The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Interior Issue- radio relocation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justins99GSX

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 31, 2004
Somewhere, Arizona
hey there recently i moved my E-01 screen into the spot where my radio was. I've gone two weeks without any music and its kinda driving me nuts (although sometimes it is nice just listening to the engine....:thumb: ) but i would like to have the option...the first place i tried was the a/c vents right above the radio slot the piece looked good but radio is too deep, so a days work down the drain....the place i was wondering about was the lower part of the pass. airbag...anyone have any other ideas where i might be able to relocate my radio...i'll post pictures asap to show what i have done

Justin :dsm: :thumb: :thumb:

glovebox, bolt that shit under the steering wheel with a few L brackets....

dont just bolt it somewhere make it flow, try in the glovebox? or something along those lines .

bolt it under the steering wheel...lay glass over...there flowed...its not hard

Under the seat, pin two new connectors w/ wiring from the radio to the faceplate where they connect and put the face plate in the visor. Takes a little bit of work, it was my original plan, but im quite lazy.

Take your center console out and gut the back part of the vent out where the radio is hitting. Nothing beats a hack saw for plastic interior pieces... especially when they are hidden.

Maybe you could put it in your arm wrest area and have all the wires go under the other part of the rest where the shifter is, not sure how easy it would be to do but that would be pretty cool I think

yeah i tried lookin at the armrest but i dont think it's deep enough to fit my deck.... :confused: ill look again to make sure....about the face location and running pins.....do you know if they make some type of adapter that goes from the deck to the face????? i looked at it today and i would have to soilder 12 tiny little pins...that would be a bit^& if ya know what i mean :dsm:

sounds like you need a new deck :p
Ive put one in the center vent b4.

Id prob detach the face and remote mount it somewere, then just bury the rest of the radio under the seat/glovebox/etc if i was you.

I relocated my radio right where the cig lighter was...

I don't have any of the finished pics on the comp... but here is a pic of it when i was working on it.

Attachments

• Project1.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 588
Justins99GSX said:
hey man that looks sweet a lot of work though....how long did it take you to make????

I don't even remember how long it took... maybe a 1-2 weeks, due to misc. things that needed to be done (brackets, relocating cig lighter, extending the eye/volume/brightness on the t.v.) Then the obvious fiberglassing/bondo and the wiring. I did a little here and there, otherwise I would have had it done faster. I didn't want to rush it.

Interested??? Hit me Up... :thumb:

xBOOSTx said:
Interested??? Hit me Up... :thumb:

I am interested! Do you have any pics of the finished console?

*(did u still want that poster BTW?) :)

Nice work molding the LCD in the picture above. I was just figuring out where I want to mold my LCD (though much larger) and I never had the idea to just mold the plastic radio trim onto the center console panel from the start... that will make it much easier.

It is a 5" screen, that actually fits it well. It looks pretty small on the pic, but when it's in the car and lit up it looks good, I am actually trying to get rid of it because i am trying to do a larger screen with the small ps2 i have. The problem with using a bigger screen is that the screen size fits in that spot, but you also have to remember that the housing has to fit as well.

radio face mounted on headliner of 2g. radio mounted behind the gutted 7 inch screen. took some precise soldering but got it done

Attachments

• radio.JPG
    radio.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 571
  • screen.JPG
    screen.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 562
with your radio mounted behind the screen... how do you play cds??? are u using a ps2/xbox/dvd player mounted somewhere else???

Justins99GSX said:
thats pretty sweet with the face up there, what gauge wiring did you use and how hard was it to do the percision soldering??????? looks awesome :thumb: :thumb:

12 tiny gold connectors had to be soldered together, matched up with wires and making sure no solder gets on two prongs so the signal doesn;t cross over. i honestly didn;t do it my step dad is head of the electrical engineering department at a college here so he is the shit. my soldering skills are not up to that level yet we used a role of ribbon cable i had to get from a local computer hardware store so the wiring was pretty small about same that you find in ya comp. thanks for compliments im thinking of redoing tv for a cleaner OEM look

xBOOSTx said:
with your radio mounted behind the screen... how do you play cds??? are u using a ps2/xbox/dvd player mounted somewhere else???

as of right now i have a MP3 disk in the unit keeping me busy till i get my cd changer installed in the glove box.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back