The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Radiator fans with shroud ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmj89

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 11, 2008
Miami, Florida
I was wondering how does a shroud help keep temps down ? It looks more like it would block any extra airflow to go through ? Someone enlighten me. I look forward to buying a radiator/fan kit soon.

The shroud makes the fans pull air through the whole rad instead of just where the fan is

^^^^^ CORRECT ^^^^^

With a shroud in place................ properly sized to cover the core................... ALL air is pulled from the front side of the core, through to the back side.

It basically makes your fan set-up more efficient.

The shroud DOES decrease airflow at higher speeds when the effect of wind surpasses the effect of the fans. Never a benefit without a drawback...

Like Mike mentioned, there are down sides to running a shroud. I guess if your having cooling issues, you first need to figure out if your problem is more at slow speeds where the fan itself does most of the cooling (benefit from a shoud) or at higher speeds where the natural airflow coming across the rad does most of the cooling (may not benefit from a shroud). Also if your someone that runs the fans all the time, I guess that would come into play.

So lets say I wanted to make myself a shroud. What aluminum would you guys recommend. I'll let us use the factory mounting locations on the aluminum radiator and mount my fans accordingly.

Best places to purchase said aluminum online?

Thanks for clarifying that guys. I don't have any cooling problems, just unsure wether it'd be a necessary option when i upgrade my radiator and fans soon.

I would. I have a koyo rad in my 1g and with my front mount I had some cooling issues as most dsms do. At first I had a 12in slim fan and a 10in slim fan and it wasnt enough. I ordered the basic FAL setup and trimmed the bottom to fit. My cooling issues went away after that.

I feel a little noobish now that i just realized i misplace the shroud thinking it was a this big piece of metal that covered the rad part facing the engine. I saw a pic off punishment-racing's pic with the rad/fan-shroud kit and saw a big metal plate and thought it was that. Oh boy... Either way i think i'll get the shrouds since i live in florida and it's hot here most of the time.

I feel a little noobish now that i just realized i misplace the shroud thinking it was a this big piece of metal that covered the rad part facing the engine. I saw a pic off punishment-racing's pic wit hthe rad/fan-shroud kit and saw a big metal plate and thought it was that. Oh boy... Either way i think i'll get the shrouds since i live in florida and it's hot here most of the time.

I recommend the shroud. I live in Alabama and two 12" pullers were not enough last summer. I upgraded to 2 big daddy 13" FALs (yes they fit ;) ) rated at over 1500cfm each and will be making my own shroud if Tim at Punishment doesn't want to sell me one.

I recommend the shroud. I live in Alabama and two 12" pullers were not enough last summer. I upgraded to 2 big daddy 13" FALs (yes they fit ;) ) rated at over 1500cfm each and will be making my own shroud if Tim at Punishment doesn't want to sell me one.

Nice ! Talk about airflow. I guess it wouldn't hurt to shell out an extra $50 for the shrouds and better cooling aid.

The shroud is a great idea. In climates like you and I share (triple digits almost daily in the summer) it's all about keeping your cool at idle. I never had a cooling issue at highway speeds, even with underperforming fans. But they caused me grief at idle.

So lets say I wanted to make myself a shroud. What aluminum would you guys recommend. I'll let us use the factory mounting locations on the aluminum radiator and mount my fans accordingly.

Best places to purchase said aluminum online?
I'd use something like this

Circle track guys use it for paneling and other odds and ends. Just cut your pattern, fold endges over with a press brake, and drill and rivit.

But, a shroud isn't the greatest idea for our cars. There's not as much room between our radiator and engine like early model V8 cars. Not to mention that most aftermarket electric fans use what is considered a partial shroud surrounding the fan blades. I'd try ducting the air's entrance before I mess around with a shroud after the radiator core.

Doh. I can't believe I didn't think of this. Going this route would also eliminate the problem of hindering airflow at higher speeds.

;)

Plastic sheeting and racer tape:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Single best cooling improvement I've done yet. All air that travels through the intercooler now only has one way out: through the radiator core. This was only for experimentation purposes. Now that I know it helps, I plan to re-do it this winter and make it look much nicer. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back