The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Which oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Probationary Member
Sep 26, 2015
Stockton, California
I just recently bought a 98 gst spyder with 53k original miles. I was wondering which type of oil I should put in it conventional, synthetic, or semi-synthetic. Please help me out

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. Opinions very greatly, but generally use a full synthetic. A lot of guys on here use Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil (the blue stuff). I really love Shell Rotella T6 in 5w40. It is technically a diesel oil, but it's great for high heat applications and has lots of good additives in it.

I just put t6 rotella in my is300. No complaints so far.

I had been using mobile 1 synthetic exclusively in all my cars since 2003.

I use OEM filters as well.

I really hate Mobil 1. In my experience it gets extremely thin very fast and none of my motors ever sounded quite right with it. I've used Mobil 1 in my BMW E36, my 2G, and some trucks. Blegh. I use Castrol Edge Extended Performance in my Tundra and it's awesome as well, just a bit spendy per quart depending on where you get it. For shorter oil change intervals in cars you beat on (DSMs..) I'd use Rotella honestly. It can be had for cheap at Walmart. Other than an OEM filter, WIX would be your best bet for a local buy. WIX is by far the best parts store filter.

Wix and Rotella. Yeup

FP has a pdf floating around comparing oils. Rotella had one of the highest zinc concentrations outside of race oils

And congrats on the spyder!

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. Opinions very greatly, but generally use a full synthetic. A lot of guys on here use Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil (the blue stuff). I really love Shell Rotella T6 in 5w40. It is technically a diesel oil, but it's great for high heat applications and has lots of good additives in it.
Blue? Mines always been golden. It gets dirty pretty quick but is good stuff. All the bearings and everything are still shiny and smooth.

Blue? Mines always been golden. It gets dirty pretty quick but is good stuff. All the bearings and everything are still shiny and smooth.

I'd double check which oil you're buying if it's not blue ;) Unless they changed it! The last time I used it was in 2012 and it was definitely as blue as a berry Jolly Rancher.

I would use Rotella t6 5w40 synthetic as said above by a few others. I personally use an oem filter and tend to buy them whenever I order from extremepsi, otherwise a wix will do fine as well.

Thanks but What about Mobil 1 ?
Mobil 1 isn't good like it used to be. Its been watered down. Look at that link about oils by FP they created a thrust bearing failure by using it.
I'd double check which oil you're buying if it's not blue ;) Unless they changed it! The last time I used it was in 2012 and it was definitely as blue as a berry Jolly Rancher.
They must've changed it. I've been using it for close to 2 years now and its always been gold bronze in color.
What weight do you guys run?
a mix of 20w-50 and 10w-30 for when its colder here (40-70 degrees) and straight 20w-50 when its warmer (60-90 degrees). Out motors like thicker oil. I guess the thicker oil provides more support in journal bearings and things. Its advised to at least use 10w-30. Most mild to modest builds (300-400whp) run 15w-40 or 20w-50. A majority of guys run 20w-50 for higher HP stuff in moderate to warm climates like here in california. FPs Evo ran Brad Penn 20w-50 per that link provided by weasel1G

Mobil 1 isn't good like it used to be. Its been watered down. Look at that link about oils by FP they created a thrust bearing failure by using it.

They must've changed it. I've been using it for close to 2 years now and its always been gold bronze in color.

Agreed, Mobil 1 was great, once upon a time.. :hmm:

So off topic now, but looks like you've been buying a different oil than I was talking about! :) As seen on Valvoline's website, "Valvoline's advanced synthetic, Valvoline™ Racing Synthetic (VR1™) Motor Oil, is easily distinguished by its sapphire blue color, but the real difference is the track-proven, high zinc additive package engineered to increase horsepower and provide extreme wear protection." (http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/racing-synthetic-motor-oil)

I really hate Mobil 1. In mgperience it gets extremely thin very fast and none of my motors ever sounded quite right with it. I've used Mobil 1 in my BMW E36, my 2G, and some trucks. Blegh. I use Castrol Edge Extended Performance in my Tundra and it's awesome as well, just a bit spendy per quart depending on where you get it. For shorter oil change intervals in cars you beat on (DSMs..) I'd use Rotella honestly. It can be had for cheap at Walmart. Other than an OEM filter, WIX would be your best bet for a local buy. WIX is by far the best parts store filter.
I agree. Ive used only mobil 1 for years and just made the same switch. It gets super thin.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back