The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch slipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGST98

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2011
las cruces, New_Mexico
I have a stock 98 gst clutch with a holset h1e turbo :) As you can imagine the clutch is slipping on a hard fast pull.. What clutch would you guys suggest?? Its stock internals for now.. eventually will be 272 cams and 9:1 pistons standard bore..

Im thinking the XTD Xtreme 4 or even the 6 Pluck Clutch as it reads Torque Cap. 505ft/lbs and holds roughly 545hp

Any suggestions??

Whats your $ limit?

2 but would go close to 3 if need be... should have added on there as well.. I should replace the flywheel as well to you guys think.. Or would the stock flywheel if no cracks or warping be ok with a new clutch and pressure plate??

It'll be fine after getting it re surfaced and step height checked.

I used the XTD for a few months, no problems with it... engagement was a bit harsh as it was unsprung, but other than that it was ok. ACTs are pretty good, though some people have had issues with the springs blowing out of the disc.

It'll be fine after getting it re surfaced and step height checked.

thanx bro..

I used the XTD for a few months, no problems with it... engagement was a bit harsh as it was unsprung, but other than that it was ok. ACTs are pretty good, though some people have had issues with the springs blowing out of the disc.

Thanx, I think ill go with the XTD.. what type of harsh engagement problems did you have and how long did it last? you know the difference between the 4 and 6 puck?

thanx bro..

Thanx, I think ill go with the XTD.. what type of harsh engagement problems did you have and how long did it last? you know the difference between the 4 and 6 puck?

Harsh meaning it would be engaged as soon as its engaged--- you cant slip it and be half way in/half way out. This would give some drivetrain noise in my driveshaft from the "sudden" shock of receiving power from the engine.

Are you literally asking me what the difference between 4 and 6 puck is? The word puck refers to the amount of "ears" on the clutch disc. 4 puck has 4 and 6 puck has 6. If youre asking about power handling differences, then Im not sure--- read the specs for that.

Are you literally asking me what the difference between 4 and 6 puck is? The word puck refers to the amount of "ears" on the clutch disc. 4 puck has 4 and 6 puck has 6. If youre asking about power handling differences, then Im not sure--- read the specs for that.

LOL I know 4 is 4 and 6 is 6..LOL didnt come out right.. meant to ask if you had a 4 or 6 and if there was a big difference.. I know that with 6 theres less slippage grabs tighter faster and longer... thanx for the info man.. Prob going with a 4 as its still a driver and not a racer...

thanx again both of you..

I would take the recomended tim zimmer route with the ACT 2600 and the south bend kevlar full face disk. he's been there-done-that for times and power and says it's good and holds so the next clutch i get if it's not a twin disk it will be that exact combo from his website :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back