The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dyno Tuning in Austin, TX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatblondechik

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2006
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Alright, so I booked a dyno next week at EDO and when I called tonight to confirm, they started telling me that they only had a Dyno at their Cali location?! WTF? Anyways, I'd rather not take my car to ProTech...they're dumb. So does anyone know another good tuning shop?

MZM? Colvin?

What are you tuning with? Cause if your profile is up to date, I see no reason that wouldn't take more than a few pulls down a back road somewhere to get dialed in. Also, no need to rev that high with that turbo . WTF

I'm a tuning retard. I can work on the damn thing all day long but I can't for the life of me put a proper tune on it. And with the new setup I have...I really don't want to eff anything up.

I'm a tuning retard. I can work on the damn thing all day long but I can't for the life of me put a proper tune on it. And with the new setup I have...I really don't want to eff anything up.

+1 for MZM

I was also informed to go to MZM for tuning, apparently they love tuning Eclipse's.
We'll see about that when they get a look at my setup....:hmm:

Howard Lane, right across the street from the FedEx station.

They tune anything for the right money. They love the Evo and STI most though.

I'll still think thatblondechik should spend some time doing it herself. Tune the idle, cruise, then slowly work up to the wot. You have a wideband, and the afc is way to easy to work with to pay someone to do it for you. You know what a/f ratio you are shooting for, so tune to it. Always play on the safe side though. My $.02

I think Road Race might have some afc tuning tips to get you started.

Who cares if she was trying to sell her car for the 10000th time, it's her car and if a sucker gives her the price she wants...why not.

She's got that Turboxs tuning software thingy... not just an safc :toobad:...

:sneaky:... just like that stock gsx that wanted like 15k...

Oh, her profile says afc and she didn't bother to answer when I asked. Good luck with that thing. MZM or Tuning Concepts (I think that's Justin's business).

LOL, there is a sucker born every minute though.

She's running an AFC piggybacked to a MAF translator. I bought her the AFC originally when she was trying to tune FIC 850's on a Translator alone, so I picked her up a set of brand new PTE 680's and we downsized to something a little more compatible with the Small 16G she had (now a Frank 16G / GT30R compressor).

I told her I'd buy her DSMLink, fly down to Austin and tune her car, then we could drive it back whenever she was ready to move to PA....guess that wasn't a good enough offer to get her to move.

Are we REALLY bringing that into the forums? Seriously. If you want to talk to me about stuff like that call me. I'd rather not broadcast all over the internet that you and me currently have issues.

And I apologize for not being a total gold digger.

As for the CL posting...I'm sure we've all gotten so frustrated with these cars that we're wanting to sell them. But I wasn't ripping ANYONE off...the listing was "BEST OFFER." I was offered $7.5k...but being addicted to this car, I turned it down. And yea...I've been selling the car since the day I bought it...just haven't gotten an offer I like. I did get offered a Bimmer once...but I didn't have a grand to throw in to the deal.

And as for tuning myself...yea. I'm the first to admit...I CAN'T TUNE WORTH $HIT! And I'd rather not mess anything up. I'm all for doing everything myself, but I'm big enough to admit when I don't know something. I would love to learn to tune, but there's no one knowledgeable enough in my area.

Bullshit! There are plenty of people who know how to tune and to teach you just look a little harder. Your problem is that you are running two piggyback systems, look it up they are not compatible.

Are we REALLY bringing that into the forums? Seriously. If you want to talk to me about stuff like that call me. I'd rather not broadcast all over the internet that you and me currently have issues.

And I apologize for not being a total gold digger.

As for the CL posting...I'm sure we've all gotten so frustrated with these cars that we're wanting to sell them. But I wasn't ripping ANYONE off...the listing was "BEST OFFER." I was offered $7.5k...but being addicted to this car, I turned it down. And yea...I've been selling the car since the day I bought it...just haven't gotten an offer I like. I did get offered a Bimmer once...but I didn't have a grand to throw in to the deal.

And as for tuning myself...yea. I'm the first to admit...I CAN'T TUNE WORTH $HIT! And I'd rather not mess anything up. I'm all for doing everything myself, but I'm big enough to admit when I don't know something. I would love to learn to tune, but there's no one knowledgeable enough in my area.

Are you seriously saying there is NO ONE in the Austin area that can tune a DSM? I can name 6-7 off the top of my head, and I'm not even really in the loop.

Like I said, your profile doesn't show anything that would take more than a couple of hours to safely tune on your own. If you are using 2 "piggyback" systems together, then you need to change that. I don't know enough about the MAF translator setup, but from what I gather you just adjust the switches to your injectors and fine tune with the AFC. Road Race has a decent how to on the AFC tuning. You know what a/f you are shooting for. How hard is it to adjsut a few switches and push a few buttons on an AFC? You really need to upgrade to something that gives you true control over fual/air/timing, but that is not the issue at hand.

And for the record, who would have known you 2 were having issues if you wouldn't have put it out there.

:thumb:

Your problem is that you are running two piggyback systems, look it up they are not compatible.
Guys have been stacking Translators with AFC's for years in order to run larger injectors than what an AFC alone will allow and still fine-tune the air / fuel ratio across the RPM range; I don't know where you're coming up with the two not being compatible.

You really need to upgrade to something that gives you true control over fual/air/timing, but that is not the issue at hand.
What she could sell the AFC, Translator, and fancy-pants logger for would practically buy DSMLink / ECMLink with little out-of-pocket investment other than possibly the need for a '95 ECU....I've told her this time and again as well. I don't think she'd need a dyno tune with ECMLink either as the software is very user-friendly once you get used to it.

The biggest benefit to the upgrade would be no more injector compensation through airflow correction- your injector size will be applied directly to the stock fuel map. No guesswork, no trusting the Translator.....you could literally set the global correction to your injector spec and the car should at least have stock driveabilty, just as a normal chip-tuned EPROM setup would.

Are you seriously saying there is NO ONE in the Austin area that can tune a DSM? I can name 6-7 off the top of my head, and I'm not even really in the loop.

Like I said, your profile doesn't show anything that would take more than a couple of hours to safely tune on your own. If you are using 2 "piggyback" systems together, then you need to change that. I don't know enough about the MAF translator setup, but from what I gather you just adjust the switches to your injectors and fine tune with the AFC. Road Race has a decent how to on the AFC tuning. You know what a/f you are shooting for. How hard is it to adjsut a few switches and push a few buttons on an AFC? You really need to upgrade to something that gives you true control over fual/air/timing, but that is not the issue at hand.

I use my MAFT to compensate for injectors. The AFC, like Justin said, is for fine tuning. I'm no expert on anything...I just can't tune worth crap.

And as for not knowing enough people? I'm a full time student, I work full time, I help take care of a 2 year old and a 3 week old on a daily basis, and I have many other important things that kind of throw "socialaizing" and car crap to the bottom of the priority list. The car is a hobby and for the past year it's pretty much been on the back burner.

Bullshit! There are plenty of people who know how to tune and to teach you just look a little harder. Your problem is that you are running two piggyback systems, look it up they are not compatible.

It's a small town we live in, Wade. I wouldn't go bashing people. :thumb:

Wow this is crazy you people need to calm down we are all on the same team as far as the cars go. yes dsm link is a great tuning soft ware we all know people tune with maft also. And personally i can't tune either but have nothing to tune with. But if i did i wouldn't trust myself to do it until i understood it backwards and forward. Nothing like blowing up your motor with the push of a couple of buttons. As far as there being no one in austin to tune. I knew a some people when i lived there but its been a couple of years since i have talked to them. You may know a Chris and Brian two brothers. One drives a 2g and the other a 1g. Anyway people just calm down... there is too much hostility among the dsm community.

Wow this is crazy you people need to calm down we are all on the same team as far as the cars go. yes dsm link is a great tuning soft ware we all know people tune with maft also. And personally i can't tune either but have nothing to tune with. But if i did i wouldn't trust myself to do it until i understood it backwards and forward. Nothing like blowing up your motor with the push of a couple of buttons. As far as there being no one in austin to tune. I knew a some people when i lived there but its been a couple of years since i have talked to them. You may know a Chris and Brian two brothers. One drives a 2g and the other a 1g. Anyway people just calm down... there is too much hostility among the dsm community.

I don't really think anyone is worked up, just coming across wrong on the internet. As far as Brian and Chris...I believe Brian moved when FP moved. Unless there was another Brian/Chris brother combo I was not aware of. Did you used to come to any of the meets?

I use my MAFT to compensate for injectors. The AFC, like Justin said, is for fine tuning. I'm no expert on anything...I just can't tune worth crap.

And as for not knowing enough people? I'm a full time student, I work full time, I help take care of a 2 year old and a 3 week old on a daily basis, and I have many other important things that kind of throw "socialaizing" and car crap to the bottom of the priority list. The car is a hobby and for the past year it's pretty much been on the back burner.

I understand the time thing with a 3 month old and a full time job. I have new parts sitting that would take no more than 2 hours to do, but I just can't find time to waste that time on a car that runs and drives decent. In the end it is your car and if you choose to have someone else tune it, be sure they understand both systems and how to make them work together. Have them explain to you so you know they know. If they don't know, walk away. You really don't have many shops that tune locally and other than a member tuning it all shops have been mentioned in this thread.

Guys have been stacking Translators with AFC's for years in order to run larger injectors than what an AFC alone will allow and still fine-tune the air / fuel ratio across the RPM range; I don't know where you're coming up with the two not being compatible.

What she could sell the AFC, Translator, and fancy-pants logger for would practically buy DSMLink / ECMLink with little out-of-pocket investment other than possibly the need for a '95 ECU....I've told her this time and again as well. I don't think she'd need a dyno tune with ECMLink either as the software is very user-friendly once you get used to it.

The biggest benefit to the upgrade would be no more injector compensation through airflow correction- your injector size will be applied directly to the stock fuel map. No guesswork, no trusting the Translator.....you could literally set the global correction to your injector spec and the car should at least have stock driveabilty, just as a normal chip-tuned EPROM setup would.

No need to sell me on Link, it works great on my car. :thumb: Took a bit to set it up (had some issues the afc masked), but I'm impatient and part retarded too.

Wait a couple of months and ill sell you my ECMLink V3....

Moving to AEM already? Don't even have the car running yet and moving on. I like it. :hellyeah:

yeah i used to go to the meets when i lived there. When i was there the meets where at the vans by burrnet road, then after that moved over to edo before they switched buildings. I has been a long time since i have been there in my car. And I agree with you christi that is the worse place you could possibly take your car. I remember my friend that took his talon there and they lost one of his cam shafts and took months for his car to be up and running again.

OP I hate to chime in since I am not local to you but after reading through all this crap, If you will meet up with Bones who posted earlier in your thread I could easily walk him through tuning your car over the phone. A afc is the easiest device to tune with.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back