

I have a '90 Talon AWD currently with an eprom, stock engine, FIC 1050's, magnus intake, FP2 cams and a 20g turbo. It is in the process of being completed and I would like to figure out what my best tuning option will be that will allow me to set it and forget it. I am kinda ass backwards so this will by my daily driver and I am buying an evo in a couple of weeks to make a track car.

So, what is the best option to tune my ecu and forget it?

You can put a H8 ECU (98 & 99) and they are re programmable and there is a guy on the forums Ceddy who is actually making his own tuning software which seems to be as good as if not better then Link. Not quite sure if its all done yet but you can research it under Ceddy mod in the forums

Not to bash on Ceddy or Tephra or anyone involved in reverse engineering mitsu oem ecus or anything. Good work by the way.
You people should not be comparing peoples work like that. They both work, they do all the coding while you sit back and run your mouth like you know anything. As far as I know currently, the OEM ecu options (evo8 or 2g H8 ecus) both rely on evoscan to do logging. Not to say anything bad about those guys who developed evoscan, it's logging rate is NO WHERE NEAR as fast as ECMlink. Also hate the fact that it cant live stream the graph. As far as functionality, yes they both do loadXrpm adjustments. How is either one better than the other? They both offer NLTS and Antilag. CEL disable funtions, SD funtions. Both of them has perfect control of the car as with any other tunable ECU. If anything, the guys with AFCs are missing out, those things are total hacks. One thing, that sets ECMlink apart from all the others out there. User friendly-ness, unholy fast logging that streams a graph at the same time. Way cleaner interface, fool proof.
So those who always want to make everything a pissing contest, try it before you bash it. Until you know, you dont know.
I personally use ECMlink in my personal DD/race car. I have a 98 ECU, have access to a million evo8 ecu's, and got a free AEM EMS Series 2 from AEM. I chose Link above them all because of the reasons mentioned above. I do all the DSM tuning at RRE now, and I've done them all. The first Evo8 ECU in a 2G was done by me. When Ceddy came out with the his mods, I offered that tuning possibility to the guys with 98~99 cars because it offers everything they could need, and save them money. 95 guys I tell them get link. 96~97 guys, you guys are sad out of luck.ROFL

I think the people doing this swap, like myself, do it because they like having fun with their car. I'm also very comfortable with ecuflash/evoscan. I think I have about $200 into swapping my car over. Rounding up about $400 to make it 100% plug and play for speed density with ecu boost including all the sensors and harnesses I've bought and/or made.

Why a 1g owner would use an Evo8 ecu over using Jackal, I have no idea.. Some people are just, well... never mind..

the why is simple.... people would rather be able to flash their computer than to have to right to a chip and pull their computer every time to change a chip. or to have a bunch of extra hardware to do it with......

Would that apply to a 1g?

yes because the evo is the car that uses a chip in the key to keep the car from being stolen so you have to disable it to make it work in any other car...

Let me get you guys honest opinion.

I have a '90 Talon AWD currently with an eprom, stock engine, FIC 1050's, magnus intake, FP2 cams and a 20g turbo. It is in the process of being completed and I would like to figure out what my best tuning option will be that will allow me to set it and forget it. I am kinda ass backwards so this will by my daily driver and I am buying an evo in a couple of weeks to make a track car.

So, what is the best option to tune my ecu and forget it?

well if it were me.... i would go with the EVO8 ecu. think about it this way..... with any other system ( whether it comes with its own hardware or not) you wont have a bunch of other crap lying around to have to use to tune with if you decide to make adjustments to your DD. ecmlink would be nice if you were constantly making upgrades to your car but $550 is a bit pricey for something you just want to set and forget. jackal or getting one of Jeff's chips would pro baby be your best bet to set it and forget it. a lot of people praise Jeff for his ability to burn a chip specifically for your setup, but i don't know if he is doing anything with SD if that is the way you are planing on going.

my $.02

There are so many options.

So I don't get it. Once the EVO 8 ECU is in the 1g, wouldn't you still have to buy EVOscan to tune it? It seems like it wouldn't be that much different in cost due to how much running an E8 ECU would cost compared to link. And with Sam@RRE's post I'm sold on link still due to user friendlyness.

Tactrix 2.0 cable with Reflash connector -180 +shipping
Evo8 Ecu - $50~$150
Jumper harness - $100 i guess, dunno what TunerNation will be selling those for.
EvoScan -$25
2G TPS -$20~$80
Evo Knock sensor (same as 2G, just shorter harness, also its more sensitive than the 1G sensor, a good thing, as discovered by RRE's Mike on the AEM EMS forums) - $90

Assuming the high price range, you'll be spending $625
Assuming the Low price range, you'll be spending $465

Really how much are you saving here? Not counting your time to wire in the tps and change the Knock sensor. Using 1 software to log, a different software to make changes. No live streaming currently, decent data rate (not as fast as link but good though). Granted there are a good handful of hacker tweaker guys in the DSM world, there is a good amount of you who are probably lost with the whole concept, know diddly squat about tuning and probably shouldn't be touching the wiring in your car.

Also Thomas and Dave spend a lot of their day, helping with base maps, troubleshooting issues whether they be user error, tuning doh!'s, or product issues on their forums. They make it fool proof, and if somehow you get lost or mess up, they'll hold your hand. Not many vendors do this.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back