The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Bent Valves, Dented Pistons due to timing belt jump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
Well you all helped me out in teaching me how to remove my head after my car stopped running because timing jumped (for whatever reason).

Well I got the head off, and things are not looking good.

I have bent 8 exhaust valves.

All 4 pistons are dented.

Do you have any thoughts on what my next move might be? Should I give up, and sell the car as a shell?

Should I investigate further?

Here are some pictures for your reference:

Thank you for your thoughts!

Attachments

• DSCI0024.jpg
    DSCI0024.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,788
  • DSCI0025.jpg
    DSCI0025.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,098
  • DSCI0026.jpg
    DSCI0026.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 4,073
  • DSCI0027.jpg
    DSCI0027.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,919
  • DSCI0028.jpg
    DSCI0028.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,696
Install a new head, new timing belt, new tensioner and tensioner pulley and put it back together.. Why would you sell the entire car?

Install a new head, new timing belt, new tensioner and tensioner pulley and put it back together.. Why would you sell the entire car?

Don't I need to get new pistons?

From what it looks like both at one time skipped timing.

AS long as non of the pistons are cracked, which they look fine, scratches in the walls of the bore and as long as where the valve hit did no mushroom it into the cylinder walls, which it did not.

Your fine get another head and throw it on there, in fact i may have one and your 100 miles from me so if you want i can sell you one and put it on, it is not that hard.

My motor that i have now is in worse shape that those piston tops. you should be fine.

Thanks so far everyone...

You are right on this being the intake side.

Don't touch the pistons. The timing belt boogie goes like this: Junkyard head, gasket kit, timing belt kit, put 'em all together, boost it.

I've run pistons that were much worse than that, zero problems. You could see the impression of the valve in the center of the one. Screw it, these things break all the time anyways (well... maybe with attitudes like that there's a reason for it?).

Don't touch the pistons. The timing belt boogie goes like this: Junkyard head, gasket kit, timing belt kit, put 'em all together, boost it.

I've run pistons that were much worse than that, zero problems. You could see the impression of the valve in the center of the one. Screw it, these things break all the time anyways (well... maybe with attitudes like that there's a reason for it?).

The only thing that has me worried, is the junkyard head part. Should I get a junkyard head, my luck would guarantee that I'd get a bad one..........LOL.

You can always get it rebuilt at a machine shop for $300 or so, and it will come back in perfect condition.
A clean surface is a must when doing a headgasket.
Why did your Timing belt skip in the first place? worn out tensioner?

Haha, replace all your TB stuff. Everything, even if all of it is brand new. Not worth going through all that again. Also, pull all the components that have to do with timing apart. I had some less than skilled shade tree mechanics do a hack job that took me two busted heads to figure out on my car.

Thanks so far everyone.

I am reading about tendencies towards detonation and hot spots if I don't smooth out the edges of these nicks with a dremel etc.

Looks like half the people say to do it, the other half say not to bother. I do have a really good dremel, so it's really no bother.

Any thoughts on why, or why not? I can tell you that I do like to run high boost on the car, and don't want to be more prone to detonation simply because of these nicks.

Finally, don't I want to clean the piston tops up before I reassemble? If so, what do I clean them with?

I am pretty happy that I don't need to give up on my car!

You need something like brake parts clearer that does not leave any resadue and dries quickly.

Ok, now I know what to do to clean the pistons.

I still need your comments on the piston nicks. I don't want hot spots.

Thanks again

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back