The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

lexan windows [Merged 4-7] polycarbonate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

does anyone know how much the hatch frame of a 1g weighs in at? is it worth the 400 dollars for the carbon fiber one?

Has anyone tried the speedglass, and can you roll it up and down like normal windows?

Well, I managed to get one door done a couple days ago. I cut the polycarbonate sheeting with a jig saw and fine-tooth blade. Then I cleaned up the edges with a file.

Install was simple and it fuctions well enough. I can roll these up and down like a glass window, but without being thermoformed, it does take some finess to keep it in the tracks at all times.

Rolled up:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Half-way down:

All the way down:

This is an awesome modification to lose some extra weight. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Hmmm. I stumbled across this this morning after buying a circle track car last night. I would love to put some of the windows back in, and this would be the way to go without gaining much weight. The car at the moment weighs about 1,000 to 1,100 with driver.
Mike

Awesome job paul! Looks really good, I know who I'm calling when/if I end up doing this in the future. what was the weight savings total for the glass replacement?
What was the weight savings?
Unfortunately, I don't have an accurate scale at my house to use to determine weights.

Here's my plan, actually. I don't have my car in my possession right now; it's still off getting the cage welded in. But, as soon as I get it back, I plan to finish up all of the other windows. Then I'll bring one of each window to work and I'll weigh them up on our UPS scale. That way we'll have accurate weights on all windows before and after. This will hopefully take place sometime toward the end of this month.

make your own. Its fun and when its all done you can pat yourself on the back with the great job you did, our you can curse up a storm and start all over because you F***ed up.

What did you use to make the stock appearing black border around the lexan? Did you just mask off and spaypaint that border on the inside?

I'm still wondering about the speedglass, if anyone has it and if you can roll it up / down like normal glass.

What did you use to make the stock appearing black border around the lexan? Did you just mask off and spaypaint that border on the inside?
I'm also curious about this.

Unless I found a better method, I planned to use masking tape and a rattle can to make the borders on my rear windows.

I'm also curious about this.

Unless I found a better method, I planned to use masking tape and a rattle can to make the borders on my rear windows.

Yea thats what im going to end up doing. I was also thinking on some strips of vinyl on the insides, like the viny sticker material.

But masking it off and using a spray can i think will look better. Were
Just going to have to scuff the shit out of it so the paint sticks, othewise it will just flake off.. Also using plastic paint would help, then have it at home depot rustoleum makes it.

As far as I know they should be. They are shatter proof...fog resistant...scratch resistant.

I could be wrong though.

I was thinkin itd be cool to atleast do the rear side windows. If you did the front windows, how would you rollem down? If you did the hatch too, that reduce alot of weight.

Here's an idea...

Speedglass is just polycarbonate with an abrasion resistant coating. Lexan MR10 is one example that is made with abrasion and UV resistant coating. It's optically clear and made to resist vandalism and marring. You'll save some money for sure if you buy it from an industrial supplier. It even comes tinted, so you don't need to do that afterward.

McMaster Carr part numbers:
87245K61 Translucent with Bronze Tint
87115K61 Translucent with Gray Tint
8707K61 Clear no Tint

These sheets are 48"x48"x0.125" and sell for less than $165... Speedglass sells for a lot more. Cut to shape, rivet, rock your weight savings. :rocks:

If you're daring, you can try to thermoform the lexan over the stock glass shape using a heat gun. Be careful not to blister or sweat the surface by dwelling the heat in one location.

Is speedglass already molded for our cars?

I'm needing a front windshield and I'm wanting to cut/modify as little as possible

Is speedglass already molded for our cars?

I'm needing a front windshield and I'm wanting to cut/modify as little as possible

Yes speedglass can be purchased pre-molded to our window's shapes. :thumb:
But it is pricey. Also remember if you go thin you're going to want a support in the middle of the glass.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back