The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

FP Raising Prices / 16G Turbo Price Increase

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EclipseOwner95

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2002
Jacksonville, Florida
So for the longest time the HTA68 from FP has been $925, I actually placed an order for one with a ported turbine housing last week and received it this week.

I happen to jump on FP's website to browse and noticed that now its $1145!?! I'm so glad I pulled the trigger when I did, my car isn't even close to being ready so I didn't need it for a few weeks.

It looks like the E3 went up in price as well, not sure what it was before, but its $699 now, seemed a little high for an E3. Guess our shit economy is impacting the vendors pretty heavily.

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what their supply was like at the time. Maybe they were sitting on a pallet of Evo III's at the time, and now it's time to buy more. Since the 68HTA is basically built from a Big 16G or Evo III 16G, it's price will obviously go up too.

Inflation and the devaluation of the American dollar in foreign markets. Our money is not worth what it used to be, so it takes more money to buy the same thing from the same overseas vendor than it did a few years ago. I see this with new Holsets right now....what I could buy for $550 shipped a few years ago now costs me almost $700.

Robert's overhead is most likely going up, minimum wage has increased, his employees that have been there for many years are going to want a higher wage, health insurance goes up anually, etc. Unfortunately you can't afford to be the cheapest around for very long.

Depends what their supply was like at the time. Maybe they were sitting on a pallet of Evo III's at the time, and now it's time to buy more. Since the 68HTA is basically built from a Big 16G or Evo III 16G, it's price will obviously go up too.

Inflation. Robert's overhead is most likely going up, his employees that have been there for many years are going to want a higher wage, health insurance goes up anually, etc. Unfortunately you can't afford to be the cheapest around for very long.

Your probably right. Overhead was more of what I was blaming it on, higher cost of raw materials, and our fantastic health care system, but your explanation also makes sense for the Tsunami as well.

I just hope FP's around for a long time to come!

Every vendor who sells the E316g will likely be increasing their pricing this month. It's hitting everyone, not just FP. RRE has something posted on their site about the massive price increase for that turbo this month.

Right, but people were talking about seeing increases right then, 8 months ago. I'd find it hard to believe they'd wait 8 months to increase prices on something that had immediate effect on other vendors.

But who knows, fortunately I got mine last week so no worries.
Nothing is immediate in the automotive industry. Most vendors and warehouses will hold off on a price increase for as long as they can, especially if they have a healthy inventory purchased on the old pricing. And in some cases, they will increase the price in small steps to help prevent sticker shock.

RRE's Website said:
Pricing Note 12/2011

Our supplier just told us our current cost on the 16G series turbo is $1470. At this price (and even at half of that) they are not worth the money. Maybe all the chinese copies ate into the orders enough that the volume dropped off? Maybe some international market politics are involved? Who knows. We used to be able to sell these things for $500 and make a little money on them. For obvious reasons for now, forget about these. Shop around a bit, maybe someone has new old stock. Just be sure you are getting genuine MHI parts if you are paying real money for one. Chinese copies can be had for about $225.

That's pretty serious. In that event it looks like my rebuild business may pick up greatly.

Strange that their claimed price is now $1470, which happens to be the part number of the Evo III 16G. :hmm:

Strange that their claimed price is now $1470, which happens to be the part number of the Evo III 16G. :hmm:

Now that you mention it, that is quite the coincidence. Well that just means they'll go way up in Canada then, ours were already in the vicinity of 600$-700$ new.

Well.. if you order quick from STM Performance. Their website still lists the HTA68 for $945 and the e316g for $599.

I am tempted to get a new one before the prices go up.

Lurker. Their is a big 16g on toronto kijiji for $300, rebuilt with 0 km on it.
At least it was there last night.

Thanks Nitroazz, but I already have a 16g and if it dies I'm just grabbing a used 14b or just rebuilding mine. I don't need goobers of power :p I like little turbos.

Kinda worked out like the 6765 turbos a couple years ago. Two maybe three years ago you could buy a 6765 cheap, then demand kicked in and they cost a couple hundred more. Now days things are tight for everyone so people started thinking they'll go back to pushing goals on the 16g series turbos because they are more affordable, then the demand kicked in and guess what? Up goes the prices. Everything in this world is cat and mouse :ohdamn:

I am about upgrade to a hx35. I guess this means I can get a few extra $$ for my evo3 when I sell it.

Wow that's insane for a 16g, and i've just been jonesing for one to pay with.. maybe i better grab a burned out one now and hold onto it LOL. (or is it a ploy to sell more 68HTA's?)

Anyway,,, HX35 i'd love, 116g i'd like to play with and my 6776 is mean as hell and was only 11450 new for ball bearing and all :D

Well.. if you order quick from STM Performance. Their website still lists the HTA68 for $945 and the e316g for $599.

I am tempted to get a new one before the prices go up.

We can't sell them at the old [ our current website ] pricing. We don't have any on our shelf, and we are unable to update the website until after this Holiday Weekend.

Sorry guys,
-Brian Gleason
STM | STREET TUNED MOTORSPORTS | DSM | EVO | SUBARU | PERFORMANCE & DYNO TUNING

It will be interesting to see where people gravitate to next as a bolt on mild turbo upgrade, if the mhi-based turbos become too costly to remain competitive.
$1200 after shipping for an hta68 is just too much...there's no reason not to get a green at that point, with the billet wheel, for $150 over the hta68. It was for the most part worth it when I got mine, glad I got it when they were "cheap", LOL.....but that little jump in price does bring me a lot closer in trade value for an hta green or red when the time comes...

It will be interesting to see where people gravitate to next as a bolt on mild turbo upgrade, if the mhi-based turbos become too costly to remain competitive.
$1200 after shipping for an hta68 is just too much...there's no reason not to get a green at that point, with the billet wheel, for $150 over the hta68. It was for the most part worth it when I got mine, glad I got it when they were "cheap", LOL.....but that little jump in price does bring me a lot closer in trade value for an hta green or red when the time comes...

I feel ya, I think i can sense a large resurgence of both bolt on and non bolt on 50 trims inthe near future.. cause for 1000 bucks you can buy the manifold and the turbo both new (talking t-netics cast mani like i run and a new garrett 50 trim in to4e config, then the mod to down pipe it is like a simple curve to weld up and a small change in IC pipes , IMO it's nothing worth worrying about to swap over and i think many are just affraid it IS too major and that's what drives them to stay in an MHI bolt on turbo.. but hell with BEP and other botl on housings i bet we startto see a lot of nice larger compressor housing turbos being put on the cars of the masses :D

At least i would THINK that most logical people would go this route.. Hell i did my 16g to to4e 57 trim conversion in a garage late at night with nothing more than a chop saw and a mig welder (andhand tools), i mean i had to eventually clean up some piping a bit and make a better intake pipe out of aluminum cause i just had a filter on the front of the 57 trim but all in all with the water lines being regular pipe thread and such it is probably EASIER to mount a garrett T3 flanged turbo (if you have the manifold anyway) thanit is to convert from a t25 to 16g just because you don't have to figure how to flip and bend this line and that line and mess with idiotic J-pipes

well that's my rant.... at these prices i think the phillipines will stay broke rather than dig themselves out of the hole they're in. Hell i was looking at ESB external hard drives and the nicest one that was like 70 bucks is now like 200, so my friend i went with bought some other brand that was only like 105 for the same storage instead of getting the raped up price phillipines model that use to be cheap...

I JUST HOPE TO HELL it puts a HUGE damper on these ebay china/phillipines turbo copys that fly apart in 15 miles... When customers come to me with them i always feel bad letting them down but i refuse to install them based on not wanting them to have to deal with what's ahead, then i tell them put em back on ebay or use as paperweights..but the ones that listened all thanked me, the ones that didn't are now trying to make appointments to have damages repaired and asking me if i can rebuild or find replacemtns for the turd-bos they bought for 100 bucks new LOL

just checked some fast prices

new "real" 50 trim t3/to4e = 599
NEW "name brand" t3 cast manifold 325.00
add 100 bucks in misc. pipe, a few welds etc... to mount and adapt and it's a no brainer

Glad i got my manifold, just in case that went up more, was looking at a fp turbo, but illl stick to rebuilt ones, when i look at the new prices.

Looks like ill be coverting my 14b over to a hybrid, till im ready for a holset. :/
Wanted the 68hta, price was always something that I looked at closely with it, it only went up $120 but that finializes it for me. Ill be going a cheaper route which is better for me right now anyhow.

I think HX35's and HX40's are going to go up in price... again :) Better get em' while they're hot!

Or go to any junkyard and pull some in bulk. I see them all the time. The junkyard owners dont even know what they have and sell them for like $70-80 a pop.

I think whoever is hoarding the hx35/40's is going to be raking in the dough. Especially if they start selling them with pre-installed BEP bolt on housings or BEP T3 housings. I'd really like to find a good connection for a batmowheel hx40 compressor wheel...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back