The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

automatic transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reyg

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 31, 2008
va beach, Virginia
So every morning for about the past month my transmission has been acting wierd. For some reason my car does not shift until about 5 mins or so of slow driving it. I will drive to about 15-18mph sand let off because the tranny hasnt shifted. Like i said I do this for about 5 mins'ish and then it decides to shift. After that it shifts fine... until the car is parkded and car gets cool then I have to do it again. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

how many miles are on the car? has the tranny fluid or filter ever been changed? do you let your car warm up before driving it or start and go?

Always let the car warm up. The tranny was rebuilt about 3 yrs ago. I just changed the trans filter and fluid about a month ago.

When they rebuilt it, did they replace the solenoids (there are 4 of them) or did they just test them to see if they were good? Also, you could be seeing signs of the TCU starting to have issues, maybe a cold solder joint.

So, to begin at ANY temps on a transmission it should shift without any problem. If you still have a warranty of any sort get it back to the shop/rebuilder to have them look at it. A transmission pressure test will give you an idea, if it is internal or exterior wise problems. To me, it sounds like you have a governor sticking or solenoid problem...

I would look at faulty/sticking solenoids, and or valvebody. If the solenoids are original, I would replace them. Flush out the valvebody, sticky or dirty check balls will give anyone fits.

It stays in 1st gear right? I had an auto trans that would stick in 2nd gear. You could drive it and it shifts into second then it stays in second until you shut the car off, then it would do the same thing again when you start it back up. It was a solenoid like right in front of the trans (I didn't change it myself and it's been 4 years so I can't recall exactly) This was on a 420a trans and I used one off of a chrysler 3.0 v6 mini van. It felt as if it improved shifting too. Maybe a solenoid?

TCU was also replaced. Is there any proper way that I could test the solenoid or check the valve body on my own to make sure they are ok?

Also can having too much or too little ATF cause this issue as well?

Yes, when I upgraded my stock cooler on my GST, one of my lines was leaking pretty bad and the car started to shift like crap. Fixed the hose, topped it off and zero problems since. I never have over filled ATF but I believe that's not good to do either. 126,XXX on the stock auto trans and she still shifts perfectly.

Only if you are draining the TC. Otherwise, it is 3.2 quarts if it is just a filter/pan fluid change

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info. turns out it was really low. Guy at pep boys told me it was only 2.1 qrts. Hopefully this fixes my shifting issue.

The ATF expands when it's heated. So after driving a while the fluid level rises and it seems to work OK. This is not a good thing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back