Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Turbo System Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Turbo System Tech: 4G63 turbos, Intercooling, Boost Control, Wastegates, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 03:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 222
Photos: 2
Classifieds Rating: 5

evo 3 16g

I did some searching and I just want to verify. Is a 16g from a 2003 evo considered an evo 3 16g? Also is that the better 16g? I just got one with manifold and wastegate and o2 bung. Is all I need now a 2g install kit to make this work? Also the Turbo looks backwards like the intake is on drivers side. Do i just flip the Turbo around as I heard the evo 3 manifold will work on a 2g. Thanks for any replies

I also bought a Wally 190 I have a maft installed and safc2 will 550cc injectors and the Wally 190 with safc2 be sufficient for this?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 7,782
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to Bud92gsx
An evo 3 turbo came off an evo3..Not a 16g out of an evo 8..

That's an evo 8 16g..Can work with a lot of modification..But you could probably pick up an evo3 for less than you would have into making the evo8 turbo work..

An actual evo 3 will work on a 2g dsm..But evo 8 will not*- note the astirisk

Dsm is down yet again.Whats new
View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,039
Photos: 43
Classifieds Rating: 34
Evo IX Turbo, For a pic of how much work it would take to mount, different turbo, but difficulty is the same
Evo 8 turbo on a 2g?

It will take a lot to get it to work, and as stated by Bud, you'll end up spending as much as just buying the normal Evo III 16g that works with only the addition of an install kit

Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 38
Photos: 15
Classifieds Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizdt View Post
Also the Turbo looks backwards like the intake is on drivers side.
Kinda answered your own question. Heres a link.

evo8 turbo on a 2g is it possible?

Short answer: No it will not bolt up.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,738
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 216
A 2003 Evo VIII is far different from a 1995 Evo III. The turbo you have there is indeed a 16G but has no promise of bolting to a DSM without extensive modification.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 264
Photos: 17
Classifieds Rating: 3
A evo III 16g is not from a 03 evo VIII. The turbos are completely different. And you pointed out one of the big flaws of the turbo being backwards and facing the wrong way. The evo 8 turbos wont work without some fabbing and changing of a lot of things. A evo III 16g is off of a actual evo 3, not the year. Not sure on the years but i believe mid to late 90's to early 2000 evo's. Youd have to wiki that exactly. And yes the actual evo III 16g is the better of the 16g's you can get for a dsm. They flow the most air. If you do a little google search on 16g, there will be tons of info on them. If you have a real evo III 16g, then all you really need is a different oil feedline, modified oil return line and bend your water pipes and a j pipe and itd save you the 200 from a install kit. Or spend the money and buy one. But from what it sounds like is you have a evo 8 turbo which will not work without time and some money invested. In fact i dont think it will even work and wouldnt even be worth a shot to try. Just sell it and buy a real 16g. Theyre fairly cheap now.

As for injectors and fuel pump, that should be what you would want on a safc. I think they can only tune to those injector size. So youre fine there. And the wally 190 is a good fuel pump to run for your setup. Unless you have further plans, then a 255 would be better. Or even a evo 9 fuel pump. But you would then need a afpr if you went with those. But not for a wally 190. Hope some of this helps. And good luck!

Edit: dang everyone beat me. Haha. Oh well some more info i guess. Ha.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,064
Photos: 43
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 24
what they said

EVO VIII TURBO Vs. Evo III Turbo

Old 12-28-2011, 03:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,769
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 16
Anyone ever make a twin scroll mani for that bad boy yet?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

I just got it for 100 bucks which is why I asked.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 156
Photos: 30
Classified Ads: 1
You got your self a fancy paper weight.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Couldn't I just pop the Turbo off flip it around and drill 2 new holes and tap them so I wouldn't have to buy the flange on eBay that flips the Turbo around? Or would that make it spin backwards

Last edited by JusMX141; 12-28-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I just got it for 100 bucks which is why I asked.
That's generally what they go for because they fit nothing outside of the Evo VIII / IX platform.
Quote:
Couldn't I just pop the Turbo off flip it around and drill 2 new holes and tap them so I wouldn't have to buy the flange on eBay that flips the Turbo around? Or would that make it spin backwards
Do what now?

You shouldn't mate a twin-scroll housing to a single-scroll manifold regardless.

You can't mount this turbo in the direction it was installed on an Evo or the o2 outlet will face the motor mount and the compressor inlet will be on the wrong side.

You can't flip the turbo because the shape of the turbine housing will force you to run without a rad.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

It would be great if one of these aftermarket companies would make us a twin scroll mani for the evo 8 16g. Twin scroll 16g sounds sexy haha. Plus $100 turbo's would be nice.

Shep should honestly, he'd have alot more transmissions to fix if he did Sounds like a win win for him.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91stocker View Post
It would be great if one of these aftermarket companies would make us a twin scroll mani for the evo 8 16g. Twin scroll 16g sounds sexy haha. Plus $100 turbo's would be nice.
Study what I wrote above along with the photos and you'll see why that would be nearly impossible while keeping the install user-friendly.

Now the Evo X turbo, on the other hand....

Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusMX141 View Post
Study what I wrote above along with the photos and you'll see why that would be nearly impossible while keeping the install user-friendly.
Ok so a mani and a o2 housing haha

Quote:
Now the Evo X turbo, on the other hand....
Hows that differ from the 8?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)

The Evo X 152G6 is a standard-rotation TD05H turbo. All you'd need is a twin-scroll manifold to fit our heads along with a complete Evo X turbo (including the o2 housing), and the turbo placement and fitment would be nearly the same as one of our current turbos.

1st twin scroll 20g on DSM !!! (EVO 10 turbo)

Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,961
Classifieds Rating: 19
Reputation: donniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Quote:
The Evo X 152G6 is a standard-rotation TD05H turbo. All you'd need is a twin-scroll manifold to fit our heads along with a complete Evo X turbo (including the o2 housing), and the turbo placement and fitment would be nearly the same as one of our current turbos.

1st twin scroll 20g on DSM !!! (EVO 10 turbo)
Any reason why you couldn't just pop an evox chra, and compressor housing into a 7cm dsm housing?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

I sold it for 200 I'll just work on getting a big 16g

Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Tech Posts: 1,783
Photos: 23
Classifieds Rating: 21
Reputation: agentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toagentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toagentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toagentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
Any reason why you couldn't just pop an evox chra, and compressor housing into a 7cm dsm housing?
You totally can since they are both td05 turbos. I don't think you will benefit from the compressor housing though, its oddly shaped for out cars.

There is not benefit though, the evo x turbo is very similar to the 16g, the gain comes from the twinscroll hotside used with the 20g wheel. Spool of at 16g with the flow of a 20g.

Also its been done before:
Evo X 152G6 Compressor Wheel in a 14B Cover

Emma: 96 XJ H.O.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniekak View Post
The Evo X CHRA is slightly different than a DSM 16G where it fits into the turbine housing, and the Evo X oil drain flange is at a strange angle as well. I don't believe the CHRA's themselves will interchange, but you can use all the parts from an Evo X 152G6 in a DSM TD05H Big 16G cartridge if you get a 14B or Small 16G cover machined.

The 152G6 compressor has a smaller inducer than a Big 16G but the same size exducer. The blades are also thinner and the hub area of the wheel is smaller like an Evo III 16G wheel. It should basically fall right in between the Small 16G and Evo III 16G as far as airflow potential and efficiency.