The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 2g wiring in a 1g ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98awdtsi

Proven Member
Oct 25, 2015
Georgetown, Ohio
Hey guys, haven't posted here in forever, but this is what I'm dealing with.

Little back story, I have a 2gb talon awd manual. It is currently hardwired for a 6bolt swap, everything is good as far as that goes

I am trading my buddie for a 92 awd 4 bolt rear 6bolt laser

This is where it gets tricky.
I have all my tuning software for the harness box and a pre tucked engine harness/ fuse box.

I am wanting to use the h8box in the laser just so I don't have to go spend the money on link and everything else. Am I able to swap in the 2g wiring without any issues or with some minor wiring work to make it happen?

Or just a simple ecu swap would be better. I'm not to picky at this point. Just want to be able to use my ecu. I have done some research on the subject but to my surprise I can't find a solid thread on it.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

I think as long as you do a full wiring swap, have all the proper sensors, etc... there shouldn't be a problem. Shouldn't being key word. There's always something unforeseen that could pop up.

I'm open for either doing the full wire swap or just the ecu swap. We have everything needed/ knowledge to do both. We have been wire tucking the engine/ fuse box harness's on dsms for a while now so it's not to scary.

But in regards to the ecu swap what do I do about the other plug by the obd port that the laser does not have, opposed to my 98 talon? Is that covered in the link that was posted above? I skim read it while I was at work but haven't had time to thoroughly read through it.

Is that easy? To be honest I've never done it?

We have been wire tucking the engine/ fuse box harness's on dsms for a while now so it's not to scary.

If you're qualified to do this then you should understand what it takes to run the two connectors. I assume you have wiring diagrams and know how to read them.

You'll need the connectors from a donor and wire for the couple of signals that run from ECU to the connector plus power and ground.

Okay I can do that just gotta find some plugs. And everything else is pretty straight forward? Side note.

I have a plug and play harness for a 2g maf to the speed density set up, in theory I should be able to swap from 1g maf to 2g maf and use the cable for SD as intended for the 2g?

Another question I just came across while researching the ecu swap,

Say I do just the ecu swap, does this mean I'm going to have to run the 2g style cas and all that junk? Or am i missing something?

I'm halfway tempted to just swap all wiring over to make this more easier then doing hours of research, then modifying a spare 2g harness we have for the ecu plugs and obd 2 ports to get my ecu to work and have all the features of my 2g harness that's already hard wired for a 6 bolt. Does this make sense to some people or am I just sounding crazy?

We have the following cars right now to have parts from as well as 3 spare fuse box harness/ engine harness's

-1992 laser
-1998 eagle talon -6bolt swap ready
-1997 eclipse gst
-1993 eagle talon

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back